Album Review

Roses Are Red - What Became Of Me Album Cover

Roses Are Red - What Became Of Me

Reviewed by
Roses Are RedWhat Became of Me
Release Date: June 13, 2006
Record Label: Trustkill Records

Overall Score: 6.4

The progressiveness of a band often determines the element that makes or breaks their careers. Have they learned to fix the mistakes from the last record? Is there a sense of depth that was woven into the chord progression and lyrics? What are the areas that the band has changed and is it for the better? What consequences and circumstances have they gone through musically since their prior release? Do they even produce tolerable music? Certain questions should be taken into consideration concerning the growth of any artist and with Roses Are Red, there is no exception. With their last release, Conversations, an immature yet well-received debut, the Rochester, NY band have regrouped and reemerged with a collection of songs that put their freshman release to shame. Vincent Minervino (vocals), Tom Zenns (guitar), Shaun Murphy (guitar), Kevin Mahoney (bass) and Michael Lasaponara (drums) have come together in an effort worthy to show they can build momentum and showcase variety in the musicianship.

While Roses Are Red prove they are a hard working band in their touring, the album doesn’t shine as bright as it could. Despite no overpowering mistakes or dreadful tracks, What Becomes Of Me reaches through the band’s ability to create 11 songs that sound nothing alike. Both heavy and light ballads (“The Last Time (Come With Me Tonight)" and “Just Say The Words”) mixed with strong rock anthems (“These Days”) and swinging, memorable choruses, the album still lacks a sense of cohesiveness. Now I’m not necessarily suggesting a theme or concept album but strictly speaking musically, tracks do not bleed into one another effectively. In the same way, the tracks often reach without a point of climax. The title track is a crashing rock ballad that streams in and throughout touchy instrumentals from the guitars and percussions, which is perhaps the most noticeable difference between this album and their prior work. One of my favorite songs on the whole album is the prolonged ballad “Just Say The Words.” This tracks literally swept me off my feet. But as you all know, I’m a sucker for ballads.

Vince’s voice is desirable but shows little effort in stretching for a larger range. Where choruses and bridges could be elongated on final syllables, they end with punctuation. Even then, the vocals aren’t means for distraction. If anything renders distraction it is the step up in guitar work. Zenns, Murphy and Mahoney all show an ability to play. Lyrically, the songs don’t show a large amount of thought-provoking narrative or advice, more so we see a theme of not giving up hope, pushing forward and holding onto memories.

Producer Brian McTernan (Circa Survive, Thrice) leads Roses Are Red down the right path, accentuating their maturity and growth as a refreshed arrangement, showing that not only can they make strides in becoming better but feel comfortable in the risks of bringing in new members. By and large, Roses Are Red do not flail through a record in hopes of hitting the right chord but rather illuminate their depth and variety.
This review is a user submitted review from Gabe Gross. You can see all of Gabe Gross's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
09:37 AM on 07/27/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Perfect Review: They scored what they deserved and you highlighed how they need to improve.
09:49 AM on 07/27/06
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
i dont like this band. thanks for reviewing this though gabe.
09:55 AM on 07/27/06
ishotthepilot
black&blue or gold?
User Info.
i feel weird about this band. they are just not good recorded.
10:36 AM on 07/27/06
Adeniz19
whikawhikawhaaat
User Info.
i loved their first record when it came it. it was really catchy "screamo" but i don't know if i would like the new one.... i kind of grew out of their music.
10:59 AM on 07/27/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
This album is soooo good for what it is.

And now we have three reviews here for this single release.
01:21 PM on 07/27/06
leftstranded
myspace.com/leftstranded
User Info.
the album itself isn't tha tbad. i just think i've grown out of it. good review though
06:23 PM on 07/27/06
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
eh..not a fan.
05:07 AM on 07/28/06
perrone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
SWEET i'm not banned anymore
07:35 AM on 07/28/06
plain white t's
Skate Punk
User Info.
Originally Posted by perrone
SWEET i'm not banned anymore

lol what did you get banned for, As much as I tried to get into this band i just couldnt, ill go and listen to them now
02:57 PM on 07/28/06
perrone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i don't know, that one girl doesn't like my attitude or something

yeah i know right, what's up with that
03:23 AM on 07/29/06
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
i fucking love this record... all you have to do is let it grow on you and it won`t let you go... bad review
12:49 PM on 07/29/06
I was Brad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i enjoyed this cd i would have given it a better score.... nice review
09:52 PM on 08/14/06
Daniel Schultz
the guilded cunt.
User Info.
The sound I heard on this album was a major disappointment to me after their fun and "glam" debut.
Their new sound just seems old and uninspired.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos