Password

Album Review
Adept - Another Year of Disaster Album Cover

Adept - Another Year of Disaster

Reviewed by
Adept - Another Year of Disaster
Record Label: Panic & Action
Release Date: February 4, 2009
Anyone who tries to keep track of post-hardcore on last.fm has probably seen the flood of links to Adept’s MySpace page courtesy of their enthusiastic fan base. So, is it really worth listening to the album that is being aggressively pushed throughout cyberspace? Straight away, their opening track "The Business of Living" reeked of mediocrity. The riff was good but was nothing new or original, and neither the screamo vocals nor the singing particularly stood out, especially in comparison to other vocalists at the forefront of the scene. You might immediately think that this is another generic album that adds nothing to the scene. You couldn’t be more wrong.

In fact, the opposite is true: if Another Year of Disaster is anything to go by, Adept embodies everything that is hot within the post hardcore scene. Despite a relatively weak opener, Another Year of Disaster has some absolute gems hidden within its rough edges. It has everything that you might want from a post hardcore album: a mix of emotional hard hitting songs, strong anthems and progressive ballads. They manage to retain technicality without alienating casual listeners, which seems to be a strong point of mainland European post-hardcore bands, such as Herbrightskies.

Although there are a few uninspiring songs on the album, I also think that there are some fantastic songs. For example the only criticism I can justifiably level at "The Ballad of Planet Earth" is that it should be six minutes long, rather than just over two. It is a fantastic piano-based song, with awesome lyrics delivered to perfection, and it shows off Adept's strong sung and screamed vocals. The humorously named "At least give me my dreams back, you negligent whore" is another strong song, despite the clichéd topic. It is a fantastic anthem, with a learnable chorus and a good breakdown, a truly fantastic way of introducing Adept into the wider post-hardcore scene.

As much as I think this was a strong album, I think that Adept have a habit of making some songs slightly longer then they should be, whereas "The Ballad of Planet Earth" being only two minutes is a travesty! Also, the songs are slightly generic post-hardcore songs and it can be said that Adept don’t seem to be pushing any boundaries. However despite this, the album does a lot of things well, such as having fantastic melodic breakdowns, outstanding technicality and vocals, and a well structured track list.

Overall, I felt this album had a weak start, and some songs are mediocre. However, I generally enjoyed this album. One of the strong points is that method of delivery, from the standard singing to the chants, spoken word and scream parts, seemed to fit the songs well. For a relatively unknown band, this album should allow Adept to propel themselves upward within the scene. Also, the songs are written in a way that you can tell that Adept would produce a really energetic liver performance.

Recommended If You LikeHer Bright Skies; A Day to Remember; melodic/heavy contrast; post-hardcore; emo

myspace.com/theadept
This review is a user submitted review from BenS. You can see all of BenS's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
06:38 AM on 04/07/09
ACIDEA
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I AGREE WITH YOU ALL TOO WELL "As much as I think this was a strong album, I think that Adept have a habit of making some songs slightly longer then they should be, whereas "The Ballad of Planet Earth" being only two minutes is a travesty! Also, the songs are slightly generic post-hardcore songs and it can be said that Adept don’t seem to be pushing any boundaries. However despite this, the album does a lot of things well, such as having fantastic melodic breakdowns, outstanding technicality and vocals, and a well structured track list."
YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT the travesty all though i did enjoy "The Ballad Of Planet Earth"
04:17 PM on 04/07/09
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
I was surprised by this release, I thought it was going to be terrible. It wasn't anything great, but it is worth a few spins. Good review.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos