Password

Album Review
Feels Like July - In the Company of Wolves Album Cover

Feels Like July - In the Company of Wolves

Reviewed by
Feels Like July - In the Company of Wolves
Record Label: Topshelf Records
Release Date: August 5, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Despite the fact that their members aren't old enough to drink, Feels Like July's In the Company of Wolves is a very mature release. Drawing more influence from Radiohead than Blink-182, this is the type of album you find pop-punk bands putting out as their third or fourth release after deciding to go for a more sophisticated, timeless direction. The difference, however, is that this is Feels Like July's full-length debut, and it's an impressive one.

"I Love It on the Railroad" and "Turning Our Backs On The Chaos We Created" are among the standout tracks, but the songs meld together, making the album, for the most part, come off as a single, forty-four minute musical piece. The music varies from Pink Floyd spaciness to Queens of the Stone Age-esque rock, but most often lies somewhere in the middle, the result being reminiscent of the slower parts of Glassjaw songs. The songs are intelligent, as are the lyrics. Vocalist Dan Bristol sometimes follows the guitar with his vocal melody (or vice versa), giving the perception that the voice is another instrument. Typical of indie rock, the production is fittingly somewhat lo-fi. It was self-released by the band -- who also produced, along with Brad McCarthy -- prior to them signing to Topshelf Records, who then re-released it to get the music to a wider audience.

Admittedly this style is not exactly my cup of tea (I generally prefer a more upbeat sound), but something has drawn me toward this release. Perhaps I'm biased because the quartet are fellow Massholes, but more likely it's because it's simply a good album. If In the Company of Wolves is the album they made with its members having an average age of 19, I can't wait to see what Feels Like July does in the future.

Recommended if You LikeThe Receiving End of Sirens; Circa Survive; At the Drive-In; Brand New

myspace.com/feelslikejuly

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
02:51 PM on 01/08/09
bentleyj98
Jimmy Bentley
User Info.
This is an excellent band and a very good review. I bought it at a show back in August and have seen them live 5 times. They pull off excellent energetic live performances that really connect with the crowd. They're one of my favorite bands
06:10 PM on 01/08/09
jennaksquared
User Info.
I wouldn't consider FLJ to not be up-beat, but, other than that, fair review.
I really enjoy this album, I'd definitely reccomend buying it and catching FLJ live if you ever get the chance.
10:04 PM on 01/08/09
goodlives12
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
BOSTON
this sunday.
catch these dude with MOVING MOUNTAINS @ the middle east upstairs!!!
18+ and 8:30 PM DOORS
www.mideastclub.com
08:20 AM on 01/09/09
jaimegill
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome band. awesome album.
12:43 PM on 01/09/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I wouldn't consider FLJ to not be up-beat, but, other than that, fair review.
I really enjoy this album, I'd definitely reccomend buying it and catching FLJ live if you ever get the chance.
Perhaps "upbeat" was the wrong word to choose. "Poppy," maybe?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos