AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Holding Onto Hope - This Love You Seek EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Holding Onto Hope - This Love You Seek EP

Reviewed by: circatbs (04/20/09)
Holding Onto Hope - This Love You Seek EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: 2008

Holding Onto Hope is a band you need to know. Their debut EP, entitled This Love You Seek, is a chaotic, fast paced, emotional, and creative EP. The way they go about using clean vocals is very different from other bands, as there are no sung vocals. All the clean vocals on this EP are spoken. The spoken vocals add a nice touch to the songs and allow the listener to truly experience what the song is about. Their atmospheric instrumentation is similar to bands such as Oceana, and they really provide some interesting guitar parts and inventive breakdowns.

This Love You Seek opens with the track "Esosa Dia Elpida," which is nearly two minutes long and completely spoken. The song clearly shows the band's Christian influence. The second track is "Bridges," which starts off slow and then turns into a fast paced, chaotic song that'll get you up and playing the air guitar. "Comfort And Need" is another great song, and includes a quote from the movie Gladiator. "My Last Breath" is another song with lots of spoken vocals, and is one of the more emotionally heavy songs on the album.

The title track and "Standing Still As Greatness Passes Me By" are both excellent tracks, and they go very well together. The lyrics in these songs, and the five others, are really well written. You can tell that Holding Onto Hope is very much a Christian band, and personally, I think it makes their music even better than it already is. "This Love You Seek" has excellent vocals, and they are really the highlight of the song until about the halfway point, where the instrumentals take over. Towards the ending of the song there is some powerful gang vocals that really fit the mood, and then a soothing guitar riff just lets the track float off to a close.

"Dust" is the final track, and is the most powerful song on the album. It's ten minutes long, and nothing shy of excellent. You can almost feel the passion of this song. It sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. The opening guitar riff alone is enough to make you love the song, and then you hear vocalist Cory O'keefe saying "For my days vanish like smoke / My bones burn like glowing embers / My heart is blinded and withered like grass / I forget to eat my food." If this were the only song on the whole EP, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. It is completely spoken vocals, backed up by swirling guitars and heavy bass. The drumming is another great part of this song, it gives it so much more depth and energy. At about the five and a half minute mark, the song turns into a slew of catchy beats, and sounds like something the guys in Underoath would cook up.

This Love You Seek is an amazing debut EP by a band sure to have a bright future. If you have not heard this, well, that's a problem. You really, really, need to.

Recommended If You LikeOceana, La Dispute, amazing music

myspace.com/hohband

Download the This Love You Seek EP for free here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
05:35 PM on 04/29/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
good review.
06:37 PM on 04/30/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Is that the cover art for it?
07:02 PM on 05/01/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
dust is probably my favorite track but i could do without the extended ending. all of dust's lyrics are exact lines from psalm 102 and psalm 103 of the bible.
i do like bridges a lot too. good review too.

i also don't think 'onto' makes sense in the band name...shouldn't it be 'on to.' idk

the new cd is a huge improvement imo. you should review that cd too.
07:10 PM on 05/01/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
awesome EP is awesome. really into this band.
08:26 PM on 05/03/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
dust is probably my favorite track but i could do without the extended ending. all of dust's lyrics are exact lines from psalm 102 and psalm 103 of the bible.
i do like bridges a lot too. good review too.

i also don't think 'onto' makes sense in the band name...shouldn't it be 'on to.' idk

the new cd is a huge improvement imo. you should review that cd too.
I reviewed that one if you haven't seen it.
08:45 PM on 05/03/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
I reviewed that one if you haven't seen it.
ah thanks :)
04:14 PM on 05/06/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is that the cover art for it?
that's what was on last.fm so i assumed it was
04:58 PM on 05/06/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
that's what was on last.fm so i assumed it was
I've never seen it before so I wasn't sure.
03:54 PM on 06/08/09
HoldingOntoHope
Holding Onto Hope
User Info.
we have a new layout/updated stuff/pay what you feel for the cd/etc

also this week we'll have a new acoustic youtube up and then a new music video as well
:)
11:26 PM on 06/22/09
HoldingOntoHope
Holding Onto Hope
User Info.

new video
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives