AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Jealous Sound - 03.27.09

Jealous Sound - 03.27.09

Interviewed by
Jealous Sound - 03.27.09Thank you to all the readers who submitted questions and Blair and Pedro for taking the time to do the interview!

Okay the first question I am going to start with is the big one: What has the Jealous Sound been up too since signing to The Militia Group? There were rumors the band had broken up among other things.

Pedro: Rumors are just that and we have read the same ones everyone else has and although we weren't writing, recording, or touring, no one had called and said there was no longer a Jealous Sound. It was a strange and uncertain time for sure but we were trying to live 'normal' lives after being on the road for years touring for Kill Them that we were just a little road worn. The Militia Group was very understanding to say the least and never really pressured us to do anything we didn't feel we were up to doing.

You guys wrote on your website back when you first signed to Milita Group that you were in the studio recording for the album you are now working on now. What happened to that material? Did it appear on the Got Friends EP or is it all still being worked on for the upcoming album?

Pedro: Yes, it is in fact 3 songs from those sessions. Everything we are working on as I type this to you is new.... There is a post-it on the studio wall that reads "No old shit". It's not as 'brotastic' as it sounds; just a reminder to ourselves that we are writing the songs that we want to right now. Starting a new chapter with a new love a different inspiration new methods and a better understanding and vocabulary for what it is we are doing now. These songs are coming from a different place one with more purpose and no, we aren't using oboes or trying to be something different than what and who we are.

What has the recording process been like so far for this album? What events are helping to shape this album and what made you guys decide it was time to hit the studio again?

Blair: I have had a major unexpected life change, re-examined who i am and what is really important to me. Although the band had not officially broken up i had moved to Las Vegas, in retrospect not the most well thought out plan but a plan none-the-less. Being in this band as a "grown up" competed with the things other people take for granted; security, financial and otherwise. I thought i could be happier focusing on a "normal adult life". Well, as "normal" or "adult" as you can be in Las Vegas. No, not that kind of "adult". Life has a different plan for me and has brought me back home to L.A. a couple of years later with a very different view and mindset.

Pedro: As for the recording, we are basically working 6 days and nights a week sitting in our studio and working on songs using the same gear everyone else is using these days. It is easy working like this and we have been able to find the moods and vibes of songs very easily in here. Anything we want to try we do and having this freedom has really helped to facilitate the song writing process. Oh, and it is really fun.

Are you guys working with Tim O'Heir again or are you self-recording the record?

Pedro: As for a producer we have been talking about a couple of different routes but right now we are so focused on the songs that we will cross that bridge when we get to it. We want this to be a very easy record to produce for anyone by doing all of the heavier lifting and sculpting ourselves.

What bands have you guys been listening to since the last album/what artists have been influencing you?

Blair: We prefer the term reference to influence. More so we have been studying songs we love and how they were made. Why the affect us the way they do and how the band or songwriter came to what we are listening to.... It is an interesting way to listen to music when we are not only moved by the song or the melody but by the construction of the song and how the layers and tones overlap and intertwine to make the 'part' so not only moving but interesting.

Pedro: we have been listening to everything and anything from the RockAFire Explosion (the ShowBiz Pizza band), especially their cut of 'Love in this club' to our friend's bands. As for what is out now the only good station in L.A. (KXLU) is unavailable in our area.... boo. There are some bands that move us beyond belief with melody, drama, honesty and their articulation of mood and feeling but I won't name names. I am not a rat.

Although it may be still a little early and I know this question is always hard for artists to answer, how would you describe the material you are recording now?

Pedro: Devastating yet life affirming. That was actually easy.

Im impressed, that one usually is hard for people to answer. Also, a lot of readers want to know if you guys plan on touring after the release of the album

Pedro: Yes, that is part of the reason we are so excited to be doing this record. We have been given the greatest opportunity and to be able to play these songs in front of old friends and new ones as well is a pretty amazing feeling.

Thats awesome I am definitely looking forward to that. Lastly, I just want to ask you a sort of fun question. What are three albums you guys think everyone should listen to?

Pedro: Music for Airports, A Weekend in the City, Disintegration, Closer, Antony and the Johnsons, Saturdays=Youth, Transportation + Communication = Love.... I could go on forever, but I won't. I am quite certain that most of your readers have these recordings already.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
10:26 AM on 05/12/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
:woot:

So stoked to hear they are still together and working on new stuff.
10:38 AM on 05/12/09
gonfreaks
User Info.
New album + tour is amazing. So glad these guys are active again.
10:55 AM on 05/12/09
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
11:11 AM on 05/12/09
uglystar03
User Info.
Holy crap. I don't believe it. I thought the Got Friends EP would be the last we heard from them. If the new album is really "devastating yet life affirming" I am extremely excited to hear it.
11:37 AM on 05/12/09
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
New album + tour is amazing. So glad these guys are active again.
Just wait until you see who they are touring with!
12:12 PM on 05/12/09
transitrock
young brash hopeful
User Info.
if it is the get up kids I will go bananas
03:19 PM on 05/12/09
jnnlopez
User Info.
Did not know they put out a new EP. Will have to check that out.
08:50 PM on 05/12/09
TheBaroness
User Info.
this makes me so happy.
07:00 AM on 05/13/09
Wutz
Don't Worry, I'm A Pilot
User Info.
First of all, thanks for the doing the interview the way you did. It seemed respectful and non-intrusive. You weren't trying to find "the dirty laundry" more than a general "something kind of happened." Well done on the interview.

We all should be stoked that TJS is taking pity on all of our souls and releasing material/touring in the future.
01:32 PM on 05/13/09
WhoaWhoIsThis
sincerity over simple chords
User Info.
Finally! Thank you Rich. (Though, why'd you make us wait almost 2 months?)

I am excited that they are still a band and will be releasing new material onto the world, period. But I have to admit that I am a little worried about their comments about, "Starting a new chapter with a new love a different inspiration new methods..." etc. Of course I do not expect this band to be the same band they were 6-8 years ago. (Though today I listened to Hot Water Music, Further Seems Forever, The Get Up Kids, and now The Jealous Sound, so I'm the same as I was 6-8 years ago!) But as a huge fan of the sounds of the first EP and album, I just hope their new sound will be equally amazing.

Now how long do I have to wait for this album to be released and for them to tour?
01:33 PM on 05/13/09
WhoaWhoIsThis
sincerity over simple chords
User Info.
Just wait until you see who they are touring with!
Don't tease us like that, Rich!
03:20 PM on 05/13/09
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Finally! Thank you Rich. (Though, why'd you make us wait almost 2 months?)

I am excited that they are still a band and will be releasing new material onto the world, period. But I have to admit that I am a little worried about their comments about, "Starting a new chapter with a new love a different inspiration new methods..." etc. Of course I do not expect this band to be the same band they were 6-8 years ago. (Though today I listened to Hot Water Music, Further Seems Forever, The Get Up Kids, and now The Jealous Sound, so I'm the same as I was 6-8 years ago!) But as a huge fan of the sounds of the first EP and album, I just hope their new sound will be equally amazing.

Now how long do I have to wait for this album to be released and for them to tour?
I think you will be pleased with it. I have not heard anything or anything like that, but I love their music and the previous bands they have been in so I am not worried. The main thing with the wait was just scheduling difficulties and I was waiting for some more exciting news.

No word on the release of the album though
02:47 PM on 06/24/09
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Don't tease us like that, Rich!
Just posted on the front page, they will be touring with SDRE

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music