AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
We Came As Romans - Dreams EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 10
Production 9
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.06
Musicianship 5.03
Lyrics 5.22
Production 5.36
Creativity 4.31
Lasting Value 5.06
Reviewer Tilt 5.19
Average: 50%
Inside AP.net

We Came As Romans - Dreams EP

Reviewed by: fashionshowdown (06/05/09)
We Came As Romans - Dreams EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 12, 2008

I first heard We Came As Romans roughly a year ago, when they added me as a friend on Myspace. I didn’t listen to any of their music, just added them. In the winter I was scheduled to do photos at a show for a band that just so happened to be opening for WCAR, so I decided to actually listen to them this time. When I first heard “Dreams” it was like a match made in heaven. If you think WCAR is just another hardcore band, then you are mistaken.

First things first, this is a free four song EP that was produced by Joey Sturgis (Mychildren Mybride, The Devil Wears Prada, Attack Attack!) and the quality of it is just fantastic. There’s a lot of depth to this EP, not something that can be said for most bands today. I think the best way to give you, the reader, an idea of what to expect is a track by track analysis.

The CD starts with “Conditions” and the words “We were designed for more, in an image not our own.” The way it sounds coming out of the speakers could not be any more perfect. It is clear from the beginning that this is a band with a message bigger than them; a message of love. It became clear to me that WCAR was unashamed of their faith, and that they intend to make their listeners feel a sense of belonging.

The title track “Dreams” follows “Conditions” in epic fashion. Clean vocals chime in the words “This is my deepest dream”, and then the screams kick in with gang vocals to sing “Here struggling with my brothers.” It is a song that in no way, shape or form can be forgotten. It has everything that hardcore/metalcore bands attempt for but never achieve.

“Intentions” follows “Dreams” and continues upon the journey with impressive lyrics that are far from meaningless: “Open your eyes and see what it means to feel compassion and live in love.” It gives you the sense that WCAR believe in what they sing, and that is something that the world needs more of. Towards the end of this song there is an all out orchestra (sorry The Devil Wears Prada, they beat you to it) and it is far better than any orchestra I’ve ever heard from this genre (or any other).

The last song of the EP is “Shapes,” which tells a tale about the evils of the world. WCAR addresses many issues that we face on this earth, like war and death, but still they sing of love's healing powers. Musically it is exceptional; they manage to avoid abuse of synthesizers.

No matter whom you are, the lyrics featured on this EP should serve as a basis for living life. We Came As Romans attempts to spread the love to the world via their music, and frankly, I wish we had more people with hearts as big as theirs.

Track Listing:
1. Conditions
2. Dreams
3. Intentions
4. Shapes

RIYL: Attack Attack! , MyChildren MyBride, The Devil Wears Prada, Burden of A Day

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34.
10:21 PM on 06/17/09
weaz45
stopthefuckincar.
User Info.
just too much auto tune for me
11:57 PM on 06/17/09
Domenic182
probably been here longer than you
User Info.
bleh
12:07 AM on 06/18/09
Trashcore
lower lifes
User Info.
just too much auto tune for me
...really? Theres autotune, yah. But it's not so much as say I See Stars, and definately not because he's a terrible vocalist. The autotune use is pretty rare. What you think is autotune on parts is probably the harmonies they lay down where he's singing it in 3 different ranges, which is a tremendous feat from a vocalist, to be able to hit the low middle and high range of a song. Kyle is an extremely talented vocalist who sounds the same live and on the album. To discredit the whole album because a COUPLE parts use autotune for effects, when 85% of the song has not a spot of autotune artifacts, I think your claim of too much autotune is a bit rediculous.

And that analysis is not from a listeners standpoint, I'm an apprentice audio engineer at Harmonie Park recording studio, and part of my lessons are to study what effects are used on vocal tracks. The autotune on their tracks is few and far between, what you're hearing is a talented vocalist who knows how to hit his ranges for an awesome effect.

EDIT: I should add, I realize Dreams is riddled with autotune. So don't bring up that song.
01:48 AM on 06/18/09
Kyleisraddd
I win.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw this band open for I See Stars in March. They really do sound the same live as they sound on the album. It's fantastic.
04:53 AM on 06/18/09
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
They're alright.
05:41 AM on 06/18/09
fashionshowdown
You're so money baby!
User Info.
When lyrics change the way you view life...don't you think that you'd give them a 10? This EP is incredible. WCAR sings of love, and the act with love in mind, they are really like that in person too, don't you think the world needs more of that?
05:41 AM on 06/18/09
fashionshowdown
You're so money baby!
User Info.
...really? Theres autotune, yah. But it's not so much as say I See Stars, and definately not because he's a terrible vocalist. The autotune use is pretty rare. What you think is autotune on parts is probably the harmonies they lay down where he's singing it in 3 different ranges, which is a tremendous feat from a vocalist, to be able to hit the low middle and high range of a song. Kyle is an extremely talented vocalist who sounds the same live and on the album. To discredit the whole album because a COUPLE parts use autotune for effects, when 85% of the song has not a spot of autotune artifacts, I think your claim of too much autotune is a bit rediculous.

And that analysis is not from a listeners standpoint, I'm an apprentice audio engineer at Harmonie Park recording studio, and part of my lessons are to study what effects are used on vocal tracks. The autotune on their tracks is few and far between, what you're hearing is a talented vocalist who knows how to hit his ranges for an awesome effect.

EDIT: I should add, I realize Dreams is riddled with autotune. So don't bring up that song.
Agreed, Kyle is freaking amazing live, he doesn't miss a beat. Even on "Dreams" with the aforementioned autotune, he holds it down quite well.
06:22 AM on 06/18/09
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
I love this EP but Im pretty sure this is like the 3rd user review Ive seen for it
06:33 AM on 06/18/09
fashionshowdown
You're so money baby!
User Info.
To each his own but if you really think this band has mind blowing lyrics all I can say is you should expand your musical tastes.When you give something a 10 that means its perfect so you are saying they have perfect lyrics.

Here are some bands with better lyrics you should check out Thursday, Cursive, Bright Eyes, Modest Mouse, Manchester Orchestra, and Clipse
I have Manchester Orchestra's first CD, Thursday's entire catalog. Never got too into Cursive or Bright Eyes. Believe it or not I have range in my musical taste, apparently I don't come off that way, so I need to work on that, thanks for the constructive criticism.
06:36 AM on 06/18/09
fashionshowdown
You're so money baby!
User Info.
I love this EP but Im pretty sure this is like the 3rd user review Ive seen for it
it is... I took forever to get mine posted, my goal now is to find stuff that I enjoy that hasn't been reviewed (which is tough, there are so many reviews on here!)
07:16 AM on 06/18/09
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
it is... I took forever to get mine posted, my goal now is to find stuff that I enjoy that hasn't been reviewed (which is tough, there are so many reviews on here!)
Surprisingly I dont think anyone has reviewed either The Devil wears Prada first album, or A Day To Remembers For Those Who Have Heart
07:16 AM on 06/18/09
ninthandash
ninthandash.com
User Info.
The autotune on their tracks is few and far between, what you're hearing is a talented vocalist who knows how to hit his ranges for an awesome effect.

clearly you haven't seen them live then.

before this EP, I would encourage you to listen to their studio music then understand that their producer pretty much saved them.
07:17 AM on 06/18/09
TheArdentLove
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
When lyrics change the way you view life...don't you think that you'd give them a 10? This EP is incredible. WCAR sings of love, and the act with love in mind, they are really like that in person too, don't you think the world needs more of that?
Because We Came As Romans is the only band who sings about love.
07:24 AM on 06/18/09
fashionshowdown
You're so money baby!
User Info.
Surprisingly I dont think anyone has reviewed either The Devil wears Prada first album, or A Day To Remembers For Those Who Have Heart
No I don't think they have. I have to re-submit a review I did for Home Grown's "Kings of Pop" , that's a 7 year old album. If they are any others you'd like to see reviewed, PM me, I'd be happy to. Writing helps ease my mind when I can't fall asleep.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums