AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Gaza - I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Gaza - I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die

Reviewed by: Pat Marquez (10/27/06)
I have never been that good at labeling bands and placing them into genres. I don't like when people over analyze music, I feel like they are more concerned with trying to pigeonhole the band rather then actually listening to them. Not only do most band members find that their fans are labeling them incorrectly, they agree with me that it is a waste of time to try and do so. I have always been more set on checking the band out myself. So when people ask me what any particular group sounds like, I usually compare them to another band. We all know which certain record label out there is infamous for stamping all their CD's with a sticker that clearly states - "If you are a fan of (name three other bands on their label) then you will like (name their latest release)." I must admit, that is a tiny bit irritatingto an extent. Not only is the comparison of bands usually nowhere near correct, they take up half of the album cover. However, Gaza's latest release I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die comes with a very non-evasive marking that can be found in the right corner. The stamp states - "Gaza - Terrifying and abrasive sludge / grind! For fans of Pig Destroyer, Botch and Premonitions of War." It looks like somebody over at Metal Blade was stoked on this release because I honestly can not remember the last time I saw them place something on their CD's. The best thing about this marking is that it doesn't only make me even more excited to rip this CD open and blast it through my stereo system, but it is actually extraordinarily precise.

I will spare you and myself by wasting time and trying to define how Gaza make up the characteristics of the genres of "sludge" and "grind," but what I will tell you is that this is a frightening album. Right from the beginning I knew I was going to fall in love with this release. I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die opens extravagantly with "Calf." The track is dirty and raw, the vocals are crunchy and mind numbing. The guitar work is jagged and filled with feedback which always makes things interesting. The musicianship, like the label states, is vastly redolent of Botch and Premonitions Of War. I am not positive if the listener would appreciate how closely related Gaza is with those two bands at times, but I am finding myself thoroughly enjoying this devastating release. The break downs have such a strong "sludge" feel to them it is intense, this music was not meant for the weak hearted. The vocals range from screams, to yells, to the burliest of growls. One of my biggest fascinations with the more intricate and ambiguous variations of metal is the fact that they can write, create, and perform such incomprehensible and shocking music; yet within seconds turn around and create an outro which sounds simply outstanding. To many kids that are hesitant to listen to this form of music, write it off, or don't understand itů this switch up to peacefulness and subtleness is only another curveball in the scheme of things. If you are looking for Gaza to simply throw in clean vocals and have a heart to heart conversation via lyrics, that is not what I'm getting at. Towards the end of their track "Sire" they go on for about a minute with the most melancholic tune found on the disc. It is quiet, slow, beautiful and relaxing. No vocals at all. The tranquility is not kept for long as they burst onto their next track as lead vocalist screams "Sluts Fuck Better." Keep listening to the track, you may find the Zombie noises towards the middle a little humorous. This is one of the most technical guitar tracks found through out I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die.

After everything is said in done, this is an album that I will find myself listening to and showing off to my friends over the next few weeks. Hell, I am pretty sure of this because I found myself playing Madden the other day to the pandemonium that is this album. I have this good feeling inside of me that as I scroll through my collection of CD's in the future, I will once again come across Gaza's latest release and think to myself that this is one hell of an album. I have read a few reviews where the writer was very quick to judge the band and not give them the credit that they are exceptionally deserving of. Not only did Billboard give them an average rating, I was also surprised once again because I am 99 percent sure that I saw that they had name dropped Cattle Decapitation. I am not trying to take away from the credibility of Billboard reviewing an album such as this. I have no idea what the reviewer constantly listens to and what some of his favorite bands are, but with all of this said I still have a tough time taking note to what they do have to say about this particular genre. I can't name one single kid that goes to Billboard for a review of anything regarding a metal band. Gaza's I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die is way above average, and certainly a vicious album. Just because "mainstream" music media outlets such as Billboard may disagree with my opinion of the band, or they just flat out not understand what Gaza is all about, is by no means a good excuse not to check out this album.

CreditsEditor : Jaime Durante

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23.
11:15 PM on 10/27/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
You are officially a reviewing machine.
12:19 AM on 10/28/06
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
Wow. Amazing review.
10:25 AM on 10/28/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
You are officially a reviewing machine.
Thanks.
10:25 AM on 10/28/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Thank you.
11:41 AM on 10/28/06
btbam > you
IT'S TIME!
User Info.
i really want to hear this record.
12:14 PM on 10/28/06
Romancebled
Sleep underground tonight...
User Info.
very nice review. this cd is one of the most intense cds i've heard all year.
01:39 PM on 10/28/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
very nice review. this cd is one of the most intense cds i've heard all year.
Fucking killer, I love it so much.
01:39 PM on 10/28/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
i really want to hear this record.
Yeah, check it for sure bro.
01:47 PM on 10/28/06
FASSWcore
under lock and key
User Info.
great review.. i was listening to this cd last night in my car, and this girl said "change this crap, i want some good metal." if it was up to me, she'd be dead on the side of the road right now.
03:15 PM on 10/28/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Amazing review Pat.
04:59 PM on 10/28/06
Allular
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I used to play bass in Gaza for a bit.. the zombie thing is a loop we recorded on a BOSS Loopstation with Casey hitting his hi hat closed over and over again and Jon basically mumbling like an idiot at a practice. We created a bunch of these kinds of loops but that one was the only one that stayed for "Slutmaker". Other loops were really pretty (like American Football) and had comments like "Nice Hot Topic Credit Card" and "I like your skull and crossbones purse". Good times.
09:17 PM on 10/28/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
I used to play bass in Gaza for a bit.. the zombie thing is a loop we recorded on a BOSS Loopstation with Casey hitting his hi hat closed over and over again and Jon basically mumbling like an idiot at a practice. We created a bunch of these kinds of loops but that one was the only one that stayed for "Slutmaker". Other loops were really pretty (like American Football) and had comments like "Nice Hot Topic Credit Card" and "I like your skull and crossbones purse". Good times.
Haha that is awesome.
09:18 PM on 10/28/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Thanks bro!
01:10 AM on 10/29/06
Allular
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Trust me, we were all laughing way too hard when we were making those. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests