AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
You In Series - Outside We Are Fine Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 82%

You In Series - Outside We Are Fine

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (05/30/06)
You In Series - Outside We Are fine
Release Date: May 30, 2006
Record Label: Equal Vision Records

It is always interesting to me to see how a label stacks up its roster. There are some, like the Militia Group, that reach for a diverse, almost schizophrenic lineup that each bring something wholly different if not conflicting, to the table. There are few labels, though, where the bands tend to be united under a common sound, vibe, or overall mantra. Just as this was true for Drive-Thru in the days of (pop-punk) yore, the same can be said for Equal Vision's current squad of rockers that find themselves linked under the label's greater banner of "dark" rock. This brand is most definitely cast upon You In Series, whose debut, Outside We Are Fine is a collection of ten flowing, shadowy cuts that serves as an adept addition to the label and the rock scene in general.

As a band, You In Series is not going to single-handedly set off any revolutions of sound or ideology. The band is, quite simply, a straight-up rock band, both in their musicianship and storied lyrical stylings, an item that can be in with a Thrice-ish guitar wail, and introduces Kyle Lobeck's strong vocal command noted from the album's commencement. The opening track, "The Watcher," swirls and swoops, as he switches between a Kensrue-style strain and a fragile sweetness reminiscent of Portugal The Man's John Gourley, playing directly off his bandmates, leading them but not overshadowing them. The track stands as an extremely adept opener, and as one of the album's more engaging tracks, offers the listener the necessary intrigue to go on and check out the album's other standout cuts. After a few less descript tunes, the band hits stride once more with the brilliant "Lose Faith in the Truth" which finds Lobeck testing his range and harmonizing seamlessly with Logan Lanning all in concert with a pair of ominously twinkling guitar lines that dance in and out of each other's embrace. Similar praise can be showered upon "When and Where a Real World Occurs," which weaves a tapestry out of a siren-like wailing six-string backdrop underscoring another mighty vocal exhibition from Lobeck and Lanning. The rest of the album floats pretty well below the high water mark of these three top tracks, but remains easy enough to listen to.

As it stands, if you have heard any of the songs they have posted online, I find that You In Series sound almost like a screamo band without the screaming, with Lobeck's silky vocals tending to dance over patiently restrained guitar lines. The listener is essentially left waiting for a furious breakdown to crash and surge or a searing vocal that never ends up coming. To add to this, Brian McTernan wraps the whole package up in accordance with the blueprint he used on Circa Survive's Juturna, giving the record a strangely similar sound to the aforementioned work. The overall sound thus makes for a clean, polished presentation, but therein lies the problem that ensnares You In Series. The subsequent impression is that the band is a little too safe and pedestrian for its own good on occasions, leaving the listener frustrated that the band fails to consistently realize the brilliance they are so obviously capable of. I almost feel that I need to go see the guys play live to get a splash of the energy that is so carefully curtailed on this record. In the end, Outside We Are Fine ends up being an infallibly persuasive exercise in assertion of potential, but in the end, comes across being a little too one-dimensional to realize everything that I feel You In Series is truly capable of. That said, I really dig the band's sound and look forward to great things from them in the future.

Recommended if you like:Thin Dark Line, Circa Survive, Facing New York, Thrice, Portugal the Man

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38.
09:18 AM on 05/30/06
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
i listened to this cd yesterday, and i really liked it. i think im gonna go pick it up today.
09:32 AM on 05/30/06
Take Heart
Nobody fucks with Jesus.
User Info.
Good review, I enjoyed what I heard on purevolume, may go pick this up now. I really like how you score your reviews, i'm sick of every "positive" review being over 90% here, over 90% should be reviewed for epic cd's, not just tossed out left and right
09:32 AM on 05/30/06
UndertheTELE
Just spoken of.
User Info.
Good review, i think i'm gonna check this cd out. I like the "recommended if you like" section you have there.
09:39 AM on 05/30/06
Chris Immunity
Immunity Clothing
User Info.
i really enjoy this cd, it should definatly be picked up today, i think the stand out track on the cd for me would have to be "Get Comfortable Not Knowing"

thanks for the review
09:42 AM on 05/30/06
sinbad
Forum Whore
User Info.
liked the review. the cd is pretty solid. reminded me of facing new york.
09:48 AM on 05/30/06
CorporateFish
Viva la Weez
User Info.
I might pick this up, I like what I've heard.
09:51 AM on 05/30/06
so typical
User Info.
i really enjoy this album.
09:54 AM on 05/30/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Thanks for the feedback guys...I enjoy hearing what you like and don't like. I think it is helpful to have a "Recommended if you like" section, as it is the best way to see that maybe if you don't like my reviews, you might still want to check out the band/album.
09:56 AM on 05/30/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by christophermoun
i really enjoy this cd, it should definatly be picked up today, i think the stand out track on the cd for me would have to be "Get Comfortable Not Knowing"

thanks for the review
Yeah, I do dig that song too...guess I forgot to note it in the review...my bad.
10:07 AM on 05/30/06
meeotch
...all we fight for
User Info.
i like what ive heard on purevolume and what not

ill be seeing them on the circa survive tour so ill have to check the album out

very helpful review
10:12 AM on 05/30/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Steve Henderson
Thanks for the feedback guys...I enjoy hearing what you like and don't like. I think it is helpful to have a "Recommended if you like" section, as it is the best way to see that maybe if you don't like my reviews, you might still want to check out the band/album.

Well thank you for posting a new review for all of us to read.

I haven't heard of this band until you reviewed them.
11:13 AM on 05/30/06
John-Michael
User Info.
The RIYL like is a nice touch. Who ever told you those are good in reviews sure is a smart and handsome guy. ;)
11:21 AM on 05/30/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by John-Michael
The RIYL like is a nice touch. Who ever told you those are good in reviews sure is a smart and handsome guy. ;)
M@n, I was d0ing dem bak in da daYz of uBM, s0n.
11:24 AM on 05/30/06
verybarrywhyte
Hi. I'm Shawn Whyte.
User Info.
I really love this CD. And I don't believe they don't go into screaming or harsher vocals. The normal singing sounds passionate and emotional on its own. But maybe that's just my opinion.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS