AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Whitechapel - This Is Exile Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.75
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6
Production 7.25
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 63%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.69
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.81
Production 7.28
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6.47
Reviewer Tilt 7.16
Average: 68%
Inside AP.net

Whitechapel - This Is Exile

Reviewed by: Handraa (03/27/09)
Whitechapel - This Is Exile
Record Label: Metal Blade Records
Release Date: July 8, 2008

Over the last few months I've heard plenty of hype about Whitechapel on Myspace, forums on various sites, and at shows I have recently attended. After seeing This Is Exile on the list of albums that needed reviewing, I couldn't help myself but request it and see if lived up to my expectations I had about this band.

From start to finish Whitechapel delivers. This Is Exile gets right into it with the track titled "Father Of Lies." Everything you could expect from a death metal band is thrown at you within the first thirty seconds of the track: chugging guitars, amazing drum work, and deep growls. As Whitechapel slaughters on with their death metal mayhem, it is evident they have plenty of talent.

To say the least, Whitechapel's guitarist are amazing. Ben Savage (lead guitar), Zach Householder, and Alex Wade create a three guitar attack with wonderful leads and sound amazing together. This is evident in the song "Possession," because the lead guitarist plays a blood-boiling lead, and the backing guitarist creates a beatdown of a riff. This relentless attack happens more than once, and it often comes out of nowhere. Set breakdowns are becoming a big problem in the metal scene today, but these guitarist have lots of skill and are very creative, so don't expect any structure to their songs at all. If you're a sucker for insane solos, be sure to give This Is Exile a listen. Backing up the crazy riffs and mind blowing leads is Whitechapel's drummer. Each song on this album would not be as good if it weren't for him. With relentless double bass and nice fills, this drummer makes every breakdown that much heavier.

Whitechapel's vocalist Phil Bozeman has a great deep growl, and he can also put some rhythm into his extremely low growl. Sometimes I wonder how someone can growl so low, but he can pull it off. He also can let out some higher pitch growls, and maybe he should incorporate that more in the next album. Sometimes it sounds like the devil is raging inside him (yes that was a reference to Brand New, and irrelevent to this review). His lyrics on This Is Exile are complex and outstanding. They show the struggles of everyday living, and it is obvious he is not too fond of religion. This is evident in the title track, "This world is ours and we won't stand still/ Infinitude sets thy vision toward the deep/ Civilization will fall by the hand of all disease/ Banished of all life and awoken from the grave/ Eternal light will now by washed way/ Desecration proclamation/ How it feels to be demoralized/ The life you live is now rotten and cold/ This is exile."

"Exalt" and "Somatically Incorrect" are the best tracks on the album because they display the band as a whole working together and sounding great. "Death Becomes Him" and "Of Legions" are great instrumental tracks that show how great the guitarists and drummer can work together. There is no way to find the heaviest song on this album because every song on this album is heavy.

Whitechapel will be on tour this summer, so if you are a big metalhead make sure to go out and check them out. Judging by this album, I'm sure they would put on a great show. Frequent (and well placed) breakdowns, and oustanding ammounts of talent make This Is Exile a great addition to the deathcore scene.

Recommended If You LikeBury Your Dead; Whitechapel's The Somatic Defilement; Between the Buried and Me; a heavier Called to Arms; deathcore

myspace.com/whitechapel

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 59
08:16 AM on 04/04/09
jaywarden1
Jay
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They are just shitty deathcore where all the songs sound the same. While I'm not the biggest fan of death metal I will listen to it any day over some generic deathcore.
clearly you aren't a fan of death metal because these guys definitely ARE NOT shitty deathcore

though I'm really not looking to start an outrageous debate about genres, this is death metal in its finest form. The music is extremely heavy and technical and the vox are brutal as fuck. Deathcore, at least from my understanding, uses more generic metalcore type riffs and attempts to become heavier by using mind numbing chug chugging (see bring me the horizon...), whereas here the musicians are actually talented and write extremely technical shit.
08:38 AM on 04/04/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
clearly you aren't a fan of death metal because these guys definitely ARE NOT shitty deathcore

though I'm really not looking to start an outrageous debate about genres, this is death metal in its finest form. The music is extremely heavy and technical and the vox are brutal as fuck. Deathcore, at least from my understanding, uses more generic metalcore type riffs and attempts to become heavier by using mind numbing chug chugging (see bring me the horizon...), whereas here the musicians are actually talented and write extremely technical shit.
Actually no. Deathcore, in technical terms, is a combination of the breakdown-esque nature of hardcore and metalcore fused with the technicality of death metal -- which is exactly what this is; it has both extreme technicality borrowed from death metal and the numerous breakdowns of metalcore and hardcore.
09:18 AM on 04/04/09
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
Saw them two weeks ago, was pretty impressed, but I can only take a few songs or they start to blend together in a death metal auditory stew and my ears start bleeding :)
10:30 AM on 04/04/09
poi
User Info.

Technical? Hahaha.
11:49 AM on 04/04/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
I just see this band among the sea of Br00t4l deathcore bands with illegible band names. Stuff like this goes right over my head.
11:55 AM on 04/04/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
I just see this band among the sea of Br00t4l deathcore bands with illegible band names. Stuff like this goes right over my head.
Yeah, this is the first band of that kind that I've actually paid any attention too.
11:59 AM on 04/04/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Yeah, this is the first band of that kind that I've actually paid any attention too.
The closest I get to this band is bands like ABACABB and Arsonist Get All the Girls
09:29 AM on 04/05/09
jaywarden1
Jay
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Actually no. Deathcore, in technical terms, is a combination of the breakdown-esque nature of hardcore and metalcore fused with the technicality of death metal -- which is exactly what this is; it has both extreme technicality borrowed from death metal and the numerous breakdowns of metalcore and hardcore.

Thanks for explaining it dude. Obviously that idiot has no idea what he is talking about. I don't get why many people confuse deathcore and death metal because they sound pretty different

this is exactly the stupid what genre is what debate i did not want to start, but wow you guys are right, you really got me. " metalcore type riffs and attempts to become heavier by using mind numbing chug chugging" and "combination of the breakdown-esque nature of hardcore and metalcore fused with the technicality of death metal" are just such different definitions like wow I totally am an "idiot". It's heavy, there's lots of breakdowns, and it's technical. is it deathcore? is it death metal? WHO THE FUCK GIVES A FUCK
09:48 AM on 04/05/09
Klatzke
User Info.
this is exactly the stupid what genre is what debate i did not want to start, but wow you guys are right, you really got me. " metalcore type riffs and attempts to become heavier by using mind numbing chug chugging" and "combination of the breakdown-esque nature of hardcore and metalcore fused with the technicality of death metal" are just such different definitions like wow I totally am an "idiot". It's heavy, there's lots of breakdowns, and it's technical. is it deathcore? is it death metal? WHO THE FUCK GIVES A FUCK
You're an idiot. There's a blatant difference between the two.
02:12 PM on 04/05/09
OdeToTheSun
Exit:Denied
User Info.
I'm going to be the only one to say that I actually like this album. Their first one was better IMO, but whatever.
02:27 PM on 04/05/09
jaywarden1
Jay
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You're an idiot. There's a blatant difference between the two.
Ok then shoot over to Whitechapel's myspace and tell they're deathcore instead of death metal I'm sure they'll really give a shit
02:41 PM on 04/05/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Ok then shoot over to Whitechapel's myspace and tell they're deathcore instead of death metal I'm sure they'll really give a shit
No one said they would.
02:49 PM on 04/05/09
Klatzke
User Info.
No one said they would.
02:49 PM on 04/05/09
Klatzke
User Info.
No one said they would.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News