Album Review

Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue Album Cover

Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue

Reviewed by
Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue
Record Label: Warp Records
Release Date: June 22nd, 2009

Goddammit does Blogspot have sway.

Or rather their users. Albums just released or soon-to-be with "indie" potential are quickly finding themselves an eager, unpaid advertising agency. Well, advertising that offers the album for free to every internet fiend with WinRar and enough savvy to find their way through the endless array of hip titles and genre-specific collections. In any case, bands like Wavves, City Center, Real Estate, Crocodiles and more recently Bibio have received an extra boost from a little bit of blog-based file-sharing. Stephen Wilkinson, under the guise of Bibio, released his sixth album a week ago entitled Ambivalence Avenue. Good news: it is not quintessential 2009, i.e. lo-fi, meandering, overrated. Using "found sounds", talent behind the production board, mellow vocals, and gorgeous guitar lines (see "Haikuesque (When She Laughs)"), Bibio stands out, thankfully, among an underwhelming spew of misanthropic garage bands.

It's interesting that I find a widely electronic-based album any more than just decent. Not much has been done outside of the delay and reverb departments in terms of innovation in quite some time. Songs here like "Sugarette" are no exception, but Ambivalence Avenue makes it a point to show that it is willing to try anything once, or twice if it works. The aforementioned "Haikuesque...", which is all at once stunning and poignant and utterly perfect, is soon followed by "Lovers' Carvings". Both are in the very same vein -- that is: largely guitar based...and a tune that'll get stuck in your head for hours to come. A maraca, a Florida beach of a guitar line, and handclaps all ring the latter through with uncomparable charm and euphony. "S'Vive" comes in shortly thereafter, following the snoozer "Abrasion", and is a remarkable collage of electronic chimes, swelling flourishes, and arrangements of glitched vocals. In short, this is an album that deserves whatever sudden shove into the indie spotlight it has since received. It is spontanious without needing medication, disparate without resigning pre-established classification, and is passionate about the plausible -- not the pitiful. Somehow it doesn't fit between Bear vs. Shark and Big Black on my iTunes, but somehow it does.

If you were to record the spirit of some Dutch town, this is what I imagine it would sound like, this is how I could see that recording coming together. Closer "Dwrcan" is abrasive and almost beatless in its spitting and churning compostion, but it makes sense, it is distinctly human. This is an impression I get all along the way with Ambivalence Avenue. "When she laughs/The piano in the hall/Plays a quiet note," is a line I can fucking feel. Maybe it's the way it is vocalized, or maybe I'm at the point in my life where I can appreciate the sound of a girl, a love, laughing. Either way, I can rest assured that music can still affect me, can still twist my lungs in to a breathless clump of muscle and meaningless utterances. I know what an ambivalent avenue is! -- it's every goddamn street I've ever lived on: ants below my balcony saying one thing but thinking another, moving but motionless, unsure one minute of where they are and what they're doing...It's so easy to observe everything from above, and that's certainly a feeling I can hear expressed through Bibio's newest. We've all lived on this avenue, why not listen to a record dedicated to it?

Get a Closer LookBibio @ Myspace.com

This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
01:59 PM on 07/07/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Great job with this Scott, this album is great.
03:00 PM on 07/07/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Great job with this Scott, this album is great.
This is good music. And I LOVE your avatar.
03:13 PM on 07/07/09
Blakebear
User Info.
Good stuff.
07:34 PM on 07/07/09
ninetyFhOURs
I love WCW. Not fuckin' wrestling.
User Info.
deserving of more than 80%...nonetheless, i'm very happy to see this album reviewed on here

"haikuesque" and "sugarette" is my favorite 1-2 punch of the year, so far

is it just me, but does he somehow infuse folk into his sample/electronica songs? its amazing
08:51 PM on 07/07/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
This is good music. And I LOVE your avatar.
Your avatar is pretty fucking cool too if I do say so myself.
02:25 AM on 07/08/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Great review. I really enjoyed this album. More than even his last, which I felt was brilliant as well. Now to hunt down a physical copy...
09:48 AM on 07/08/09
IcedOpethBlind
User Info.
he's released 2 of the better albums this year...
11:33 AM on 07/08/09
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
I love this album. Its one of the better ones I heard this year. Great review Scott!
11:59 AM on 07/08/09
liar23
Yo
User Info.
such a great album. great review
12:49 PM on 07/08/09
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
User Info.
Nice to see this reviewed here.
02:02 PM on 07/08/09
Samc1803
NO WORMS ON THE BED.
User Info.
Your avatar is pretty fucking cool too if I do say so myself.
What album is your avatar? I recognize the picture, but cannot remember the name.
03:44 PM on 07/08/09
peterock
User Info.
bibio rulez
05:37 PM on 07/08/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
What album is your avatar? I recognize the picture, but cannot remember the name.
As Tall As Lions upcoming album, You Can't Take It With You
12:41 PM on 07/09/09
Cuddleworthy
▲▲▲▲▲
User Info.
didn't expect to see this here. i'd say it's better than 80%

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles