AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sonny - Gypsyhook EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5
Musicianship 5.25
Lyrics 3.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 2.5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 47%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.63
Musicianship 3.13
Lyrics 1.13
Production 4.63
Creativity 3.38
Lasting Value 2.63
Reviewer Tilt 3.63
Average: 32%

Sonny - Gypsyhook EP

Reviewed by: circatbs (04/17/09)
Sonny - Gypsyhook EP
Record Label: Atlantic
Release Date: April 7, 2009

When Sonny Moore decided to leave his highly successful band, From First to Last, I was skeptical. When I found out he left the band to work on an electronica project, I was even more skeptical. Gypsyhook is the first official release of Sonny's new project, and oh boy, is it disappointing.

After I heard the first demo that surfaced, entitled "Signal," I got pretty excited. It was a good song. When I found out it wouldn't be on the EP, I was, once again, skeptical. What this EP is, is three original tracks, "Gypsyhook," "Mora," and "Copaface2." The rest of the EP is four remixes of these three songs, and a Japanese version of "Mora." The first thing I noticed about this album, is that the tracklisting looks horrible. I mean, come on, who thought it was a good idea to put two remixes of the same song right after one another? After I listened to the album for the first time, I realize the tracklisting is a bigger problem than I previously thought-- these remixes are flat out bad and all sound the same. I can barely tell the two different remixes of "Mora" apart, and it just sounds like one long, ten minute, extremely repetitive song. Also, there are four different versions of one song, "Mora." Come on, add a little diversity here people! The Japanese version of this song is completely pointless, since it's the exact same thing as the original, only in Japanese, so you can't understand any of it. I really don't understand the point of all of these remixes.

But, remixed and Japanese songs aside, the three originals are decent at best. All three are far better than the other five tracks on the EP. The title track, "Gypsyhook," is at most catchy and fun, but also extremely forgettable. "Mora" is the best track on the EP, which is again, catchy and fun, but not nearly as forgettable as the title track. "Copaface2" is another dancy song, yet nothing special.

Overall, I was hoping this album would be good, even though I didn't think it had the potential to be. Now that I've heard it, I think it did have the potential to be a solid dance-pop record. Sonny simply needs some more experience as an artist and songwriter before he'll release something that is what could be considered "good," or maybe if he's lucky, something great.

Recommended If You LikeA kid trying to get somewhere; potential; bad remixes; Japanese songs; four "different" versions of the same song being on one EP

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
06:44 PM on 05/01/09
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
You didn't mention his extremely annoying vocals
07:34 PM on 05/01/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Lyrics are rated too high.
11:43 AM on 05/02/09
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
You got the right idea. Along with everything else rated too high. This EP is absolutely horrific.
04:15 PM on 05/06/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I didn't wanna make it too low and hurt his feelings, ya know?
04:30 PM on 05/06/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I didn't wanna make it too low and hurt his feelings, ya know?
Doesn't he sing "choking on that dick you rode"? I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying too hard. But it's nice you considered his feelings.
04:43 PM on 05/06/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Doesn't he sing "choking on that dick you rode"? I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying too hard. But it's nice you considered his feelings.
haha, yeah he does. they're bad lyrics, but not all of them are as horrendous as that. they did get the lowest rating out of everything....
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests