AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Head Automatica - Popaganda Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 5.5
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.79
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7.25
Creativity 6.92
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.58
Average: 72%
Inside AP.net

Head Automatica - Popaganda

Reviewed by: Gabe Gross (06/06/06)
Head Automatica – Popaganda
Release Date: June 6, 2006
Record Label: Warner Brothers

Summer 2004 brought a big surprise from Glassjaw's Daryl Palumbo when he sprung an energetic electrodance project with Head Automatica and their freshman release Decadence, where it thrived off winding vocals and viral electricities that both intrigued and infected listeners. Two years later, Daryl and Co.--Jarvis Morgan Holden (bass), Larry Gorman (drums/vocals), Craig Bonich (guitars) and Jessie Neson (organ, piano, and keys)--have retaliated with Popaganda, an aptly-named follow-up that exudes sugary guitars, rolling and swinging vocals and jittery percussions.

Pleasantly beginning the album is "Graduation Day," an appropriate first single. The keys on the chorus portray the celebratory song and immediately make listeners aware that this is not the same Head Automatica of '04. The chord progression and choice of instruments avoid serious song structure and instead take a lighthearted and comical swerve to end certains tracks ("Laughing at You" and "God"). Also, Daryl continues his snotty, snobby, pretentious, obnoxious voice in and out, up and down, through and through the safe drumwork ("Oxy Contin" and "Scandalous").

What I appreciate most from this album is that Head Automatica show that they are comfortable in switching genres. Evenso, if pop music can be a safe bet at times, the album doesn't grow old through multiple spins. For old fans, approach cautiously to see what the band have grown into. And while this project hasn't decided on a specific sound, you ought to respect the staying power of a sophomore release that strays from what others thought was an established sound.

Though the album isn't separated purposefully by a certain song to split the album in halves, this reviewer tends to find more creativity on the keys and also in tempo changes of the latter tracked songs. "Shot In the Back (the Platypus)" and "Million Dollar Decision," I would argue contribute to the inspiration of the second part which respectively keeps on track with memorable lyrics. The final three songs, are a capstone to this record. Because of their inaccessible licks (reminding me of The Faint), I would guess most listeners would pass through them. Although for me, "Egyptian Musk" and "K Horse" are my two favorite songs on Popaganda. They are the alley cat and stray dog; drums are brought forward, guitars get tweaked out solos and the vocals progress with vindication.

Without the assistance of Dan the Automator producing Popaganda, Head's precision of sound doesn't settle well as a complete record. Where Decadence had a bottle-rocket pop to each song Popaganda explore a mishmash in production which allows for instruments to blend in and, especially guitars lose their punctuation. Most songs salvation in Daryl's vocals which shows weakness in how reliant a Head Automatica song is for Daryl to step it up. While Popaganda isn't the answer to any pop equation, this album is a hallmark for the summer and a must-have for 2006.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 75.
02:29 AM on 06/06/06
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
i couldn't stand the album
02:31 AM on 06/06/06
TheHeretic
User Info.
i like the album. it's decent
02:46 AM on 06/06/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I loved it. It's one of my favorites of the year, but definitely far from one of the best.
03:06 AM on 06/06/06
CLARIFY THIS
--
User Info.
I love the vocals on this record
03:09 AM on 06/06/06
FailedByDesign
Bigmouth strikes again...
User Info.
Originally Posted by CLARIFY THIS
I love the vocals on this record

I second that notion.
03:11 AM on 06/06/06
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
Not their best stuff onPopaganda.
03:24 AM on 06/06/06
painisaillusion
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
First cd was 1000x times better.
03:37 AM on 06/06/06
Sanchez
umm
User Info.
Originally Posted by painisaillusion
First cd was 1000x times better.

I second that notion.
03:47 AM on 06/06/06
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
Fuck Head Automatica.

I want new Glassjaw.
03:59 AM on 06/06/06
trustmeimokay
Hi
User Info.
I'm finally gonna sit down and give this album a solid listen through.
04:00 AM on 06/06/06
gonfreaks
User Info.
First CD was better, but I enjoyed both of the songs you mentioned as your favorites ("K Horse" and "Egyptian Musk").
04:44 AM on 06/06/06
naphtha74
Loves Healthy Testicles
User Info.
curious and cannibal girl are amazing tracks
05:04 AM on 06/06/06
piaffeprncess98
check out www.avoidthescene.com
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I personally love this.
05:14 AM on 06/06/06