AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Your Best Friend - Your Best Friend Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 6
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5.25
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 64%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.71
Musicianship 8.63
Lyrics 7.67
Production 8
Creativity 7.92
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 6.58
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Your Best Friend - Your Best Friend

Reviewed by: Julia Conny (01/29/09)
Your Best Friend - Your Best Friend
Release Date: April 18th, 2008
Record Label: Unsigned

If guitarist and vocalist for Saginaw, Michigan's Your Best Friend, John Bonham, auditioned for a high school musical (or THE High School Musical), he might get an ensemble spot, maybe even a line or two. The lead would be left for some smooth-talking, more plastic and less emoting hot shot. And a couple years down the line, after the pain subsided and the ladies dropped their fantasies with dudes that can - according to Disney Channel standards - actually sing, Bonham would join a band and it wouldn't even matter that he was Chorus Line No. 4.

But who knows or cares if this really happened to Bonham, except maybe Geoff Rickly. When he starts up with the first track of his band's first full-length, a quick-to-speed opener titled "Dear Heavenly Father" with similar tones to any early millennium emo-rock, it's obvious that Bonham's husky croons are made for bare emoting. This also has to do with the lyrical content - repeated lines like Now you're here, can I cry now? Your open arms embrace me, with my open wounds still bleeding - that classify Your Best Friend as an open sore of thoughts, scribbled in a leatherbound notebook. Fairly predictable but before you go apologizing for bleeding on my shirt, don't. The earnest tone of Bonham and crew's vocals plus the reoccuring paternal theme give the lyrics a touching geuninosity.

Group vocals are a big project for Your Best Friend, and all tracks are stocked with boosting tidbits from the other three members. They too know how to caress their jagged edge like Bonham; no vibrato here, folks, especially not on the call and response of guitars and background vocals on "Near Perfect Wrists". On tracks like "White & Red", the vocals are raw where raw is supposed to be. Album blemishes like the hokey rapping on the beginning "The Path of an Illogical Liar", the scattered verses on "I'm Afraid of Myself and Everything I Haven't Done", or the overall under-focused choruses don't go unnoticed, but for the majority of Your Best Friend, vocal intuitions are more than sound.

At first the band's biggest fault is their lack of cohesiveness, but it's their first record - we'll give them a break. On "Decimals" and last track "Aboriri", the lack of invention in the band's transitions and general guitaring have run the gears dry. A matte glaze, the hits of Your Best Friend don't enrapture the mind, and the misses don't poison the bloodstream to the point of death, so really, Your Best Friend is straddling the middle line. At least they can "sing".

RIYLThursday, Tell All Your Friends, The Used, Thrice, Looking Glass Wars, Vendetta Red
More InfoMyspace | iTunes | Purchase

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 57.
04:26 PM on 01/29/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I listened to these guys on myspace awhile back and nothing really caught my eye. Good review.
05:16 PM on 01/29/09
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
I like this album. good for what it is. I'd give it a 75%
05:56 PM on 01/29/09
natedorough
FusionShows.com - Concerts in MI!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm a big fan of these guys, so I obviously disagree, but I do have to talk about your review. What the hell are you talking about in the first two paragraphs? It's like you took every complicated review you ever read, took the most cliche words from each one, and crammed them all together. I can't tell if you're bashing or praising their vocals.

I'm bummed that you don't like. I have the disc in constant rotation, and I love it. Maybe see them live on their spring tour, and change your mind?
07:50 PM on 01/29/09
Ferrison
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hmmm, I don't post often here, but this review is a sad read. I feel I should speak up. There are a lot of shit bands promoted and praised on this website. But when a band like this which is very talented and has a lot of honesty and emotion in their music which is a rarity in this "scene" gets a review like this it disappoints me. I'm really baffled, I strongly suggest to the author of this review to give this another listen. Sorry if this isn't the most well written reply but I know good music when I hear it so i had to say something. Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps I should give "Teen Hearts" another try, then again I could also stick my dick in battery acid and it would probably be just as gratifying.
08:06 PM on 01/29/09
M_naw
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm from Saginaw, and i've followed the band for awhile. I have to say that in my opinion they're great. There's not much out there like them, and they're incredible guys. I don't think you can fully form an opinion about Your Best Friend without seeing them live. They have a presence that is like no other. Therefore i must disagree with your review. This is their first album, and i think that it's pretty damn good for a first, and it's only going to get better. And I agree with the people above me as well, shit band are praised all over this website, and Your Best Friend gets a 64%

I suppose its all a matter of personal preference, and i prefer real.
08:10 PM on 01/29/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I'm a big fan of these guys, so I obviously disagree, but I do have to talk about your review. What the hell are you talking about in the first two paragraphs? It's like you took every complicated review you ever read, took the most cliche words from each one, and crammed them all together. I can't tell if you're bashing or praising their vocals.

I'm bummed that you don't like. I have the disc in constant rotation, and I love it. Maybe see them live on their spring tour, and change your mind?
It's the HSM reference, wasn't it? I'm a poser.

I like the vocals - actually, I thought I was fairly positive. I'd love to see what this band does live.
08:19 PM on 01/29/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Hmmm, I don't post often here, but this review is a sad read. I feel I should speak up. There are a lot of shit bands promoted and praised on this website. But when a band like this which is very talented and has a lot of honesty and emotion in their music which is a rarity in this "scene" gets a review like this it disappoints me. I'm really baffled, I strongly suggest to the author of this review to give this another listen. Sorry if this isn't the most well written reply but I know good music when I hear it so i had to say something. Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps I should give "Teen Hearts" another try, then again I could also stick my dick in battery acid and it would probably be just as gratifying.
Well, I don't have a dick, so I wouldn't know what it's like it dip it in battery acid, but I imagine it would hurt.

You make a really good point - they do have tons more emotion and honesty in their music than 95 percent of the crap out there, but I don't listen to that stuff anyway. I don't like throwing out the word potential very often, but YBF has it, and I'll be interested to see what they do next.
08:23 PM on 01/29/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I'm from Saginaw, and i've followed the band for awhile. I have to say that in my opinion they're great. There's not much out there like them, and they're incredible guys. I don't think you can fully form an opinion about Your Best Friend without seeing them live. They have a presence that is like no other. Therefore i must disagree with your review. This is their first album, and i think that it's pretty damn good for a first, and it's only going to get better. And I agree with the people above me as well, shit band are praised all over this website, and Your Best Friend gets a 64%

I suppose its all a matter of personal preference, and i prefer real.
Yeah, we've posted about a ton of shitty bands, but that doesn't mean that I personally LOVE The Maine and want to have Gabe Saporta's babies. I can only compare the album to my tastes and preferences at the moment.

I wish I could see every band before I wrote a review for them, but unfortunately, that's just not how it works.
08:30 PM on 01/29/09
Klatzke
User Info.
... I want to have Gabe Saporta's babies. It's just physically impossible.
08:39 PM on 01/29/09
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
... I want to have Gabe Saporta's babies. It's just physically impossible.
I'll do it for you for six figures.
08:52 PM on 01/29/09
Klatzke
User Info.
I'll do it for you for six figures.
hahhahahahh. I actually issued a suppressed - but audible - laugh on that one.
09:04 PM on 01/29/09
Tribute2Ben89
User Info.
I think you should give this album another shot. This record is easily one of the best of 2008, and it's disheartening to see it being under-appreciated on this site. They are very creative and genuine, and very hard-working. I honestly hear no true flaws on this album, and had a tough time reading this review altogether.

I really hope anyone who bases their opinion of the band on this review will strongly consider checking out their music and buying their album, they're solid dudes and their music needs to be heard.

I respect your opinion, however, and hope that you give it another go.
09:05 PM on 01/29/09
Klatzke
User Info.
I think you should give this album another shot. This record is easily one of the best of 2008, and it's disheartening to see it being under-appreciated on this site. They are very creative and genuine, and very hard-working. I honestly hear no true flaws on this album, and had a tough time reading this review altogether.

I really hope anyone who bases their opinion of the band on this review will strongly consider checking out their music and buying their album, they're solid dudes and their music needs to be heard.

I respect your opinion, however, and hope that you give it another go.
Who's baby should I attempt to have next?

While Saporta's baby is enticing.. I think I can find a better candidate for six figures.
09:08 PM on 01/29/09
Tribute2Ben89
User Info.
Who's baby should I attempt to have next?

While Saporta's baby is enticing.. I think I can find a better candidate for six figures.
I don't know what that means.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums