Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 104.
07:33 AM on 11/17/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Wow at the raging hard on the reviewer apparently had when listening to and reviewing this album. Good thing you probably didn't check out any Aiden release after listening to this, the hang over might make you write a gushy review for them too.

But seriously, I think Brian got it right in his AP review. This band is ripping off Underoath badly (especially in the vocal department), and for the most part Underoath isn't anything special. So when you add it all together, it doesn't favor well. I like 'Feel Like Fame,' but the rest of the softer songs are generic and blah, while the screaming is ridicoulsy cookie cutter. As for the music, the mix isn't good and it's nothing worth the time.

So yea, this album is baaaaaaadddddddddddd.
07:47 AM on 11/17/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
i first heard these guys before they got signed to victory when they were good. but just take a look at there myspace page they are fuckin losers

Seriously? Their sound hasn't changed, they just were never good to begin with.

yea but seriously alternative press ripped em a new asshole, i dont think there that bad though, the songs they remade aren't as good as the old ones though

I find it funny people are calling out that AP review based on the previous covers. The dude who wrote the review is only a contributer for the magazine (and is actually the review editor at punknews). It's not like most of the reviewers there have a say in the covers (which are mainly for sales) and most of the high scores given to crappy albums are written by actual AP staff. Hmm, makes you wonder sometimes.
01:38 PM on 11/17/06
rockcore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
that ap review was pure shit. in that same issue they made scars of tomorrow sound like the next norma jean, which i think most of us will agree is also pure shit. i refuse to take that publication seriously anymore.

at first i was so-so on this album, but the more i listened to it the more i liked it. i love that the cd is so pop catchy, but their live performance is hardcore enough to incite huge pits.

as for the reviews that keep on comparing it to 'only chasing safety' era underoath, i understand why, but i disagree. the technique maybe the same, but the attitude and approach are totally different. i like underoath, but they're pretty depressing. four letter lie love making music that makes them feel happy, and you can hear that.
03:44 PM on 11/17/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
that ap review was pure shit. in that same issue they made scars of tomorrow sound like the next norma jean, which i think most of us will agree is also pure shit. i refuse to take that publication seriously anymore.

at first i was so-so on this album, but the more i listened to it the more i liked it. i love that the cd is so pop catchy, but their live performance is hardcore enough to incite huge pits.

as for the reviews that keep on comparing it to 'only chasing safety' era underoath, i understand why, but i disagree. the technique maybe the same, but the attitude and approach are totally different. i like underoath, but they're pretty depressing. four letter lie love making music that makes them feel happy, and you can hear that.

You forget that there's a wide range of staff members and contributors writing the content for that magazine. So you're gonna have a mix of people, like people that like FOB with true punks and metalheads and fans of the scene, etc.
04:02 PM on 11/17/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
You forget that there's a wide range of staff members and contributors writing the content for that magazine. So you're gonna have a mix of people, like people that like FOB with true punks and metalheads and fans of the scene, etc.
Apparently the guy that wrote the revew for Four Letter Lie at Alt Press is in LOVE w/ ska. Right there, he has a bias. AND AGAIN he did not do his reserch and he cited Brian Nagan as the clean vocalist for Four Letter Lie. CLEARLY, the guy did not go into the review with no bias' ... he heard what some kids were saying, took it, and ran with it.

They should let me write ska reviews here, because they would ALL be negative. I don't like the genre.
07:46 PM on 11/17/06
mjdguitar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the most frustrating part of this entire ordeal is that all of the reviews are either making this album sound like the biggest pile of shit on the planet or their sucking it's monster-sized whale penis...

where's the honesty? who really listened to the album? who's buddy-buddy with the band and who has some un-needed grudge against them?

i think these are the factors that are important when we're reading these reviews. the plain truth about this album is that even though there are some good points all in all it's very dissapointing. For anyone who knows anything about this band they would be just as disgusted as the rest of us by just the overall terrible sound of this record. Not that the songwriting is entirely bad...but the record sonically just sounds like shit. On their EP they had the songs 'The Ordinary Life' and 'Let's Call It A Night' (which is now re-titled 'Baby, You're My Bad Habit)...they re-did these songs and it's truly a shame that these new versions are the ways that these songs will be remembered. They just sound washed out and dull. Whoever mixed and mastered this thing must've been really forced to finish it quickly as it's clear that it is very poorly done. Anyone with an ear can agree with that. The instruments lack everything needed in a screamo/metal record...or whatever you want to call this thing.

and as far as the underoath comparisons...if you really want to say that they're not blatantly ripping off that band then take a second, put on this record to the 2nd track, and try to tell me that the breakdown at the end isn't an almost exact replica of the intro to UO's 'in reguards to myself'...the heavy off beat low-note riff into a high dissinant chord thing is almost identical. not saying that UO is the first band in history to write something like this...or even that FLL is the first band to mirror the style of another band...but this shit is just crossing the line between influence and out-right fucking musical plagiarism (if there is a thing...).

"let's just take the same riff, move it up a half-step, change a beat or two, and call it our own."

I say listen to the damn thing and make your own opinion...but for anyone to sit and say that this album is refreshing or anything is just bullshit. I've been a supporter of this band for a very long time...i loved the ep...but i hate this record.
11:29 PM on 11/17/06
iamlegend85
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wow... one of the worst reviews i've ever read.... such a horrible album.. avoid at all costs
Dude shuttup you list saves the day as one of your fav albums. Go dye your hair pink, this cd is beter than anything those douchebags have done.
11:30 PM on 11/17/06
iamlegend85
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Maybe you suck at english but if you're saying true punks like fob, kill yourself.
11:52 PM on 11/17/06
CalebAndrew
User Info.
Maybe you suck at english but if you're saying true punks like fob, kill yourself.

You are a hateful person.
I feel sorry for you.
Your insecurity brings you to pick on kids in message boards.
11:54 PM on 11/17/06
You Won't Know
You're fuckin out and I'm fuckin in
User Info.
I was given the new Victory sampler at the World Championship Tour, but I had the misfortune of listening to it on the way home. While Four Letter Lie is the best of the bunch, that's saying absolutely nothing. I'm a huge fan of so many different bands in the scene, and I will give credit when credit is due. But EVERY new band Victory is putting out is essentially a joke, and its sickening.
I can't sit here and say every band I listen to is revolutionary, but I wish they would try something even a little bit different. And if its not going to be different, at least make some effort to do it better! Make it mean something... basically if you want to play screamo, play it well, don't just go through the motions.
I just don't feel anything with this band, and they just don't deserve a good review IMO.
01:29 AM on 11/18/06
thedullard
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
my opinion: i love the album, i love the band, and can overlook the fact that the newly recorded versions of "ordinary life" and "let's call it a night" sound rather no. i've seen a million more screamo/melodic hardcore/ whatever you want to call them bands that are WAY more generic than these guys. atleast they do use some technique in their riffs, and aren't heavily repetitive. basically, for some reason or another, the album hits me in a spot and i absolutely love it, generic, cookie cutter or not, i don't give a fuck. they did a great album in my opinion and i enjoy it.
04:20 AM on 11/18/06
sculpox
User Info.
I also have the promo of this one and I gotta say that i bores me to death. And i have listened to it multiple times, yes. It's nice when I want to fall asleep. Maybe there are some good points, but overall it just doesn't hold my interest.

I'd rather listen to the Endwell or Moros Eros releases who are pretty solid, though not groundbreaking, and also on Victory.

For the guy that said new Victory signings are all jokes and nothing new, go listen to Moros Eros.
www.myspace.com/moroseros
05:25 AM on 11/18/06
LOLyoureSOscene
User Info.
this is a really bad album.
06:36 AM on 11/18/06
HollywoodAbalze
doog it
User Info.
i personally like this album but i thinkt he production is very poor, the drums sound like shit and the screams are muffled... other than that its pretty good... best song is tell me about everything or let your body take over
06:37 AM on 11/18/06
rockcore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

you seem to have problem with the fact that this reviewer stood so staunchly for four letter lie that he was being bias. right now you seem to be standing so staunchly for ap reviewers that i think you're being bias. standing by a shitty commercial-drive publication that true punks wouldn't dare work for, or standing by a cd that you actually enjoyed listening to even though it isn't the best or most original thing you've ever heard? i'll take the latter please.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums