AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Whispered Hallows - With Honesty Comes Clarity Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4.5
Musicianship 4.75
Lyrics 6.5
Production 6.75
Creativity 1
Lasting Value 1.25
Reviewer Tilt 1.25
Final Verdict: 37%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 7.75
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 83%

Whispered Hallows - With Honesty Comes Clarity

Reviewed by: Klatzke (03/31/09)
Whispered Hallows - With Honesty Comes Clarity
Record Label: None
Release Date: September 2008

Who?

A six piece post-hardcore band from Raleigh, North Carolina -- Oh, wait, wrong one. Here we go: Whispered Hallows is a currently unsigned five-piece post-hardcore band from Wisconsin that's playing their debut EP, With Honesty Comes Clarity.

How is it?

Truthfully, almost an exact replica of Alesana. The similarities are almost eerie in a lot of places, especially in the vocal region. Not only does their singer sound like a dead ringer for Alesana's, they use the multiple layered screaming that Alesana has come to be known (and hated) for. I do have to give them a little credit - most of the screaming is actually tolerable, unlike their idols from North Carolina. Every now and then they happen on a good vocal device, like the layered screaming/growling that almost sounds similar to The Number Twelve Looks Like You, but 90% of the time it just sounds contrived and somewhat boring.

In many places, it's not even this undeniable similarity that makes me frown upon With Honesty Comes Clarity. Instead, it's their insistence on jumping on nearly every cliche they come within reach of. Some examples of this include super "slo-mo" breakdowns, subtle synth inclusions, and an extremely boring guitar approach. While it seems like their guitarists can actually throw out something impressive in places, such as the blues-y solo in "Sorry Baby, I'm Into Necrophilia", in many places the just play the standard chug-chug breakdowns and simple chord progression leads. There are a few places other than this where they mix it up and actually throw in something interesting, but the overall feel of the album is rather mediocre even when they manage to rise up past those things holding them further down.

By including things like these ultra-standard rip-off breakdowns and laughably terrible song titles like the aforementioned and "Life Without Bears Would be Unbearable", Whispered Hallows just fail to make any kind of favorable or lasting impression. In fact, the only thing this EP really makes me want to do is see whether or not I can still tolerate Alesana.

Recommended If You LikeAlesana and... Alesana

myspace.com/whisperedhallows

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 74
11:37 PM on 04/11/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
I've never ead a review before and believed that a band really does suck without even listening to them until now. This seems like a complete trainwreck.

Edit: Checked it out and you were right. The clean vocals are pretty decent but the screams...not so much.
04:38 PM on 04/13/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
Good review (although the hating on Alesana was kind of overdone; but the actual review of the album was good).
09:01 PM on 04/13/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Good review (although the hating on Alesana was kind of overdone; but the actual review of the album was good).
...except Alesana sucks.

But i wasn't really hating on them, just observing this band sounds like them.
05:26 AM on 04/14/09
Klatzke
User Info.
wtf happened to my comment? I didn't delete it.

I think if you dig through the guitar work you may find a few spots in every song where they seem to break from the shitty hardcore to almost experimental stuff. the use of delay in "I stole my belt from Orion" in the beginning is a nice touch. I'd say that "sorry baby.." and that orion song are the best 2. They break from song structure and have the most promising parts in it.

Just my 2 cents... again. hah.
I'll quote you so it doesn't disappear again. haha.

And I mentioned that there are a few good guitar parts, and I actually discussed that with the band. Like the solo in the one song.
03:22 PM on 04/14/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
...except Alesana sucks.

But i wasn't really hating on them, just observing this band sounds like them.
No, I wasn't saying the review was bad, it's just that there's 2 whole paragraphs devoted to Alesana, which is kind of overdoing it.
08:56 PM on 04/14/09
Klatzke
User Info.
No, I wasn't saying the review was bad, it's just that there's 2 whole paragraphs devoted to Alesana, which is kind of overdoing it.
No.. There's not. It's all about the band just with comments regarding them. I really doubt your comprehension skills.
03:42 PM on 04/15/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
No.. There's not. It's all about the band just with comments regarding them. I really doubt your comprehension skills.
The point I was trying to make was that you overdid it with all the Alesana comparisons. We get it, they sound similar.
04:18 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
The point I was trying to make was that you overdid it with all the Alesana comparisons. We get it, they sound similar.
Similar doesn't cut it. It's almost a rip in a lot of places. Pretty much not something you can ignore.
05:14 PM on 04/15/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
Similar doesn't cut it. It's almost a rip in a lot of places. Pretty much not something you can ignore.
Whatever term you use (similar/rip/replica) you talked way too much about their connection to Alesana.
05:19 PM on 04/15/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Whatever term you use (similar/rip/replica) you talked way too much about their connection to Alesana.
There is a pont to the constant Alesana talk. These guys are a blatant rip off of Alesana which is easily their biggest downfall. It would be the same as a band that writes shitty lyrics and not clearly pointing out that the lyrics are a problem.
05:24 PM on 04/15/09
flks511
You can't be my friend
User Info.
There is a pont to the constant Alesana talk. These guys are a blatant rip off of Alesana which is easily their biggest downfall. It would be the same as a band that writes shitty lyrics and not clearly pointing out that the lyrics are a problem.
"This band sounds a lot like Alesana." There, point made. Not.. "This band is an exact replica of Alesana. Their singer sounds too much like Milke. They use screamers, like Alesana. But the screaming is decent, not like Alesana. I wonder if I can stand Alesana now. etc, etc.
05:29 PM on 04/15/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
"This band sounds a lot like Alesana." There, point made. Not.. "This band is an exact replica of Alesana. Their singer sounds too much like Milke. They use screamers, like Alesana. But the screaming is decent, not like Alesana. I wonder if I can stand Alesana now. etc, etc.
Again, read the last sentence of my previous post.
06:07 PM on 04/15/09
Klatzke
User Info.
You're an idiot. Stick to writing flattering reviews for second rate bands, and I'll keep comparing other bad releases to them.
06:12 PM on 04/15/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
You're an idiot. Stick to writing flattering reviews for second rate bands, and I'll keep comparing other bad releases to them.
Haha there's no point in explaining it to this kid.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests