AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lonely Hearts, The - Paper Tapes Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%

Lonely Hearts, The - Paper Tapes

Reviewed by: Garett Press (04/27/06)
The Lonely Hearts - Paper Tapes
Tooth and Nail Records
Release Date: 3.7.06

I’m perplexed by a paradoxical pickle of a predicament. The Lonely Hearts… they’ve got a really sweet-sounding charm, but actually sitting down and listening through Paper Tapes is like zoning out, eyes fixed on your favorite corner of the wall. That is, for a while it feels kind of nice, you sort of lose inhibition, but at once there’s that sharp thought that permeates your paralysis (it’s “P” day). That one thought? “Wait, wait… why am I doing this?!?!?” Oh sure, they’ll lure you in with those drip-droppy, unnecessarily sappy lyrics but take a dive and you’ll crack your head in such shallow waters. Will Holland’s vocal work is notable, in a one-octave wonder type of way. He’s got a lovely tone and decent amount of country finesse, comparable to, but not as rousingly perfect as Limbeck’s Robb MacLean. No question, there are enough semi-satisfying melodies to feed the lot and the style of music is a reprieve from an onslaught of cookie-cutters, but in this case that’s just not enough. “Weary Eyes” and even more so “Death of Me,” as their song titles would insinuate, hint at the possibility of a wrenching ballad but never deliver like say, The Format’s “On Your Porch.” “Heartbreaker” is one of the smoothest, catchiest joints to be found here, but again, the lyrics (‘Cause I’m a heartbreaker/I’m a heartbreaker/But I’m gonna try, to change your life/If it’s the last thing that I do/’Cause you might be a heartbreaker too”) will have you wishing Ashley Simpson’s writer would step in and talk the reigns; and sadly… I think Mariah Carey’s “Heartbreaker” bests it. The Lonely Hearts, if nothing else, are pleasantly soothing and if your pulse needs to drop 40 or so beats per minute, Paper Tapes is the background music you’ve been searching for. Yet, beyond a handful of tranquilizing mid to slow tempo jams, Paper Tapes is paper thin. New title: Soundtrack to a Zone-Out.

Score: {3.9/10}

Tracklist - Listen1. Passive Aggressive [Listen]
2. Mermaid
3. Love Comes Quickly
4. Heartbreaker
5. Weary Eyes
6. Love and Politics
7. Death of Me
8. War Brides
9. Good Intentions
10. Movie Night

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16.
12:21 PM on 04/27/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
I wasn't interested in this cd and someone I know said they really liked it, but after reading this review I'm not gonna touch it.

Thanks for the heads up Garret.
12:22 PM on 04/27/06
Throwback
The Swordsman
User Info.
This band makes me miss Holland. Such a great debut pop-disc.
12:31 PM on 04/27/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by GoWaitInTheCar
I wasn't interested in this cd and someone I know said they really liked it, but after reading this review I'm not gonna touch it.

Thanks for the heads up Garret.
Take a listen and let me know what you think!
12:57 PM on 04/27/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
This band was pretty freaking sweet live, I can say that much.
01:00 PM on 04/27/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Yeah, I find this CD ridiculously boring. Good review.
04:23 PM on 04/27/06
hieverybody
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i do not agree with the review. i like the album, but i'm in too much of a rush to list my reasons why. even though i don't agree with the review i enjoyed the use of all the big "p" words.

everyone listen to the album and make up your minds just like our fellow garrett did.
04:50 PM on 04/27/06
DanEmo
it ain't me, babe
User Info.
Originally Posted by Throwback
This band makes me miss Holland.

You're hereby invited! :)
06:16 PM on 04/27/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by hieverybody
i do not agree with the review. i like the album, but i'm in too much of a rush to list my reasons why. even though i don't agree with the review i enjoyed the use of all the big "p" words.

everyone listen to the album and make up your minds just like our fellow garrett did.
thanks man, that's a good comment, i appreciate the respect
07:50 PM on 04/27/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Garett Press
Take a listen and let me know what you think!

Well since you said so.. :)

I'll give it a listen but I won't expect much. I'll get back to you this weekend.

Thanks.
11:23 PM on 04/27/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Well since you said so.. :)

I'll give it a listen but I won't expect much. I'll get back to you this weekend.

Thanks.
You could just check out the one track I linked if you want... pretty much equivalent to the entire record
01:57 AM on 04/28/06
dutycalls
Is Alright.
User Info.
I disagree with this review as a whole, I'm a big fan of this album. However, I do agree on some of the points.
04:22 PM on 04/28/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
You could just check out the one track I linked if you want... pretty much equivalent to the entire record

I checked out the entire cd. Like tons and tons of cds nowadays (which is a shame) the first four tracks are the stand out tracks. I think I liked it a little better then you, and I'll probably listen to it every now and then, but it's nothing special.

I hope to read more of your reviews soon. I've been dying for someone to review Placebo- "Meds" it just came out recently. It's a really different record then what's come out recently. A review from you of it, may be interesting. Nevertheless if you don't wanna do it, no big deal, either way.
04:24 PM on 04/28/06
Garett Press
User Info.
I checked out the entire cd. Like tons and tons of cds nowadays (which is a shame) the first four tracks are the stand out tracks. I think I liked it a little better then you, and I'll probably listen to it every now and then, but it's nothing special. Not worth buying..

I hope to read more of your reviews soon.
Yeah i hear that about the first 4 tracks, it's a terrible epidemic. 'Preciate your interest! Thanks!
04:34 PM on 04/28/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Yeah i hear that about the first 4 tracks, it's a terrible epidemic. 'Preciate your interest! Thanks!

I do some reviews in my journal every week. Nothing special. Anything you'd like to see a review of. I know you do a lot of reviews, so I thought you'd maybe want to see other records that you like looked at from someone else's eyes. Hell, if cds you don't like.

I appreciate your interest in people here at AP, you're a good guy.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS