AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
CKY - Carver City Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.17
Musicianship 9.67
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8.67
Creativity 7.42
Lasting Value 9.08
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

CKY - Carver City

Reviewed by: OKComputer1016 (05/30/09)
CKYCarver City
Record Label: Roadrunner
Release Date: May 19, 2009

It’s now been four years since CKY’s An Answer Can Be Found, and for me, those four years have been spent in anticipation. Part of it was the group’s steady-building momentum: every album in the catalogue has been significantly better than the one that came before it, with the songwriting and technicality coming to an impressive peak on Answer. Then there’s the fact that the group’s own frontman Deron Miller has been hyping up the new material as CKY’s best stuff yet long before Carver City had seen the light of day.

For my money, there’s almost nothing the group could have done to improve on their last release, and I was shocked to see them even try (supposedly breaking up and reuniting in the process.) Carver City is well worth the hype, the wait, and the considerable tension that now consumes the band members – a very solid start-to-finish listen with no clutter to be found.

“Hellions on Parade” and “…And She Never Returned” kick off the album to a phenomenal start, all muscular riffs and groovy drums; and amazingly that quality of songwriting and performing lasts all the way through the entire album. Unlike An Answer Can Be Found, which had an acoustic piece halfway through the album, Carver City doesn’t let up on the asskicking until the very end.

CKY have always worn their 1970’s riff-rock influences very prominently, but here we see the group nodding more firmly towards the decade that followed. The same keyboards that made “Flesh Into Gear” so awesome show up all over this album, particularly when paired with bigger drums and a robotic vocal flourish in “Plagued By Images” (which I would call a highlight of the album, except that every song is a highlight of the album!)

As with every CKY release, the finishing touch is an eerily calm, reflective closer purposely mismatched against the anger and aggression of the rest of the album. These have been some pretty standout moments in the CKY discography: “Close Yet Far” added another dimension to Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild, and “To All of You” from Volume 1 used a wall of My Bloody Valentine guitars to lull the listener into a sort of coma. It should come as no surprise, then, that “The Era of an End” brings Carver City to a perfect conclusion with its calming 60’s vocal melodies and slow-head-nod pace. It shows that there’s more to the group than an octave pedal and some scales (even though that's basically the greatest sound in the world.)

I’ve been trying to convince people for years that this band was the shit, and hopefully this will be the album that turns some heads… because nothing is more annoying than responses like, “Aren’t they that Jackass band?” It’s a really close call as to whether or not Carver City surpasses An Answer Can Be Found in quality, but considering the number of times I’ve listened to this album, it’s very, very likely.

Don’t Believe Me?
www.myspace.com/cky

Recommended If You Like:
If you can think of a band who sounds like CKY, then you tell me.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
11:40 AM on 05/30/09
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Really good album. I just hate all the Bam Margera associations with this band, so I agree with your point about people saying "aren't they that Jackass band?" being annoying. Really the only gripe I have with them though. But oh well. Nice review.
11:50 AM on 05/30/09
Chris Reynolds
I want to see both worlds as one...
User Info.
Really good album. I just hate all the Bam Margera associations with this band, so I agree with your point about people saying "aren't they that Jackass band?" being annoying. Really the only gripe I have with them though. But oh well. Nice review.
Well maybe the fact his older brother is the drummer had something to do with it...?
11:51 AM on 05/30/09
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Well maybe the fact his older brother is the drummer had something to do with it...?
I know. It still doesn't change the fact that it's annoying, because I can't stand Bam Margera and people who think CKY are "just that Jackass band" like Eric stated in the review.
12:04 PM on 05/30/09
Toner
I'll Always Never Know
User Info.
Cannot wait to finish uni in a week and get this album blasting in the sun. This and dredg combined are going to dominate my summer!

Also, there is truth in the recommendations. CKY are like no other band. I'll be hugely impressed if anyone manages to prove otherwise!
12:24 PM on 05/30/09
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
Aren't they that Jackass band?
12:40 PM on 05/30/09
Trent Powers
User Info.
"I’ve been trying to convince people for years that this band was the shit"

hahahahahaha
12:54 PM on 05/30/09
relientkid777
User Info.
lolwut. 93% isn't this that Jackass band that everyone liked in highschool?
12:56 PM on 05/30/09
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
This band is indeed the shit.
12:58 PM on 05/30/09
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
My friend has a total boner for these guys, and I never got around to listening to more than "96 Quite Bitter Beings". I have to check it out now, you puts such kind words in haha,
03:26 PM on 05/30/09
OKComputer1016
this is success-this is how we feel
User Info.
lolwut. 93% isn't this that Jackass band that everyone liked in highschool?
good job.

haha. don't make CKY into 311, man.
03:28 PM on 05/30/09
OKComputer1016
this is success-this is how we feel
User Info.
it's like saying FLAMING LIPS? ARENT THEY THAT BAND WHO PLAYED ON MELROSE PLAYS?

yup. this one time.

PUBLIC ENEMY? ARENT THEY THAT VH1 BAND?
05:17 PM on 05/30/09
absentimentalxs
User Info.
I only listened to this album once, so I cant really judge yet.
But I thought it was kinda boring.
06:00 PM on 05/30/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Yeah, I doubt I could take this seriously given the connection to Bam Margera.
06:04 PM on 05/30/09
the rog
Yale, MA / Pretty & Nice
User Info.
I had no idea bam was so reviled.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives