AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

mewithoutYou - it's all crazy! it's all... Album Cover

mewithoutYou - it's all crazy! it's all...

Reviewed by
mewithoutYouit’s all crazy! it’s all false! it’s all a dream! it’s alright
Release Date: May 19, 2009
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s not often you hear an album described as being accessible and polarizing at the same time, but that’s exactly what happened with it’s all crazy! it’s all false! it’s all a dream! it’s alright, the fourth studio album from mewithoutYou. It’s always been Aaron Weiss’ poetic vision set to post-hardcore that leaned on angst and shouting. But on it’s all crazy, Weiss and company have exchanged that noise for something simpler, as the group focused more on their melodic and folk influences.

Don’t let the lack of riffs and electric guitars fool you though, it’s all crazy is still an intense and passionate mewithoutYou album, just this time it is channeled into pianos, accordions, and lavish compositions. Opening track, “every thought a Thought of You,” is upbeat, as electronic piano chords and a steady drum beat pace Weiss’ poetic verses. The bass lines from Greg Jehanian’s are absolutely pleasant, as it livens up the track even more. Lyrically, Weiss is still exploring theological themes, delving into the Bible and the Qur’an for lyrical inspiration.

But it doesn’t stop there, Weiss has also invested into telling parables, many regarding animals, throughout the album. The best example of this is “the Fox, the Crow, and the Cookie,” which features vibrant acoustic guitar chords, horns, and bells. The addition of violin and subtle plucking round out the track into a delicious piece of music. The experimentation of different musical avenues help develop it’s all crazy into an exciting album.

Older fans of the band will enjoy “bullet to Binary (pt. two)” as Weiss’ vocals come alive against aggressive acoustic chords. Verses like “The potato called from underground "You've got it all turned upside down!/Does the rain that sent each spring anew/To fall on her not fall on you?/You project on her your inward scene/She's a blank external movie screen/But the One who looks out from your eyes/Looks through hers and looks through mine" continue to display the mastery Weiss shows on his lyricism.

The positive nature of “Timothy Hay” shines through on the instrumentation, while “Fig with a Bellyache” presents itself as one of the weirdest yet most intriguing mwY songs ever. “Allah, Allah, Allah” does have a campfire sing-along groove to it, as Weiss exclaims, “In everywhere we look, Allah Allah Allah in everywhere we look.”. But Rickie Mazzotta’s drums boom, and Michael Weiss kicks in one of the few guitar riffs on the album, giving the track a slight, dare I say, Sgt. Peppers’ vibe.

it’s all crazy! it’s all false! it’s all crazy! it’s alright is, as one forum member eloquently put it, “a grower not a shower,” and I happen to agree. It takes a few listens to grasp the lyrical themes and to understand what Weiss and company are trying to accomplish. Weiss’ lyricism focuses a lot on theology as usual, but this time his words aren’t peppered with self-doubt. Instead, animals, nature, fables, and parables tell the story, and it is jarring at first. It’s definitely a different approach, as a lot of the lyrics are simple and nature and repetitive. Musically, this is one of the most ambitious albums of 2009. The musicianship here is incredible. Each song is unique and the instrumentation is beautiful. Kudos to mewithoutYou for staying fresh in a scene where being generic is the norm. The album may come across as crazy, but in the end you’ll realize that’s alright.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. every thought a Thought of You
2. the Fox, the Crow, and the Cookie
3. the Angel of Death came to David's room
4. goodbye, I!
5. a Stick, a Carrot and String
6. bullet to Binary (pt. two)
7. Timothy Hay
8. Fig with a Bellyache
9. Cattail Down
10. the King Beetle on a Coconut Estate
11. Allah, Allah, Allah
Produced by: Dan Smith

mewithoutYou is:
Aaron Weiss - vocals, acoustic guitar, accordion, trumpet
Michael Weiss - guitar, keyboards, vocals
Rickie Mazzotta - drums
Greg Jehanian - bass, vocals

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 118
07:19 AM on 04/24/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Great review. Ah, I cannot wait to hear this!
Reading about it has made me even more exited! Fantastic!
07:21 AM on 04/24/09
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
Interesting... Good review, Drew. However, no matter how many times I read the review, and no matter how many times I look at the score, I feel like this is an album where you just have to listen to it for yourself and allow it to move you in the way it'll move you, rather than let a review influence it.

That's not to say your review is worthless, but I would guess that you might agree with me, eh?
yellowhouse
there's a lot of beauty, sometimes
User Info.
Want this, so bad.
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
I really didn't know what to think of it at first, but it really is fantastic.
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
great album. Can't wait to own a legal copy (with better audio quality haha). Brother, Sister is still my favorite, but after letting this grow on me, it is a darn fine album.
07:28 AM on 04/24/09
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Interesting... Good review, Drew. However, no matter how many times I read the review, and no matter how many times I look at the score, I feel like this is an album where you just have to listen to it for yourself and allow it to move you in the way it'll move you, rather than let a review influence it.

That's not to say your review is worthless, but I would guess that you might agree with me, eh?
haha no I agree with you. I never want my reviews to influence how someone feels about an album, I don't want my opinion to mold other people's opinion, I just always hope my reviews will give a different perspective for someone and/or at least intrigue the person to check out the album and make their own judgments, ya dig? thanks for the comment
07:32 AM on 04/24/09
Uwe Blab
DANGER ZONE!
User Info.
I've never really gotten into this band until now, but I really enjoy this album.
07:40 AM on 04/24/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
I can't wait for this to come in stores. I'm super excited for this album. Probably one of my AOTY. Great review and great record.
07:42 AM on 04/24/09
iIi
kick me, i'm irish
User Info.
I love albums that hook you right away because it sounds so unlike everything you've listened to before, but yet sounds familiar. Then with every new listen you find something new to enjoy; where your favorite song on the album changes every couple of weeks. That's how I feel about this band, and that's how I feel about this album. Good review.
07:49 AM on 04/24/09
Galedeep
Big Damn Hero
User Info.
I cannot wait to pick this up. Great review, sir.
08:10 AM on 04/24/09
g00dbye
User Info.
Quote:
The album may come across as crazy, but in the end you’ll realize that’s alright.

Haha. Love that. Good review as well!
08:14 AM on 04/24/09
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
so nervous for this album like I get during everyone of the mewithoutYou records.....but also excited

and btw drew, the last paragraph in the first line you got the album title wrong...you put "it's all crazy" twice.....just sayin......awesome review though
08:21 AM on 04/24/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I've never understood this band. Lyrically, they're solid. But the music is just too avant-garde for me. But their live show, well now brother, that's a whole new ballgame,
08:24 AM on 04/24/09
xJesusFreakx
Rejoice! Rejoice!
User Info.
Quote:
Weiss’ lyricism focuses a lot on theology as usual, but this time his words aren’t peppered with self-doubt. Instead, animals, nature, fables, and parables tell the story, and it is jarring at first.

Definitely... I listened to the leak (I know, shame on me), and I have no idea what I think of the lyrics. They are rather poetic, but the brutal honesty and stream-of-thought delivery is what made me fall in love with them, so I'm not sure about this. I'll still buy it when it comes out, though, and hopefully it'll grow on me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos