Username
Password

09:40 PM on 01/30/09 
User Info.
Ailite
one bright dusk
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 22 Years Old

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell is my favorite book. Its a novel with a peculiar setup- its six different characters/stories who's lives affect each other's across centuries. The characters range from a Christian sailor in the 1800's, a happy, bi-sexual composer's assistant in 1930's Belgium, a spunky journalist in 1960's California trying to uncover a conspiracy, an aging publisher who finds himself imprisoned against his will in a British nursing home in the modern day, a clone being interviewed before her execution in the distant future, and an old man telling stories around a campfire in post apocalyptic Hawaii. Seriously, this book will blow you away.

Today came the news that Andy and Larry Wachowski are developing a film adaption, along with Tom Tykwer, director of the upcoming The International. Frankly, I'm torn about this idea. The story takes place over centuries, has six main characters, and requires absolutely impeccable production. Its an incredibly cinematic book and yet while reading it, thinking about the challengers of adapting it is overwhelming. Its a kind of thing that must be in the right hands but quite frankly, I think this could work. The Wachowski have had some slip-ups, but lets not forget the original Matrix and the far underrated sequels. Quite simply its my favorite book and as nervous as the possibility of a botched adaption makes me, I'm also excited to see it play out in what could be an amazing movie.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/01/...wski-brothers/
09:49 PM on 01/30/09 
User Info.
stayillogical
She's a marshmallow
Providence, RI
Female - 25 Years Old
I will read this eventually, promise. Sounds great. So you love it more than AHWOSG?
09:51 PM on 01/30/09 
User Info.
Ailite
one bright dusk
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
I will read this eventually, promise. Sounds great. So you love it more than AHWOSG?
Seriously, probably one of the hardest choices I would ever have to make. Its dead even. And I'd lose my shit if a AHWOSG movie was made.
09:37 AM on 01/31/09 
User Info.
Ailite
one bright dusk
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
Now, if they only adapted one one of the six stories into a film....fuck that.
09:47 AM on 01/31/09 
User Info.
Kid B
Registered Member
St Louis
Male - 20 Years Old
_jonas keeps recommending this to me but I am in the middle of like 5 books right now so it may be a while before I read it.
09:59 AM on 01/31/09 
User Info.
doyouhas?
We're On Our Way Home.
Athens, GA
Male - 26 Years Old
such a great book. a movie sound a little sketchy but hopefully it will turn out ok. im in the middle of black swan green by the same author right now. its quite fantastic as well, so far.
11:50 PM on 10/09/10 
User Info.
Colorblind!
lord top button
London, ON
Male - 22 Years Old
Just read Ghostwritten, absolutely loved it, and now I'm just starting this. Finding the writing in the Sailor's story really difficult, hope it gets more accessible as the book goes on.
12:41 AM on 10/10/10 
User Info.
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
Arizona
Male - 27 Years Old
Sounds like an interesting read, once my course reading slows down, I might give this a try.

Not really a fan of the Wachowskis, though, on the movie front.
09:49 AM on 10/10/10 
User Info.
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
Pittsburgh
Male - 24 Years Old
I always mix this up with The Cloud Atlas by Lian Callanan, which is an awesome book.
10:13 AM on 10/10/10 
User Info.
lindZ629
Hold my hand just one more time
LI
Female - 27 Years Old
It's been on my need to read list for awhile.
10:16 AM on 10/10/10 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
The book was pretty good but I really can't imagine a movie being any good.
10:19 AM on 10/10/10 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Just read Ghostwritten, absolutely loved it, and now I'm just starting this. Finding the writing in the Sailor's story really difficult, hope it gets more accessible as the book goes on.

The writing in the sailor's story was one of my favorite things about the book, haha. It gets a lot more accessible though, don't worry.
11:47 AM on 10/10/10 
User Info.
Ailite
one bright dusk
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
it picks up after his first part, don't worry. His story ends up being amazing. The first 30 pages were kind of hard to get through.
11:52 AM on 10/10/10 
User Info.
Colorblind!
lord top button
London, ON
Male - 22 Years Old
it picks up after his first part, don't worry. His story ends up being amazing. The first 30 pages were kind of hard to get through.

Awesome, I have no doubt it's going to be good. I reread what I read last night and I think I was just tired because it's making more sense although still difficult. Could be just because I'm stupid.
01:47 PM on 10/10/10 
User Info.
Ailite
one bright dusk
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
Awesome, I have no doubt it's going to be good. I reread what I read last night and I think I was just tired because it's making more sense although still difficult. Could be just because I'm stupid.
I'm planning a re-reaed very shortly. I love every story; at first I didn't really care for Adam Ewing and Somni-451, but literally everyone has something beautiful in them.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos