Password

Album Review

The Wonder Years/All Or Nothing - Distances Album Cover

The Wonder Years/All Or Nothing - Distances

Reviewed by
The Wonder Years/All Or Nothing - Distances
Record Label: No Sleep Records
Release Date: March 10, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Admittedly, Distances is a cool concept. Take two bands, one from the states and one from the U.K, who play similar versions of pop-punkcore and see if they can create a decent record. With split records it usually boils down to one band outshining another, but due to extremely comparable sounds, Distances is more collaboration than split. For most of us Americans, The Wonder Years are well-known for their less than serious takes on everyday life. All Or Nothing, however, are just starting to blossom over here, so to be featured on a record like this should do wonders for their international fan club.

Whereas bands like Four Year Strong or A Day To Remember make their living off crushing breakdowns, both these bands stick much closer to the pop-punk of years past. In fact, TWY’s “An Elegy for Baby Blue” is more like plain ol’ punk in its verses and plain’ ol pop in its chorus (with their signature synthesizer, of course). So you’ll get your faster than fast rockers and catchy choruses without the weight of a super-serious breakdown. All Or Nothing’s “I’m Not Being Rude, But I Could Have Had Your Job” is an excellent introduction to the band. Crunching riffs intermingle with surprisingly technical drumming, but Tom Chong’s high-pitched voice is the true turn-on. He sounds like a scrawny dude pushed to his limits (or, if you like, the singer of Race The Sun). Each of the split’s five songs comes at us with force and fun, a riotous combination to be sure.

As All Or Nothing have 3 of the 5 tracks, think of this as their billboard on I-44. The Wonder Years are merely their “celebrity” endorsers. But on the strength of songs like “This Is Very Impossible” - which is sadly only available digitally - All Or Nothing won’t need much help for long. Their reluctance to go double bass-crazy is respectable, while a high-flying guitar solo takes the song from punk-and-done to repeat-button-rocker. (Am I losing my wit? Help?)

I admit my initial interest in Distances was due to Soupy and the Boys™; now I have a new band to fawn over. (Urges to seek out AON's 2006 release Dead Money are normal and encouraged.) There’s no clear winner on Distances, which in this case is a magnificent feat. From minutes 1 to 14 we get unified, clever pop-punk (especially TWY’s “Don’t Open The Fridge!”) that respects its elders before expecting anything back. Both bands have hit their stride, and both will only get bigger.

Recommended If You Like: The Starting Line, Race The Sun, Hell's Kitchen, New Found Glory, Nanny 911

Put these words on my skinwww.myspace.com/thewonderyearspa

I fade inwww.myspace.com/allornothing

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
04:22 PM on 02/24/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Great review Blake!
05:49 PM on 02/24/09
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
Great review, great bands! I can't wait for my copy to come in the mail!
06:06 PM on 02/24/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Can't wait to hear this.
08:18 PM on 02/24/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Very well written
10:49 PM on 02/24/09
SureAsRain
The Motel Life / Michael
User Info.
good review Blake
i've been really into The Wonder years lately
i'm really excited about this release!
11:29 PM on 02/24/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i should note:

There are 5 tracks on the digital version, whereas there are only 4 on the vinyl. But I was given the digital and I figure many more people will download this through itunes.
12:09 AM on 02/25/09
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Looking forward to listening to my 7". Good review, Blake.
08:52 AM on 02/25/09
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
Love both of these bands. Can't wait to pick this up.
09:11 AM on 02/25/09
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
Great review. I'll definitely check it out.
09:54 AM on 02/25/09
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
well written review. I dono if this is something I'll get into but I'll check it out
10:17 AM on 02/25/09
DanPiazza
Tourist With a Typewriter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love the wonder years. i need this.
10:21 AM on 02/25/09
Soupy
User Info.
The pre-order for this record is almost sold out. I think there are something like 10 individual records left and 10 packages. If you don't live close enough to either band to get one of the 60 copies we'll each have, I would pre-order because, unless you find it in Hot Topic, once it's gone... it's gone. No repress. 1000 copies. That's it forever.
10:52 AM on 02/25/09
Kyle Garchar
You can quake at the thought of it
User Info.
I'm debating ordering this again...one for my personal collection and one to horde for a year or two then sell for profit
10:56 AM on 02/25/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Great review. I love TWY and can't wait to check this out.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos