AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cancer Bats - Birthing The Giant Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.05
Musicianship 8.05
Lyrics 8.1
Production 7.85
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7.8
Reviewer Tilt 6.35
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Cancer Bats - Birthing The Giant

Reviewed by: Pat Marquez (11/16/06)
Cancer Bats has been a band name I have heard tossed around more than once. Noticing that they have been creating a small and steady following that is only growing more and more impressive by the day, I opted to review their latest release Birthing The Giant. From the beginning, I was aware that they are a group of Canadians that have created a reputation for their impressive and extreme live show. I have seen some of my favorite hardcore bands hype them up and many of the readers through out our forums discuss them plenty, as well. Cancer Bats has released a record that will have any fan of that southern metal and hardcore sound jumping up and down. Although it may sound redundant, Cancer Bats is a band that has some striking similarities with Every Time I Die, but it does not stop there. They have successfully instituted their own personal sound that will not leave you unsatisfied and labeling them as a “rip off.” Birthing The Giant is a legitimate and kick ass release from the boys of Canada.

Literally exploding onto the scene, Cancer Bats have climbed up the latter of bands that have been able to cross into the States and quickly make a name for themselves. Their first full-length release via Abacus Recordings, Birthing The Giant is an album that is jam-packed with rusty riffs, witty lyrics, and plenty aggression. Lead vocalist Liam Cormier’s pipes are not smooth, he has an edgy sound and the approach he takes is fantastic. It is fitting for the music, which is clearly not pristine, either. These portrayals are not negative, but instead these descriptions are fitting for what Cancer Bats are trying to accomplish, an album that is simply raw and dirty. Cormiers singing style may have a rougher sound, but his lyrics are clearly audible through out the album. His lyrics range from tales of the generation he is a part of, calling out the fakes in the industry, and the double crossers. Scott Middleton’s guitar work is straight and antagonistic riffs that will unquestionably have your palms sweaty and your heart beating faster with each second. He sets and holds the pace for the album. Cancer Bats have created Birthing The Giant in an effort to leave you with the feeling of hostility and liveliness.

“Golden Tanks,” the first track off Birthing The Giant, is a swift and fist pumping metal / hardcore song that is an excellent exhibit of what Cancer Bats capabilities. As the chorus repeats itself, the listeners will find themselves shouting the lyrics, pounding their feet and paying close attention to the sullied yet powerful break downs thanks to Scott Middleton. The standout track of this release is “Death Bros.” It begins the most forcefully and for once, the bass is perceptible much more clearly in comparison to the other songs. The riffs are primarily the same as the track progresses, but nonetheless the guitar work is strongly passionate and stirring. Another interesting observation to point out is the fact that most of the tracks clock in at about three minutes. This may come as a surprise to the listener considering the fact that most hardcore bands are notorious for writing music that may only be a minute or two in length. However, Cancer Bats are not a conventional hardcore band. The listener will not be lost in a mess of songs that all sound the same. As I finished listening the album, my immediate thoughts is that, everything felt complete. I was not left high and dry, rather I was pleased with how Cancer Bats entered, and how they finished everything as well.

After steadily listening to this album a few times throughout the night, it is more then comprehensible as to how the Bats have quite literally “exploded” across the north border and into the states forming a reputation for themselves. They have effectively created a cult following that is on the heels of the band waiting to see them live, and may possibly already be itching to hear something new. Birthing The Giant is a nail biting gritty southern metal release that will leave the listener more than pleased.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21.
06:08 PM on 11/16/06
smurffuck
yes!!
User Info.
lets do thissssss
09:31 PM on 11/16/06
FrostedFlames
User Info.
Sorry to be the grammar police, but ladder*

I will have to check out this cd.
10:32 PM on 11/16/06
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
i definitely hated their live show when i saw them.
12:10 AM on 11/17/06
Kiss Of Octopus
i'm a cunt!
User Info.
ive heard the buzz and ive been meaning to check these guys out

i guess i will now.
04:53 AM on 11/17/06
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.

i guess i will now.

agreed
06:22 AM on 11/17/06
eversoinviting
What are you supposed to put here?
User Info.

i guess i will now.
yeah me too
07:12 AM on 11/17/06
enjoy151
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great CD. Awesome live show with thick riffs and tons of energy. All really nice guys to boot. These guys are worth the buzz.
07:14 AM on 11/17/06
dark
jaymes
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw them in london ont with haste the day / it dies today / every time I die, and I will admit I was blown away by there live show. Lots of energy and this cd does not dissapoint. Its well worth checking out
09:24 AM on 11/17/06
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
nice review

I agree with that score
10:15 AM on 11/17/06
mewithcoldplay
everyday i'm hustlin'
User Info.
i definitely hated their live show when i saw them.

Agreed....they were terrible.
11:15 AM on 11/17/06
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
Agreed....they were terrible.
thank you. i'm glad someone finally agrees with me. their set was wayyyyyy too long.
01:25 PM on 11/17/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
thank you. i'm glad someone finally agrees with me. their set was wayyyyyy too long.
Where did they play where their set was "to long" ?? Correct me if I am wrong, but most bands only play about 20 mins or so...
01:54 PM on 11/17/06
gregplaysdrums
Drummer
User Info.
i have a feeling that those two posters just dont "get" this kind of music.

Great band.
08:04 PM on 11/17/06
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
Where did they play where their set was "to long" ?? Correct me if I am wrong, but most bands only play about 20 mins or so...
yeah. that's my point. 20 mins was too long. hahaha.

i have a feeling that those two posters just dont "get" this kind of music.

Great band.
no, i actually listen to a lot of "this kind of music". i just don't enjoy the band. it's fine if all of you do. it's all just opinion anyways, right?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests