AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:39 AM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
WhateverShit
PA
Female
Blink-182 got comotion over them because they were GOOD!!!

Fall out Boy is terrible.
To Me.
10:49 AM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
JimGray
Boy Wonder
Woburn, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Overrated bands I like:

Explosions In The Sky
Moving Mountains (everyone's hyping them, but they have a way to go)
The Flaming Lips
Minus The Bear
Rites Of Spring
Fall Out Boy
Ceremony

Overrated Bands I Do Not Like:
Oh, Sleeper
Trivium
Six Feet Under
Architecture In Helsinki
The Dresden Dolls
Terror
10:56 AM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
adrianna-g
Adrianna
No Avatar Selected
New York City, NY
Female - 31 Years Old
you're right, when i think of "overrated", i think of bands or people that are constantly thrown into the lime light. Most of the time, these are younger bands people that cater to a certain demographic.

Being overrated to me means that the individual is gaining popularity because of themselves personally, NOT because of they're work. Examples would be Megan Fox, the only reason people like her is because she is pretty, she cannot act for shit. She is famous because she is hot, period.

Another big one would be Fall Out Boy, more notably Pete Wentz. All these teenie boppers think he is the best thing in the world, and unfortunately, he is dragging FOB into the mix. Just look at their promo pictures, who is always in front? Without Wentz im sure FOB wouldnt have all this trash talked on them and people may just like them for their music and not just for one member.(i dont like FOB btw haha)
younger bands, no, i don't think they need to be considered the ones in the limelight. these yougner bands that pete wentz puts out are a formula, just like backstreet boys, nysnc, etc were--its what sells. and if these bands are similar in sound, style, of course the same demographic will like them. but i dont think they need to be put in the overrated category.

overrated means that some big shot, whos opinion matters in the industry, loved them--and as sheep so does everyone else. It doesnt always mean that they get places bc of their looks, (ie Megan Fox---who by the way is an actress and Hollywood is all about sex appeal).....overrated is just a term applied for people who don't agree with whatever one else thinks about something. clear cut. i don't think circa survive is all that amzing--anthony green is by far not the one of best vocalist ever (which has been claimed)--but obviously he's doing something right for thousands and thousands of ppl to enjoy his music.

i love when kids say they sold out.....bands dont sell, they change, grown up, think in a different way in constructing their music.
Pete Wentz is an business man, he was the front man of the band, bc Patrick didn't and wasn't comfrontable with doing it. He is basically building these bands to the formula, thus adding to his success.
10:57 AM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
PunksNotDead!
No Avatar Selected
Ft Myers, FL
Male
Fall Out Boy, All Time Low, pretty much the entire powerpop scene.
me and 2 friends could do exactly what theyre doing. plus, Wentz sold out. I think he should get Arma Angelus goin again. that band kicked ass
10:59 AM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
JimGray
Boy Wonder
Woburn, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Fall Out Boy, All Time Low, pretty much the entire powerpop scene.
me and 2 friends could do exactly what theyre doing. plus, Wentz sold out. I think he should get Arma Angelus goin again. that band kicked ass

Sig'd for the Arma Angelus name drop.
12:36 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 23 Years Old
Verified
PUNX NOT DEAD

x
12:43 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
Dre Okorley
Undeclared
Staff Member
I agree that the Bbeatles are over rated but some of their stuff is good

If also not a fan, but in the context of their time, it was innovative and they had something else to say that made people think, I guess. That's why they became so big.
02:53 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
TangledUp
crazy cat lady
Arizona
Female
no, i agree. the way everyone talked them up, i thought they were going to be great. when i finally heard their album i was really disappointed.
I thought they were just terrible. I thought they were going to be good, too.

I like a lot of bands that are overrated. Just because a band is overrated doesn't mean they aren't fun to listen to. I think Jack Johnson is overrated but I love his music.
02:56 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
Dre Okorley
Undeclared
Staff Member
Urban Dictionary
Overrated:
See:
Ford Mustang
Notorious B.I.G.
Vince Carter
Dragonball Z
Myspace
03:03 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
TangledUp
crazy cat lady
Arizona
Female
lol Dragonball Z
03:18 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
raukura
oh wow D:
new zealand
Male - 23 Years Old
gaslight anthem
03:24 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
Poe-tryGirl
DADAIST DISGUST
Thomasville, NC
Female - 20 Years Old
Anything with Anthony Green in it. And The Starting Line.
NO!

Agreed.
04:23 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
thesafeword
-
Portland, OR
Male
Anthony Green projects, Coldaplay, The Beatles and especially Blink-182 and all of its members other projects.
05:55 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
mayhamandeggs
mayhamandeggs
Portland, OR
Male - 33 Years Old
Wow. Arma Angelus is fucking terrible. What a horrible band. Holy crap they're bad.
05:56 PM on 01/22/09 
User Info.
mayhamandeggs
mayhamandeggs
Portland, OR
Male - 33 Years Old
Pete Wentz should consider himself lucky that he hooked up with Pat Stump and the gang.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos