AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Against All Authority - The Restoration of Chaos &... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.25
Production 6.75
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6
Production 6
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7
Average: 67%
Inside AP.net

Against All Authority - The Restoration of Chaos &...

Reviewed by: Brandon Allin (11/16/06)
Against All Authority - The Restoration of Chaos and Order
Release Date: May 9th, 2006
Record Label: Hopeless Records

As conventional and unimaginative as equations often are, redundancy is by no means a sin, and while repetition may not stand a frontrunner in the art of innovation, a triumphant recipe is worthy of commendation alike any other. In the case of Miami, Florida's acclaimed, politically-charged, non-conformist quartet, Against All Authority, duplication has served as a beneficial election, and ultimately advantageous for the outfit's developing, subversive success. Factually, while the troupe's latest reiteration, aptly-titled The Restoration of Chaos and Order, may not attain a commercial fortune, Against All Authority have opted to remain undeflowered, and in truth, while that very determination may be unwise from a marketing perspective, the camp's devotion is admirable.

Yet, while the lot's newest wrinkle is far from inventive, The Restoration of Chaos and Order is bound to gratify the act's pre-existent fan base, and for that may devotees count themselves as relieved. Still, as satisfying as another page in a familiar book may be, I for one refuse to conceal my assumption that a tad bit of incongruity surely would not have injured the clique's meritable reputation. With the appetite for even the most insubstantial experimentation, and in turn, detectably diverse framework, Against All Authority may very well stumble upon the ingredients resolved for brewing economic fulfillment, despite it's controversial desirability. However, regardless of one's lust, the album's framework has been yielded, and facts hold considerably higher significance than petty daydreams.

With a precisely-situated, albeit customary, quote from our highly-controversial "leader," George Walker Bush, to initiate the show, what exactly is one predisposed to anticipate from Against All Authority's contemporary work? While it's doubtful we will uncover additional selective statements from our argumentive president, as envisaged, you will detect breakneck, legislature-themed punk-rock rebuttals in ample supply. On "Sweet Televised Destruction," the album's second offering, audiences will recapture lead vocalist, Danny Lore's, grainy, yet appropriate, approach, and truthfully, while the kingpin's appearance is far from indistinct, his procedure is compulsory. On "All Ages Show Tonight," the following attempt, Against All Authority do very little to diversify their prescription, as the track itself dawns laced with distorted guitars, coarse vocals, airing bass lines, and rank-ridden lyrical content. From a columnist's angle, while the combo's lyrics are nowhere near the level of thought-provoking, in comparison to their subordinates, they're nearly as far from atrocious, though lines including "just another punk alone in the city" can certaintly be spared. On "Radio Waves," the Miami quartet draw more visibily from The Suicide Machines, rather than associated mates-of-state, Less Than Jake. The track, a ska-centered number, is charmingly interweaved and bound with argent brass arrangements, all of which materialize courtesy of recently-departed trumpeter Alan Veronese.

As the album progresses, and our optimistic expectations for meager divergence are abolished, we find "Shut It Down," the record's seventh composition. While adolescent listeners, whose fists squander more hours in the air than anywhere else, may refer to the one-dimensional, punk-rock anthem as defectless, I endorse the notion that we remove a leaf from the group's crys and "shut this fucker down." Fortunately, while the release's midway locas was rather unrewarding, with their succeeding opportunity, Against All Authority serve a bulky order of redemption on "Sunshine Fist Magnet," a ska-tinged, punk hymn characterized by strategically-hitched gang vocals, turbulent harmonies, and a bristly rhythm section. On "Grinding My Life Away," the clot reminisces with a lump of early-90's punk outfits, though the piece is most notably suggestive of battle-scarred acts Suicidal Tendencies and The Vandals. Truthfully, while the structures found on The Restoration of Chaos and Order are eerily nostalgic of the sum's predecessors, and the numbers never administrate much in terms of headway, Againt All Authority's endeavors, though quite feeble, are rather pleasant.

Unfortunately, pleasant is about the only compliment the veteran act's congregation will be able to muster. While The Restoration of Chaos and Order is no less than a boisterous, exasperated, and delightful album, from a critical standpoint, it's difficult to bestow full-scale acclaim. To be blunt, while I will gracefully dispense minor applause for the cluster's latest delivery, it's too counterfactual to disregard the broad field aching for variation, and though Against All Authority will assuredly maintain a fixed seat in the hearts of loyal addicts, I for one will refrain from adducing the Florida-based musicians anymore than middle-ground. But, as the risk of being too "verbose," allow me to dumb this down; The Restoration of Chaos and Order restores nothing more than intermediate artistry.

For Fans OfThe Suicide Machines, Rancid, Suicidal Tendencies, The Vandals, and Less Than Jake
Listen to Against All AuthorityArtist Profile | Official Website | Hopeless Records | MySpace | purevolume

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16.
11:00 AM on 11/16/06
Allin11
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
there's a few solid punk tunes on here.. but it's really nothing that solid in comparison. but cool review pal, see ya soon.
09:55 PM on 11/16/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Shit you are a reviewing machine...very good review. Sweet album art, too.
07:50 AM on 11/17/06
Brandon Allin
Rented World
User Info.
Shit you are a reviewing machine...very good review. Sweet album art, too.
The fact that they're riding in a flying elephant makes it an instant masterpiece.
07:51 AM on 11/17/06
Nap
User Info.
a big deception for me
a few good songs
11:26 AM on 11/17/06
perrone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yea not their best work

a little late on this one too
12:27 PM on 11/17/06
Rxbandit22
1,2,3 skank
User Info.
Man, this cd is by far an instant classic.
I love every single song off this cd.
Even though it's really repeptitive, it's good, and what's wrong with good repetition?
06:24 PM on 11/17/06
TheHeretic
User Info.
you are an amazing writer, really good. Sometimes I just read reviews for the writing haha, not for the band.
08:31 PM on 11/17/06
Brandon Allin
Rented World
User Info.
you are an amazing writer, really good. Sometimes I just read reviews for the writing haha, not for the band.
Thank you very much.
08:31 PM on 11/17/06
Brandon Allin
Rented World
User Info.
yea not their best work

a little late on this one too
I've always stood by the thought that it's better late than never.
10:25 AM on 11/18/06
davez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would tend to identify with your subjective judgments of the compact disc exhibited by the tepid score evaluation but might I impart or suggest that the usage of an extended vocabulary normally deviating from the mean might detract from the overall conclusions and depictions of the record you're wishing to convey to the reader of this article. You obviously have a plethora and eloguent abundance of diction to utilize vis a vis your writing expressions and modalities. But come on homo sapien, this is a record review, not a thesis!
11:01 AM on 11/18/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I would tend to identify with your subjective judgments of the compact disc exhibited by the tepid score evaluation but might I impart or suggest that the usage of an extended vocabulary normally deviating from the mean might detract from the overall conclusions and depictions of the record you're wishing to convey to the reader of this article. You obviously have a plethora and eloguent abundance of diction to utilize vis a vis your writing expressions and modalities. But come on homo sapien, this is a record review, not a thesis!
Haha, this was funny - I don't agree with you per se, but I appreciate the humor :)
06:30 PM on 11/18/06
Brandon Allin
Rented World
User Info.
I enjoyed your response, as well. I know I'm far too "verbose" on certain occasions, and perhaps even for my own good, but I have very descriptive style, and in my opinion, extensive description is a far more superior than the exact opposite.
04:23 PM on 11/20/06
davez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I enjoyed your response, as well. I know I'm far too "verbose" on certain occasions, and perhaps even for my own good, but I have very descriptive style, and in my opinion, extensive description is a far more superior than the exact opposite.

it's all good!
12:59 AM on 06/22/07
Devilock97
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Decent record, but will never come close to the greatness that was "24-Hour Roadside Resistance."
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests