Password

Album Review

New Mexican Disaster Squad - Don't Believe Album Cover

New Mexican Disaster Squad - Don't Believe

Reviewed by
New Mexican Disaster SquadDon’t Believe
Release Date: May 9, 2006
Label: Jade Tree

Nothing irritates me more these days than the bastardization of hardcore. The genre has seemingly sucked in the metal/noise/grind sub-cores much like its skinnier, better looking cousin “indie rock” did with emo and punk a couple years back. What is deemed “hardcore” in today’s scene is anything but what the 80s DC scene was churning at out its peak.

New Mexican Disaster Squad is a throwback to that DC era sound. They’re snotty, brash, and play their instruments at full speed on Don’t Believe. Showing true hardcore spirit, most tracks never eclipse the two minute mark before fading out (they actually fade). In spite of all this, NMDS have managed to maintain a melody and rhythm to their work. Making Don’t Believe accessible to more than just your friend with the X tattoo on his ankle. Don’t mistake melody for weakness, as the band knows their roots and sticks closely enough to them.

The strength of bands from that DC era was in their lyrics. Good hardcore always comes with a message or two about anti-authority and vocalist Sam Johnson and crew know how to deliver. Oft political, Johnson angrily spits about everything from military recruiting practices on “The Killing Machine” to mass media hypocrisy on “Cast No Shadows”.

It’s not metal. It’s not grind. It’s not emocore. It’s hardcore. Ironic how something so heavily influenced by music made 20 years ago can sound so fresh.

Ian MacKaye could kick my ass: “Bullshit Detector”, “The Killing Machine”

Dischord is my favorite chord: Black Cross, Kid Dynamite, Hit the Switch
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
09:40 AM on 07/02/06
domesticyeti
Captain Democracy
User Info.
great review. i really hate what "hardcore" is considered now.
10:44 AM on 07/02/06
FrankMareno
Photographer
User Info.
Ya im going to listen to this album right now i have there other 2 albums and there really good.
04:39 PM on 07/02/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
It seemed like you liked this album, but you gave it a poor review.
05:05 PM on 07/02/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Originally Posted by GoWaitInTheCar

The score may make it seem lower than what it really is. It got graded down on vocals because any true hardcore band isn't going to have a Cristian Guerrero or whoever as a frontman. The voice is what it is. I think the most important scores you'll find in that review are the "Replayability" and "Staying Power". 75% is a good score in my book. I grade balls-to-the-wall.
05:14 PM on 07/02/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Russ Hockenbury
The score may make it seem lower than what it really is. It got graded down on vocals because any true hardcore band isn't going to have a Cristian Guerrero or whoever as a frontman. The voice is what it is. I think the most important scores you'll find in that review are the "Replayability" and "Staying Power". 75% is a good score in my book. I grade balls-to-the-wall.

I also go balls to the wall when I review. I review two cds per week and post them in my journal and call them "Band Battles." Check'em out. I've written them since January and tonight for the first time since then, I'll have someone else do a battle, he's new, his name is Adam.

Stick around AP, you seem like a cool as hell guy. How did you get hired? Where did Jason find you?
05:19 PM on 07/02/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
I also go balls to the wall when I review. I review two cds per week and post them in my journal and call them "Band Battles." Check'em out. I've written them since January and tonight for the first time since then, I'll have someone else do a battle, he's new, his name is Adam.

Stick around AP, you seem like a cool as hell guy. How did you get hired? Where did Jason find you?

Awesome, I'll check them out. I'm assuming you're talking about your Ap.net journal. I was Editor at www.upbeetmusic.com for 4 years. For more info check the following thread:

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=149561
05:23 PM on 07/02/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Wow, you've got quite a background, what made you come to AP?

I was reading the thread and it seems like you have tons to add to this site.
05:35 PM on 07/02/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Wow, you've got quite a background, what made you come to AP?

I was reading the thread and it seems like you have tons to add to this site.

I wanted to expose more people to the music I love. This is certainly the venue. I still work for Upbeetmusic as well. Rob and I kind of built that site together. In the beginning, we were getting 30 hits a day. Now, it's a couple thousand. Which is pretty good in webzine world. Sites like ap.net and punknews.org are exceptional.

Yea, I'm looking forward to working here.
05:39 PM on 07/02/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Russ Hockenbury
I wanted to expose more people to the music I love. This is certainly the venue. I still work for Upbeetmusic as well. Rob and I kind of built that site together. In the beginning, we were getting 30 hits a day. Now, it's a couple thousand. Which is pretty good in webzine world. Sites like ap.net and punknews.org are exceptional.

Yea, I'm looking forward to working here.

I've read a lot of cd reviews at upbeetmusic and since I'm not a member over there I never realize of the site you did.

That's cool you are looking forward to working here, that's another thing I like to see, PASSION.

Welcome.
08:36 PM on 07/02/06
concernedparent
I'm very concerned.
User Info.
75 isn't a bad score at all...
08:10 AM on 07/03/06
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
i think no matter what genre title you put above the music its still better than what has been commign out in the past decade for strong passionate music. i hate NYC hardcore and 80's hardcore im glad it was there in time to build off of but alot of it sounded the same and alot of "hardcore" bands sound the same today too but what i like is theres so much orginality is some of these bands that hold the "hardcore" torch today. i think all the stupid sub-categorys of hardcore make hardcore more accessible to what everyone wants and thats what music is kinda about, meetign eveyones needs and wants. you can spot a fake band from a mile away, playing a certain style of music for the wrong reasons but theres that handful of bands otu there playing it for all the right. and thats the hardcore music still worht listening to. not the shitty band that plays breakdown every three seconds. its the converge and the dillingers that are still killing everythign and everyon that checks them out.
10:44 AM on 07/03/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Originally Posted by manican sex
i think no matter what genre title you put above the music its still better than what has been commign out in the past decade for strong passionate music. i hate NYC hardcore and 80's hardcore im glad it was there in time to build off of but alot of it sounded the same and alot of "hardcore" bands sound the same today too but what i like is theres so much orginality is some of these bands that hold the "hardcore" torch today. i think all the stupid sub-categorys of hardcore make hardcore more accessible to what everyone wants and thats what music is kinda about, meetign eveyones needs and wants. you can spot a fake band from a mile away, playing a certain style of music for the wrong reasons but theres that handful of bands otu there playing it for all the right. and thats the hardcore music still worht listening to. not the shitty band that plays breakdown every three seconds. its the converge and the dillingers that are still killing everythign and everyon that checks them out.

:amen:

Very well said, dude.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests