AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Texas Is the Reason - Do You Know Who You... Album Cover

Texas Is the Reason - Do You Know Who You...

Reviewed by
Texas Is the Reason - Do You Know Who You Are?
Record Label: Revelation Records
Release Date: April 30, 1996
Texas Is the Reason were a short lived emo/post-hardcore band originating from New York City. The quartet released just one full-length album and an EP. Their one and only album Do You Know Who You Are? is, to put it simply, one of the best albums I have ever heard.

Everything about this album is incredible. Vocalist/guitarist Garret Klahn has perfect vocal delivery throughout the entire album, as you can hear the raw emotion in every song. His voice, while nothing special, makes the band unique and keeps the listener enticed. His vocals are flawed, but the fact that they are flawed is what makes them great.

Chris Daly's hard hitting drum work is another highlight of the album; he's always pounding away and adding depth and emotion to each and every song. His drumming is nothing short of great, especially in the opener "Johnny On the Spot." This is an emotional song led by Klahn's somewhat grating vocals and Daly's stellar drum work. The tune starts off with Daly pounding away at the drums and leads into a catchy guitar riff soon after. All of a sudden Klahn exclaims, "You're allowed to stay for a while. / I'm going to need your time to slow down, and waste some time again." The song is a great opener to the album, and it's definitely one of my favorites.

"There's No Way I Can Talk Myself Out Of This One Tonight (The Drinking Song)" is, as you can see, a really long song title. It's also one of the better (and slower) songs on the album. In this song, Klahn's vocals are at their strongest, and it is really a showcase for him.

The title track, "Do You Know Who You Are?," is my favorite song off of the album. It is a beautiful instrumental track that I could listen to on repeat all day long. It is a brooding, mysterious tune that you will simply never want to end. It provides an almost other-worldly effect, and it is the perfect "interlude" for this album. The band put it in the perfect spot, right after the energetic and beautiful "Something to Forget," and right before the hard hitting track that is "Back and to the Left."

The album closer, "A Jack with One Eye," is a calm song, yet very dark. At a little less than halfway through the track, it explodes into a barrage of emotion. It catches the listener off guard, and the surprise makes the song so much better. "A Jack with One Eye" is an amazing closer to the album and another one of my favorites (do you sense a pattern?).

Texas Is the Reason's one and only full-length album, Do You Know Who You Are? is easily one of my favorite albums of all time. The band hit the nail right on the head with this one, and I could listen to it over and over again and never get sick of it. So, basically what I'm saying is, if you've never heard Do You Know Who You Are?, you are certainly missing out.

Recommended If You LikeMineral; Solea; 90's emo music

myspace.com/texasisthereason
This review is a user submitted review from circatbs. You can see all of circatbs's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
01:34 AM on 04/04/09
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
Glad to see a review of this album finally in the database. I still need to listen to it.
02:00 AM on 04/04/09
live.
Feenay! Fee hee hee hee heenay!
User Info.
Great record! Nice review dude.
02:12 AM on 04/04/09
Laburnum
my baby smokes
User Info.
One of my favourite albums, their 7 is rather good also.
04:27 AM on 04/04/09
singthblues
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome band. the kiddies need to appreciate this shit.
04:57 AM on 04/04/09
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
Ballin'
06:08 AM on 04/04/09
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
This is a pretty huge coincidence because I JUST started listening to this album a few days ago. It's so good.
06:12 AM on 04/04/09
con40dmitri
User Info.
very nice. Influential music here!
06:16 AM on 04/04/09
SanePsychotic
Queerkegaard
User Info.
I love this album and have for quite some time. Nice review.
06:32 AM on 04/04/09
246toothpicks
User Info.
Great album! Been a while since I listened to them, better go dig it out today
06:52 AM on 04/04/09
aoftbsten
Go Buffs.
User Info.
"Do You Know Who You Are?" is easily my favorite instrumental track of all time
07:53 AM on 04/04/09
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
I love Sunny Day Real Estate and 90's emo, but for the life of me I cannot get into this album. Tell me I'm not the only one. I realize it's a staple, but I can barely make it through one song.
09:27 AM on 04/04/09
sajamie81
User Info.
Best song on there...."Something to Forget" I love the drumming in it.
09:51 AM on 04/04/09
nicktu12
www.myspace.com/conflictbetween
User Info.
fucking love this album beyond belief
10:03 AM on 04/04/09
relaxrelapse830
Lions make you brave.
User Info.
I love this album. "Do You Know Who You Are" is incredible.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos