Password

Album Review

Vega Under Fire - Life of the Party Album Cover

Vega Under Fire - Life of the Party

Reviewed by
Vega Under Fire - Life of the Party
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 16, 2008
In the city of Naples, Florida, if you were to walk the streets and ask the people to name one famous person or group of people from Naples, you would hear more people reply, Steven Spielberg rather then the band Vega Under Fire. Even though they have a big shadow to escape in Steven Spielberg, Vega Under Fire are poised to become the next breakout band of the year with the release of their new CD Life Of The Party.

Vega Under Fire pulls off radio-friendly, dance-able, and fun synth-rock-pop-punk sounds with just a touch of aggression to complete the package. The album starts off with the track "Fabricated Air," which allows the band to show off their strong points: grooving bass lines and catchy synths. Although this track may not be as radio-friendly as some of the others, it certainly gives the listener the first taste of the experience within this record.

The band has the ability to create a very different sound, one where they can craft easily-digestable pop music like Plain White T's and Motion City Soundtrack, but can possess these shades of something heavier, along the lines of Circa Survive. The talent of these musicians cannot be denied, as well as the strength of the vocalist Brian Blount. His voice is very interesting in how it can be so catchy and endearing to the listener.

Unfortunately, like most albums, this one also has it flaws. What Life of the Party lacks is mostly in its production value. It can be a very rough blend sometimes, often discounting the true ability of the vocalist. Also, like most bands, these guys are young, they aren't singing about anything too important because they are still so young and inexperienced However, it doesn't really take away from the overall feeling of the album (that is to say, the lyrics aren't cringe worthy).

So many bands in this generation's music industry can be discounted as being the same thing over and over again. But with Vega Under Fire, there is something special. Behind the front of catchy tunes, we can find actual talent and a diverse sound. They can meld together an impressive combination of dance-y party songs, with songs that can be rocked out to in your local mosh pit.

If you have to choose one CD to be the soundtrack to your summer, I'd give Life of the Party a listen and see if you can't not enjoy the songs and the approach to music that this band is taking. Definitely a band that will be making big steps in this year, and for many years to come, as long as dancing never goes out of style, these guys will always have a job.

Recommended if You LikeMotion City Soundtrack, All Time Low's Put Up or Shut Up, Plain White T's

myspace.com/vegaunderfire
This review is a user submitted review from GlamourKillsUs. You can see all of GlamourKillsUs's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
11:54 AM on 07/16/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Good review, I might be picking this up.
12:48 PM on 07/16/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
neat cover
04:11 PM on 07/27/08
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
i remember having a friend that took pictures for these guys a while back before they even had a cd. i might just check this out.
07:29 PM on 11/19/08
katelin
User Info.
they're really catchy.
10:36 PM on 01/06/09
eaviola
we are oxygen.
User Info.
these guys are illllll
03:29 AM on 12/07/10
dru
i know i got my issues...