AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Vena Amori - The Seduction of An American... Album Cover

Vena Amori - The Seduction of An American...

Reviewed by
Vena AmoriThe Seduction of An American Housewife
Release Date: May 2, 2006
Label: The Death Scene

I once read about a metal band that boasted a pit bull as their lead vocalist. An actual pit bull. Novelty or whatever, one of the humans in the band justified the choice by saying that metal/hardcore vocalists had been trying to mimic the sound of animals for years. This was just a natural progression. He’s got a point. Hardcore bands have been barking since the days of Fugazi and bullfroggery isn’t just confined to death metal anymore. Having made inroads into more popular hard labels these days.

Staying in the animal kingdom, is the latest release from The Death Scene’s Vena Amori. Give them credit, vocalist Justin Osbourn didn’t come with the same old croak. Instead, opting for the high-pitched squeal of a pig to be his calling card. A pig that somehow found its way into the helium storage facility across the street and is now choking on the mylar balloons that lay next to the empty tanks. Pigs will eat anything.

The Seduction of An American Housewife continues the “true” (I can find nothing to support this account anywhere on the Net) story of Richard Allen Dalton and the sadistic 1968 murders of his family and adulterous friend. In terms of fashion, concept albums are music’s version of the white belt. Vena Amori plow through the somewhat interesting story over horrorcore riffs, pounding drums, and dark melodies proficiently enough. Somehow they manage to fit in a Shellac cover along the way. Points for that, if nothing else.

In the end, Osbourn’s vox either make or break this record for the listener. Fans of the more accomplished squealers in From Autumn to Ashes or Atreyu might actually go for Osbourn’s exercise in vocal torture. Punknews even credited it as the band’s only saving grace on their 2005 EP, not surprisingly titled Richard Allen Dalton. Obsess much? Personally, Dalton ends up dying in a sanitarium at the conclusion of Seduction and I can only hope porkchops were his last meal.

Let the bodies hit the floor: “How Can Things Possibly Get Any Worse”, “Marylin Merlot”

The sound of animals dying: Atreyu, Darkest Hour, Vulger Pigeons
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
03:23 PM on 07/26/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
this might be my favorite AP review of yours so far.
03:37 PM on 07/26/06
alreadyheardit
highly refined pirate
User Info.
the punctuation in this review should be more carefully reviewed.
03:40 PM on 07/26/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, I "got" this review, not too many obscure references, and the bulk of it was on topic with the music of the CD. Superb review! :gay:
04:09 PM on 07/26/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
I have absolutely no idea what a band sounds like after reading your reviews, Russ, but damn it all if I don't love every minute.
04:43 PM on 07/26/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
I have absolutely no idea what a band sounds like after reading your reviews, Russ, but damn it all if I don't love every minute.
hahaha I agree, I laughed at this so much.
05:07 PM on 07/26/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Ive heard of this band, and I agree completely. The gore just doesnt do it for me. A horrorcore riff about life, love and peace, now thats refreshing...
05:09 PM on 07/26/06
matt_rawlings
User Info.
I have never even heard of this band, and now I have no want to hear them at all. Fucking amazing review though
06:09 PM on 07/26/06
TheBaroness
User Info.
This is a fun, catchy album, but I still agree with everything you said.
06:47 PM on 07/26/06
A picasso blue
RAPID FIRE TOLLBOOTH
User Info.
fun and catchy?

maybe if you enjoy killing small mammals
07:34 PM on 07/26/06
Name_Taken
Registered Abuser
User Info.
finally Vena Amori are getting recognized like they deserve!!! this album is amazing. tell your friends!! :)
07:40 PM on 07/26/06
ForeverInADay
User Info.
I didn't like this album.

The vocalist is fucking awful. Great story line, however.
07:41 PM on 07/26/06
ForeverInADay
User Info.
Originally Posted by Name_Taken
finally Vena Amori are getting recognized like they deserve!!! this album is amazing. tell your friends!! :)
...to purchase a gun so they can soon after shoot themselves in the face.
07:49 PM on 07/26/06
Name_Taken
Registered Abuser
User Info.
get a life :)

everybody give them a listen even if you're scared by the review. http://www.myspace.com/venaamori
http://www.purevolume.com/venaamori
07:50 PM on 07/26/06
catchmealone
Polka King of AP.net
User Info.
How come crap like this gets reviewed, yet there is STILL no review of Ignite's "Our Darkest Days"? Is this album simply overlooked, or does anyone not care?

Oh, fantastic review though, I loved it

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version