AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
August Burns Red - Constellations Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.33
Lyrics 8.58
Production 9.33
Creativity 8.13
Lasting Value 8.33
Reviewer Tilt 8.58
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

August Burns Red - Constellations

Reviewed by: FiveIronFlores (07/20/09)
August Burns Red - Constellations
Record Label: Solid State
Release Date: July 14, 2009

I admit I was wondering. I was hoping it could be possible, but deep down I already knew the answer. The question: How can August Burns Red create a follow up album to Messengers that would satisfy both fans and music lovers alike? The answer: they can't.

August Burns Red has a distinct sound in the metal-core genre, one filled with unrelenting breakdowns, high-speed playing, uncompromising lyrics and one of the best scream vocalists around. Messengers was such a highly acclaimed album due to the fact that they took their most amazing qualities as demonstrated on Thrill Seeker and fine tuned and focused that sound into what we have heard on Messengers. Messengers was and still is considered the best representation of everything that August Burns Red has done well up to this point.

On the first listen of Constellations, one might easily assume that this album is nothing more than a second-rate Messengers. However, August Burns Red are in a difficult spot. As many fans of quality music know, some of the greatest bands out there can barely make a living while some of the worst go on playing to huge crowds full of, "scene kids" as far as the eye can see.

Naturally, a band wants each subsequent album they create to represent growth and direction, but they still have to make money. On Constellations, we hear that sound exemplified. Songs that represent that growth are "Ocean of Apathy," with its clean guitar chords, spaced out drumming pattern, and a very interesting guitar line; "Indonesia," where we hear a singing line for the first time in ABR's history; "Meridian," a mostly instrumental song that demonstrates ABR's ability to make quiet yet dynamic music; "Meddler," and "Marianas Trench" with intentionally hooky guitar lines and face-melting solos that we always knew J.B. Brubaker had the potential to demonstrate. Lyrically, Jake Luhrs has produced a consistent and thoughtful effort as seen in songs such as "Existence," and "Thirty and Seven." As for the rest of the songs on the album, they are by no means below the standard of Messengers, which is an accomplishment to be celebrated. These songs should make ABR fans very happy, and are representations of what ABR has done best in the past without being droll repetitions.

Lastly, as far as production quality is concerned, it is their best sound yet. There is a clarity and brightness from the guitars yet to be heard in prior ABR albums. As always, the precision in the guitar playing is in no short supply. As a drummer playing subsequent blast beats after another, a clear yet controlled kick drum is essential, which is successfully accomplished on this album. When a drummer is as busy as Matt Greiner, it can easily drown out the work of bassist, Dustin Davidson. However, Davidson's bass playing comes through quite clearly and distinctly without creating a muddy sound.

So once again I pose the question: How can August Burns Red create a follow-up album to Messengers that would satisfy both fans and music lovers alike? The answer: they can't, but if any album has come closer it's August Burns Red's Constellations. Done with more care than most bands of this day, ABR has walked the fine line of celebrating the old while still striving for growth and exploring the new. They were able to produce songs that are up to the standards of Messengers for the fans and for themselves, yet they have also introduced new concepts that will foreshadow what is to come from this technically and musically proficient band. Constellations is a great album, but for those whose expectations it didn't live up to, don't lose heart. Constellations has demonstrated that August Burns Red have plenty more music to give and the best of this band is still yet to come.

Recommended If You Like Between the Buried and Me; As I Lay Dying; The Devil Wears Prada; Killswitch Engage; For the Fallen Dreams; Misery Signals; Norma Jean; Sky Eats Airplane; Underoath

Check out August Burns Red on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
01:37 AM on 07/28/09
chrossiepher
User Info.
89???!?!?!?!?!?!?!
06:31 AM on 07/28/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
oof.
07:22 AM on 07/28/09
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Wow.
08:25 AM on 07/28/09
oncedarkness
Listen to Josh Garrels
User Info.
The first few listens didn't have me overly impressed. I knew that it was a good record, but I couldn't stop comparing it to Messengers. I agree that Messengers, for what it is, is hard to top. Wall-to-wall breakdowns and nonstop intensity make it a classic in my mind. However, Constellations is a smarter record imo. The more listens I give it (including a couple today) furter solidify that opinion in my mind.
08:54 PM on 07/28/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
That is one big RIYL
01:06 AM on 07/29/09
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
Messengers Pt. 2 -

Which is not a bad thing, IMO.
09:28 AM on 07/30/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Messengers Pt. 2 -

Agreed.
03:43 PM on 08/01/09
Cheesus
nope
User Info.
sweet 1st review dude. Still have to get this album...
07:55 PM on 08/08/09
PethXrocK
Metal Man
User Info.
Messengers Pt. 2 -

this.
07:55 PM on 08/08/09
PethXrocK
Metal Man
User Info.
i think it's my favorite of the 3 (not counting their first EP)
07:49 AM on 08/09/09
JeremyYehle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really enjoy this record, personally.
03:59 PM on 08/09/09
DuckworthNC
User Info.
Great Record, Fun Listen, Good Stuff!
12:51 AM on 08/31/09
Rubbersoul87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Cheaaaaaaaaaaaa
09:27 AM on 10/14/09
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Sorry, it's nowhere near as loud and as in-your-face as Messengers was. My eardrums bled and vibrated in pain to Messengers. This just doesn't compare. I feel like ABR half-assed some of it. Don't get me wrong a few of the songs are amazing. But I just don't like it compared the good ole ABR.

Nice review though!
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums