AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Jesu - Silver Album Cover

Jesu - Silver

Reviewed by
One of the greatest things about music is that it allows you to think; it's as if music is the key to your mind and anything that is worrying you is carefully opened up to the soundtrack of music, and as you turn it off you feel relieved. When I received this album the other day, I was really excited. I have always been a enormous fan of whatever Hydra Head Records have released. I knew I would be listening to something interesting, but I couldn't have guessed that it would sound anything like this. Hydra Head is notorious for releasing material from very atmospheric bands, but Jesu is redefining the genre. Before I began writing the review, I tried to find a definition for the name of the band, and this is what I came up with: Jesu is sometimes a vocative of Jesus in English. Mastermind Justin Broadrick is relating all his wildest and vivid dreams into his music and creating magnificent characters. In all probability, Broadrick is best known for founding the influential metal band, Napalm Death. However, any Jesu fan should know by now that he has done a little revamping with his musical stylings. It's as if he put his favorite reverie, a snowy mountaintop, and every single wonderful texture in the world into a blender and out came the bands' latest release, Silver. The record opens powerfully with a whirlwind of dreary music and progresses in such an epic form it encapsulates the listener and forces them to continually listen. Broadrick's voice is dramatic and the music is larger-than-life.

Silver is a four-track album that says more than most twelve-track records. Making little use of song titles, Broadrick is able to find and use a sole word to describe each track of music that is absolutely phenomenal and grand in proportion. You have to close your eyes and imagine yourself on top of the highest peak in the world, arms spread wide open, and feeling nothing but free and uncontrolled. This is an album that is asking for you to let go of everything and allow yourself to besucked into this illusory world that Mr. Broadrick has superbly created for you. It's as if Jesu is the narrator, or the soundtrack, and/or the climax of your favorite dream. And once it all ends, all you can think about is getting back to the fantasy that was created in your head, causing you to get up and press "play" again. Silver is a record that begs to be listened to in a reflective manner. Find yourself alone, put this record on, lie down, and I can promise you that this music will make sense, and everything in your life will look just that more lucid. We all live too fast, and Broadrick has created this album in order for you to slow down.

Silver has more then one selling point, but one of the greatest throughout the album is when Jesu commences with the track "Silver." It's as if you are watching a brilliant movie and you just can't turn it off; lthough in this case, it is music, it still has the same effect. Making little use of lyrics, the listener has to rely on the music solely for a breathtaking exhibit of imagery. The honest way to describe it is Explosions In The Sky on a snowy mountaintop. Being from the English / Welsh border, it is clear how Broadick has been magnificent with creating such theatrical and touching music. "Star" makes a little bit more use of lyrics and the music has been sped up as well. You will still find yourself in one of the most colorful of your wildest dreams, except you are truly experiencing this euphoria because you are wide awake. Jesu have released a complex album that is not for the dull-minded. Silver was exclusively crafted for the free-thinkers, for the people that enjoy not only listening to music, but feeling it as it creeps up and down your body. Jesu admirably return with their astral release Silver, a record that allows you to drift off and live in a dream.

CreditsEditor : Jared Kaufman
Album Artwork : RevHQ.com
Record Label : Hydra Head
This review is a user submitted review from Pat Marquez. You can see all of Pat Marquez's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 54
12:26 PM on 10/17/06
petey536
peace
User Info.
good review, im going to have to check this cd out
12:35 PM on 10/17/06
EyesOfMadness
it'sawonderfullife
User Info.
nice to see some love for this band, Silver and the s/t are two of the best albums in my collection

great review too, spot on
12:36 PM on 10/17/06
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
i'll have to check this out
12:37 PM on 10/17/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Thanks guys, if you do -- let me know about it. Such a great album for sure.
12:38 PM on 10/17/06
Lemieux66
Backlit
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
band is the shit, if only they'd play in the US
12:40 PM on 10/17/06
EyesOfMadness
it'sawonderfullife
User Info.
for all those who like Jesu, you should check out Sunn O))), they are just as sick, but definately more bizarre...
12:40 PM on 10/17/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
band is the shit, if only they'd play in the US
Haha... well Hydra Head is based in the U.S... I am sure that is why they decided to sign w/ them to create some sort of a buzz over here. I kow Napalm Death was signed to Century Media... but they have a label and like a bunch of countries, I think...
12:41 PM on 10/17/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
for all those who like Jesu, you should check out Sunn O))), they are just as sick, but definately more bizarre...
I have heard so many insane things about this band, I think someone here has reviewed them.
12:47 PM on 10/17/06
EyesOfMadness
it'sawonderfullife
User Info.
I have heard so many insane things about this band, I think someone here has reviewed them.

ya they are really insane...i don't know much about them at all but the album black one is really awesome, i really don't know how to descibe it except for intense
12:52 PM on 10/17/06
anishkabob
three or four
User Info.
great review. i absolutely love this album.
01:06 PM on 10/17/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
ya they are really insane...i don't know much about them at all but the album black one is really awesome, i really don't know how to descibe it except for intense
Haha, yeah it was kind of hard to describe this album as well. The reoccuring thing that came to my mind is being in snow...
01:19 PM on 10/17/06
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
SunnO))) is one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Very atmospheric. Almost creepy.

I will have to check out Jesu based on the review and that comparison.
01:19 PM on 10/17/06
irthetyler
Coachillin'?
User Info.
wow nice to see this get reviewed.
01:20 PM on 10/17/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
SunnO))) is one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Very atmospheric. Almost creepy.

I will have to check out Jesu based on the review and that comparison.
Really, ya should check them out dude SO FUCKING GOOD. I can't get over this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos