AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dead Sea Choir - Thin One the Red One Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Dead Sea Choir - Thin One the Red One

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (03/17/09)
Dead Sea Choir - The Thin One The Red One
Record Label: Brass Ltd.
Release Date: Jan. 13, 2009

The most startling aspect of Dead Sea Choir's grandiose, arena-art rock debut The Thin One The Red One is that it was constructed inside a bedroom in Tulsa, OK and not in a Manchester studio. This is no slight against Tulsa, but one wouldn't expect a place as humdrum and unassuming as Tulsa to be the hometown of such an ambitious Brit-inspired musical project. That is the case though on this 10-song stunner, self-produced, mixed and engineered by 24-year-old lead singer Costa Stasinopoulous.

A self-admitted fan of Radiohead and Coldplay, Stasinopoulous and guitarist Daniel Gimlin formed the group after a few years fronting a local act known as Straight Lines. The band had limited success in Oklahoma and after they were informed that a 1970s band had used the same moniker, they went about starting anew. The duo rotated band members for roughly a year before settling on a final lineup.

The Thin One the Red One took more than three years to make and it's this simple fact that might account for its lofty ambitions and startling power. Though long-winded in numerous places, the disc is so forward-thinking and artful, an immediate comparison might be Of Montreal. No, not musically or sonically, but rather in the same abstract sense. That is to say, the psyche of Kevin Barnes is probably one of a select few that can honestly understand exactly what's going on in these 10 songs.

While it may be hard to follow, this epic album has a veneer of seasoning and audacity that one would expect from a band many albums into their career, not one just starting out, especially from someone as young as 24. That such is true makes The Thin One The Red One a truly stunning achievement. What's more impressive is there is nary a hook, chorus or anything even potentially radio worthy offered here. And yet, the songs are so contemporary and so commercially viable, it's silly to think this album won't make a splash, if it gets into the right hands.

For starters, vocalist Stasinopoulous has a big earthy, emotive croon that immediately calls to mind folks like Guy Garvey, Jeff Buckley and Thom Yorke. The album's only letdown is that it never allows Stasinopoulous the full room to roam here. Often times, he seems to yield his vocal limits to a wash of guitars and sonic fuzz. And oh yes, there's plenty of sonic fuzz. There's also a dash of piano arpeggios, sweeping strokes of reverb, a host of dissonant guitar work, sporadic strings and a plethora of blips and bleeps. It's this penchant for electronica, fuzzy static and random percussion that allow the Radiohead comparisons to last far beyond the vocals.

On the full bloom of "Image D93" and the undeniably precise "On the Up and Up," the band wields their talent and fine-tuned precision to a T. The twinkling piano on "Move it Child," sounds more like a Viva la Vida B-side than that of something concocted in the Sooner State, while the heavy use of electronics on "Oriental Drippo," sounds more like Hail to the Thief than that of America's heartland.. None of this is a bad thing, however. Heck, there should be more songs as gripping, operatic and elegaic as "The Ceiling."

In truth this album might be too ambitious for its own good. Songs change tempos so quickly and dramatically, almost meandering at their own volition, without any regard for pace, chorus or conclusion. It's all a bit head-scratching and awe-inspiring at the same time. One thing is certain though: A new barometer has been set for the Oklahoma music scene and it's easy to think it's a barometer that won't get passed for quite a long time. As an added bonus, the album's liner notes and CD art are more than worth purchasing. Skipping out and buying a digital version would not do this band the proper artistic justice.

Recommended If You LikeSigur Ros, Radiohead, My Morning Jacket, Mogwai, Phillip Glass, Kevin Barnes' psyche

Official Website Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
02:31 PM on 03/17/09
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Very, very cool. I don't know how you couldn't compare these guys to Radiohead, especially the song 'The Ceiling.' Epic review for an epic album. Thanks for the recommendation.

Can't believe these dudes are from Oklahoma...random.
02:43 PM on 03/17/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Very, very cool. I don't know how you couldn't compare these guys to Radiohead, especially the song 'The Ceiling.' Epic review for an epic album. Thanks for the recommendation.

Can't believe these dudes are from Oklahoma...random.
Totally agree. "The Ceiling" is truly something special. This band is a treasure. So glad someone else is into it. Spread the word!!
02:52 PM on 03/17/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
I'm going to check them out just because they're from Oklahoma hahaha
03:05 PM on 03/17/09
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Totally agree. "The Ceiling" is truly something special. This band is a treasure. So glad someone else is into it. Spread the word!!
I see you also like Son Volt. You have a very keen ear my friend. Have you ever heard of Golden Smog or The Jayhawks...? GO!
03:08 PM on 03/17/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I see you also like Son Volt. You have a very keen ear my friend. Have you ever heard of Golden Smog or The Jayhawks...? GO!
Big fan of both. Golden Smog's album Another Fine Day, which came out two or three years ago, was incredible. As for the Jayhawks, Rainy Day Music floors me every time.
03:15 PM on 03/17/09
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Big fan of both. Golden Smog's album Another Fine Day, which came out two or three years ago, was incredible. As for the Jayhawks, Rainy Day Music floors me every time.
I'm from the Twin Cities so I grew up on The Jayhawks, Son Volt, Soul Asylum, and Smog...I would highly recommend checking out earlier releasing from both. My favorite releases from the 'Hawks and Smog are:

The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass
Golden Smog - Down By the Old Mainstream (this has some of my favorite Jeff Tweedy cuts, too)
04:22 PM on 03/17/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Great review. Sounds like something I might like. The band name is so good.
12:55 AM on 03/22/09
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
the percussion and overall sound of ImageD93 is something to behold.
06:06 PM on 08/18/09
davesalasa
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Why not get a bag of free and real Dead Sea Salts to listen to the Dead Sea Choir with. I know a place that is giving away a free bag with any order you make! I came across it looking for freebies. This album sounds cool too, maybe I will hear them on the radio or something. Would be cool to hear them if I ever come across them when exercising. Link is in my signature.

Sam
http://www.deadseapremium.com
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News