AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
We Are Only Fiction - Out From the Cave Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

We Are Only Fiction - Out From the Cave

Reviewed by: Kbm600 (06/29/09)
We Are Only Fiction - Out From the Cave
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: May 5, 2009

"Like a soul leaves a body/ I left with everything."

Truer words were never spoken by We Are Only Fiction, as they have come Out From The Cave, and for the most part, it is an extremely positive change of position. The seven song EP begins its odyssey through your headphones with catchy guitars and vocals that are reminiscent of earlier Moneen. These elements make "Finally Me" the perfect opening to the songs that follow.

While "Red Pill, Blue Pill" sounds like a tune that could have been included on Boys Night Out's Trainwreck, We Are Only Fiction seem to find themselves comfortable in their tried-and-true blend of poppy vocals and a summer-drive feeling in the music.

The Georgia boys' songs do suffer from a bit of deja vu however, given that by the time "Cities In Shadows" finishes its way through your ears, you'll have sworn you've heard several of these songs recorded by other bands before. It's unfortunate, as there is nothing truly wrong with what We Are Only Fiction is doing; it's just simply that the formula that has been overdone and used far too often by now.

Don't let that stop you experiencing the great moments the EP has to offer. "The New Script" has guitars that beg the windows to be down and a chorus that begs to be sung along to as vocalist Travis Hill belts out lyrics that echo feelings of wanting to escape: "Just weeks away / from getting out of this place / and maybe I'll burn in front of you / so you can put that smile in your face."

The EP ends on an appropriate note with "Sleepers," an acoustic hit that intends to call out every single person that We Are Only Fiction deem to be in the wrong. Hill does his job well singing his accusations with conviction: "I can see all the sinners making all the money / putting this country on the line / and I can see the media making everybody insecure and conscious all the time."

Out From The Cave isn't the next Ocean Avenue or a summer mega-hit, but the best part about the EP is that it doesn't spend its time trying to be. Guitarists and brothers Tyler and Travis Hill play their hearts out to lyrics that echo desperation of getting out of towns and leaving problems behind, topics that are easily sympathized with and related to. The summer has always been that time to escape and sing along while doing so, and We Are Only Fiction is a great band to do it with.

Recommended If You LikeThe Dangerous Summer, The Dropout Year, Summer

Myspacewww.myspace.come/weareonlyfiction

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
04:47 AM on 07/04/09
Bruycker
User Info.
Damn I remember listening to this guys long ago.

They changed a lot, like it at first listen.
09:03 AM on 07/04/09
TRCAustin
Austin
User Info.
LOOOOOOOOVE these guys. super good music, super good dudes.

listen to it.
08:42 AM on 07/05/09
raychull
I've Been Forgotten & So Have You
User Info.
=D great review for a good cd.
08:56 AM on 07/05/09
untitled94
User Info.
awesome guys & band
11:45 AM on 07/05/09
Nigel Tufnel