Album Review

Dead Poetic - Vices Album Cover

Dead Poetic - Vices

Reviewed by
Dead Poetic – Vices
Release Date: October 31, 2006
Record Label: Tooth & Nail

Maynard James Keenan would be proud.

Being the new millennium and all, alternative music of today has strayed from the place of where alternative music came from in the early 90s. Bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Tool stood as monuments for how rock and roll would be angrier and more personal, intuitive and unabbreviated. On Vices, Dead Poetic have certainly bottled that charisma and whittled away any form of screamo critics thought they were. Capturing themes of—you guessed it—vices, the lyrical development of Vices strains through sexuality, pride, vanity and ultimately redemption.

With a solid two years between New Medicines and Vices, Dead Poetic toured like a machine. And perhaps that intensity on perseverance weathered the change in intensity on Vices. For those looking to fill their desires for another scream-sing album, you're not going to find it here. A shallow reach into the past and Dead Poetic have showcased the elements at for which what made rock and roll "rock n' roll' 10-15 years ago.

Dead Poetic, formed by Jesse Sprinkle (drums), Zach Miles (guitar), Brandon Rike (vocals), Dusty Redmon (guitar) and John Brehm (bass), have served a third album that is aptly named and the nostalgia comes piping hot. Starting off the album is "Cannibal vs. Cunning," a ripping alternative anthem that sets the tone for the first half of the album. Following are songs like "Narcotic" and "Long Forgotten" that follow a similar format but catch attention through angered vocals matched with emotional guitars. Percussions stay relatively on beat and only accent the veracity and antique rock sounds.

“Sinless City” may be the transitory track where the consistency of the album's intensity is murmured. and consequently the vibe of the album turns to a more modern style of alternative rock; accessible and neatly packed to radio play. The guitars draw in a warmer climate, while the integrity of their rock sound remains. Rike’s vocals are calm at the right points and more controlled at the heavier points. The most unfitting and generally intermissional track is “Paralytic.” Percussionless, with a single guitar acting as pacifying breeze to proliferating vocals. Being the shortest song on the album (clocking in under three minutes), it neither distracts nor misleads the collectivity of songs.The title track proves to be the stamp on this envelope as it sends the album into redemption. This song bleeds for attention, as Rike calls out: “I’ve got Vices like any other man / Vices that you’re not used to / Vices that’ll make you think less of me.”
Assuming that family work well together, drummer Jesse Sprinkle and producer Aaron Sprinkle gathered the rest of the band together to wrap the collectivity of songs carefully. Aaron didn't only bring stellar direction for the band but also a veteran to the game. The honesty of the album shines through when the group brought in legendary Chino Moreno (Deftones, Team Sleep) to help with the writing process (most notably on "Paralytic" and "Crashing Down" where Chino also supplies his vocals).

All things aside, how does the album stand up? While resurrecting familiar alt-rock sounds, especially on rhythm guitar, and a vibrant variety of vocal range, Vices doesn’t sharpen the blade of alternative music. No tracks protrude as extraordinary or easily addictive. With that said, the album is not a failure by any means. Is New Medicines better/worse? There’s no comparison. Both albums showcase completely different motives. Although Vices may have a hold on some, odds are the album won't hold together strong enough in the tests of time.
This review is a user submitted review from Gabe Gross. You can see all of Gabe Gross's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
08:01 AM on 10/23/06
turbonium
Registered Gangsta
User Info.
yeah. it isn't their sophmore album.

but good try :P

not to mention they didn't tour like at all in the last year... i think they did only like 40 shows.
08:14 AM on 10/23/06
Web250
What!? A new avatar?
User Info.
Not their sophmore effort, Four Wall Blackmail --> New Medicines --> Vices
08:16 AM on 10/23/06
J to the Osh
User Info.
i have to disagree. i really like what i've heard so far.. i mean dusty redmond (ex beloved) plays guitar for them. just because they don't scream that shouldnt mean it isnt intense. GAD made the most instense album this year without one scream..
08:18 AM on 10/23/06
a_sk8r
Matt
User Info.
i'll have to agree with you guys
08:19 AM on 10/23/06
petey536
peace
User Info.
ouch, i probably wont be buying this one after all
08:21 AM on 10/23/06
neo506
Ten Stories
User Info.
Actually I think Maynard James Keenan would be pretty embarrassed. That said, the record is better than I expected with the "nu" sound, though Id say a score in the low 60's is about right.
08:28 AM on 10/23/06
turbonium
Registered Gangsta
User Info.
I have to agree with the reviewer and disagree with Josh. GAD's new album is not intense nor is pleasing the ears. I used to be the biggest GAD nerd but their new album was a huge disappointment (minus pearl station).

I haven't heard this album all the way through yet, but what I've heard has totally turned me off from them. I loved Four Wall Blackmail and New Medicines, but this isn't anything special and lacks the edge to get listeners minds into the music and sticking to their ears.
08:35 AM on 10/23/06
Hidenothing27
User Info.
I was pleasently surprised with this album. From the demos I heard I thought it was going to blow but the second half of the cd is great. He has a lot of emotion in his voice and he has a strong set of pipes. His range reminds me of Gleason in how to start a fire.
08:37 AM on 10/23/06
chris1152
High fives save lives.
User Info.
How would you define "touring like a machine"?

Dead Poetic has done little to no touring over the past year, I don't know how it was before that but I do know that they haven't done enough touring to provoke such a comment.

As others have said, this is not their sophomore effort (Four Wall Blackmail + New Medicines + Vices), but good review otherwise. I think I'll still check this album out, the new songs didn't sit with me at first but they grew on me a bit.
08:39 AM on 10/23/06
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
great review gabe. i'm loving this cd so far.
as far as their records go, four wall blackmail is by far their worst.
"in coma" and "vices" are my favorite tracks so far.
08:39 AM on 10/23/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not their sophmore effort, Four Wall Blackmail --> New Medicines --> Vices
completely blanked on that album. fixed.

Actually I think Maynard James Keenan would be pretty embarrassed. That said, the record is better than I expected with the "nu" sound, though Id say a score in the low 60's is about right.
sarcasm
08:44 AM on 10/23/06
dlaug
good morning, vietnam
User Info.
"paralytic" is actually four and a half minutes and does have percussion, i believe you are actually speaking of "animals".
08:54 AM on 10/23/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"paralytic" is actually four and a half minutes and does have percussion, i believe you are actually speaking of "animals".
you know what...im glad that was brought up. tooth and nail keep sending outadvances with completely different track titles and whatnot. this has happened before. I'm going to go with what I have and how the lyrics match up with what they gave me. If they are wrong when it is officially released, I will fix it. But because Tooth and Nail has done this before. I'm not going to scramble for their mistake.
09:03 AM on 10/23/06
Pass The Flask
User Info.
i like vices a lot more than new medicines. i was never a huge fan of this band and wasn't expecting a lot, but i was kinda shocked at how good the album turned out to be.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos