AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Greeley Estates - Far From The Lies Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.08
Musicianship 4.92
Lyrics 4.42
Production 5.33
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 5.08
Average: 53%
Inside AP.net

Greeley Estates - Far From The Lies

Reviewed by: circatbs (04/23/09)
Greeley Estates - Far From the Lies
Record Label: Science Records
Release Date: June 6, 2006

Greeley Estates are one of the many post-hardcore acts hailing from Arizona. Far From The Lies is their 2006 effort, and their third release overall. Their style is very reminiscent of The Used and My Chemical Romance's early work, and lead vocalist Ryan Zimmerman sounds a lot like Bert McCracken (The Used).

Let me tell you this right off the bat: Greeley Estates aren't out there making music to create an entirely new style or change any genres. Far From The Lies is very similar to The Used's debut, along with other early 2000s post-hardcore acts. They utilize the rough singing style, the occasional screaming, and fast guitar riffs. "The End Of All We Know" opens up the album with a slow guitar riff and then explodes into Ryan Zimmerman screaming. This is one of the heavier tracks on the album, while the next song "Too Much CSI" is one of the slower songs. "Nothing Good Happens After Dark" starts with some acoustic guitar work, and then erupts into fast guitars and harsh screaming. The rough sing/scream style that Greeley Estates uses is not much different from many other bands, at any time the singer could go from out-of-tune singing to throaty screaming.

One of the best songs on the album is "Secret," which is all acoustic and shows that Zimmerman can actually sing pretty well. Now, don't expect too much from the lyrics on this album. They're no different from what you've seen a million times before. Very basic writing such as "And I'll keep my word, I made a promise to you / For what it's worth, I've always stood by your side," shows they aren't much different from their competitors in that category. The lyrics are, however, not all about violence and suicide like many of their post-hardcore brethren. They can in fact sing about something else than cliche break-ups.

As I said in the beginning, Greeley Estates aren't out there making music to change everything. They aren't out there to impact people emotionally with their beautiful lyrics and heartfelt emotion. They aren't going to mesmerize everybody with insane guitar solos and vocal acrobatics. They're just playing the music they love, and doing it pretty damn well.

Recommended If You LikeThe Used's Self-Titled and In Love And Death; My Chemical Romance's I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love; Silverstein

myspace.com/greeleyestates

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
02:26 PM on 04/30/09
Ansset
User Info.
It's an awesome record. Congrats on all the success, Greeley Estates.
03:16 PM on 04/30/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
lol, there is definitely no "The" in front of Greeley
06:41 PM on 04/30/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
lol, there is definitely no "The" in front of Greeley
Yep.
11:55 PM on 04/30/09
tipoftheiceberg
son of the silent age
User Info.
alright review
work on your vocabulary a little and you'll be doing fine

[:
08:05 PM on 05/01/09
Brett3
User Info.
Love this band. Great review.
08:57 PM on 05/01/09
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
This album is good but Go West... is the greatest thing Greeley Estates has ever done.
06:42 AM on 05/02/09
WoodenSoldier
take your time coming home
User Info.
This album is good but Go West... is the greatest thing Greeley Estates has ever done.
agreed. its fantastic
01:14 PM on 05/02/09
jfork
User Info.
Good review, atrocious band.
05:06 AM on 05/04/09
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
I bought this album on CD, and I think I have listened to it once. It's not like their other work was groundbreaking, but this is just plain bad (as far as I remember).
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums