Password

Album Review

Norma Jean - The Anti Mother Album Cover

Norma Jean - The Anti Mother

Reviewed by
Norma Jean - The Anti Mother
Record Label: Solid State Records
Release Date: August 5, 2008
Let me start by saying that to this point, I've never liked Norma Jean. Their entire discography, from the Scogin era to Redeemer, never appealed to me. To me, each disc just better asserted that they were leading the pack of generic metalcore. With The Anti Mother, however, it seems like Norma Jean is trying to change all that. You know that album that kind of defines every artists career? Where they pass from their generic sound and evolve into something that's actually a bit different? Well, it seems like The Anti Mother may be just that album for Norma Jean.

Some of the tracks follow the same Redeemer sound, such as the first track "Vipers, Snakes, And Actors" and "Birth Of The Anti Mother." Even in this track though, there is a noticeable difference in vocals and instrumentation. The instrumentation doesn't seem to be as hard as the rest of the discography, but at the same time seems heavier and more textured. The rest of the tracks seem to follow a kind of Thrice-meets-metalcore sound, and they're what make the album as good as it is. The vocals are gruff but still somehow melodic, and the screams are powerful, but not extremely generic. The band seems to have ditched the breakdowns of their former release completely.

When most bands transform the way Norma Jean has, I'm completely awe-struck as to why. However, with Norma Jean, I more than accept the transformation; I welcome it. It's still in-your-face and heavy but, unlike the rest of the discography, isn't completely one-sided. Just by incorporating different vocal techniques and changing their sound up some, they've changed from staple metalcore band to something worth boasting about. Some of the tracks may be hit-or-miss, but overall this is a very solid album. Like a lot of bands that try to diversify their sound though, they're going to need a bit of time to work out the kinks.

Norma Jean has completely changed my view of them. While not doing anything revolutionary, they've somehow convinced me now that they aren't just a cookie-cutter metal band. They've risen far above my expectations and released something that I think they should definitely be proud of. I may not have enjoyed their previous releases, but The Anti Mother has found itself a place in my music collection. To say Norma Jean hasn't progressed would be blasphemy. While they may not have gone too far, they've given me great expectations for the future of their band.

Recommended if You LikeEvery Time I Die; Thrice; old Norma Jean

myspace.com/normajean

originally posted at highbeamreview.com on July 27, 2008
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
03:53 AM on 12/12/08
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Good review. I don't actually own this.
12:32 PM on 12/12/08
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
that is a really solid review. i have been a life long norma jean fan (thats what the nj in batmannj stands for) and i found this to easily be their best release with cory as the vocalist.
12:44 PM on 12/12/08
demonryu
Journalist
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I liked Redeemer quite a bit and this album is even better.
08:32 PM on 12/21/08
SaveGwenStacy
User Info.
wow. this review sucks. norma jean's bless martyr is the best album.
11:04 PM on 12/21/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Yep, the review sucks cause you have a different opinion. Your logic is absolute!
11:50 AM on 12/22/08
pillsburyjoeboy
User Info.
wow... this album blows... they have like a story of the year sound now. This album has changed them into just a generic sounding band, I have loved Norma Jean ever since they came out but I can not get into this album. They are all getting old so thats probably why they changed.... and NO Norma Jean does not need 3 guitar players... Put down the guitar Cory...
12:37 PM on 12/22/08
Klatzke
User Info.
wow... this album blows... they have like a story of the year sound now. This album has changed them into just a generic sounding band, I have loved Norma Jean ever since they came out but I can not get into this album. They are all getting old so thats probably why they changed.... and NO Norma Jean does not need 3 guitar players... Put down the guitar Cory...
Story of the year? Seriously?
06:14 PM on 01/10/09
mike'smannequin
Registered Member
User Info.
Very Disapointing Cd
12:37 PM on 01/14/09
pillsburyjoeboy
User Info.
Story of the year? Seriously?
Yes seriously. Not in the sense of story the year's hits but listen to page avenue, and then listen to this cd, and you can hear some serious similarities in guitar, and rythm.
01:21 PM on 01/14/09
Klatzke
User Info.
Yes seriously. Not in the sense of story the year's hits but listen to page avenue, and then listen to this cd, and you can hear some serious similarities in guitar, and rythm.
haha. I own page avenue, and It's probably one of my favorite albums. The two sound nothing alike.
12:14 AM on 06/19/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
i love your name and i love your avatar... personally, i think redeemer is their best album.... but i don't own any of them, i just listened to all the songs in order online for redeemer. I tried to with BTMKTC, but I heard some fucked up song that I hated and it killed it for me entirely.... i like robots 3 humans 0 on this and birth of the anti-mother.
12:15 AM on 06/19/09
chelseaxsmilexD
User Info.
haha. I own page avenue, and It's probably one of my favorite albums. The two sound nothing alike.
exactly... wtf is he high?
12:15 AM on 06/19/09
chelseaxsmilexD
User Info.
considering your name.... i am not surprised you think that way...
08:56 PM on 08/04/09
mike'smannequin
Registered Member
User Info.
considering your name.... i am not surprised you think that way...
im actually a big norma jean fan...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version