AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The All Day Holiday - The Things We've... Album Cover

The All Day Holiday - The Things We've...

Reviewed by
All The Day Holiday - The Things We’ve Grown To Love
Record Label: Linc Star
Release Date: August 4th, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When you saw that this review was posted, the first thing that probably went through your head was, “Oh, great. Another mediocre, lame, pop punk band that does nothing to separate themselves from the ever-growing scene.” Like your mother probably always told you, don’t judge a book by it’s cover. While All The Day Holiday isn’t the greatest band name, they will probably sway your opinion of them quite quickly when it comes to music. If that wasn’t persuasive enough for you, what would you think if I told you that they are signed to the same label as Lydia before they were signed to Universal Motown?

All The Day Holiday is a four piece hailing from Cincinnati, Ohio. The band sparked a lot of interest when they self released their We’ll Be Walking On Air EP. In fact, they sparked just enough interest to get them signed by Linc Star in 2008.

So, I bet you’re wondering how the album is, and I have to say it’s nothing far from stellar. The feeling I get when listening to this band is the same feeling I got when I listened to Copeland for the very first time, although the big difference between the two, in my opinion, is that Copeland’s music is made to enhance Aaron Marsh’s vocals, in contrast to All The Day Holiday, whose music finds vocalist Daniel Simmons somehow taking the back seat, making the instrumental aspect of the band even more incredible than it already is.

The Things We’ve Grown To Love starts out with the barn burner “Autumn,” which showcases Simmons’ odd but likeable vocal style, backed by a fast paced drum beat and delayed guitars that quickly changes the pace for the chorus. The soft chorus is chased by the powerful lines of, “I promise you, we will make it out alive/ I promise you, we will see a brand new light,” where Simmons pushes his voice to the highest degree. “Real Time” follows “Autumn,” completely leaving the Copeland comparison in the dust with thundering drumming, racing vocals, and quirky electronics in the mix of things. It’s funny how a song can come from a simple statement like, “The grass is always greener on the other side,” but the guys make it work with “Greener.” This song is a prime example of what the band is fully capable of creating, going from the relaxing melodies of Simmons’ voice to a full-blown body of sound, as the band backs him as he belts out, “Get out of this trend, get out of the wind/ Run away from your reflection, it goes in one direction.” “Cities” is a personal favorite off the album, as the song carries an overall happy feeling that can pick me up from whatever is being a burden or hassle. One of the few blunders on the album is the title track itself. While it’s still a decent song, it doesn’t pick up until the latter half when Simmons breaks through a monstrous drum roll to deliver some of the smoothest and fullest croons to this day. The final highlight comes in the form of “Mountains.” This song easily could have brought the album to a close as it reprises the emotions from earlier in the album and brings them to full circle astonishingly.

The band couldn’t have stated it any better then they do in “Mountains” when they sing, “I’m so excited, I’m so excited for what’s to come.” That’s exactly how I feel about this band. They possess the talent to touch so many music fans all around the world. They have truly created something special with The Things We’ve Grown To Love, a record that bleeds emotion and optimism from such a young and promising group. While All The Day Holiday may have grown to love their surroundings and hope for a better and more self-fulfilling future, I have grown to love this album, and I dare you to try not to do the same.

Recommended If You Like Lydia; Copeland; This Day and Age; Breathtaking music

Additional LinksMyspace - Purevolume - AP.Net Profile - Purchase The Things We've Grown To Love - Amazon

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
08:09 PM on 08/20/09
GoldenDaze421
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Amazing, lovable band.
05:47 PM on 08/21/09
shimmyshakes
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I want to, but just can't get into this band. They seem like a Lydia knock-off to me.
06:21 PM on 08/21/09
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
I haven't gotten into these guys or Lydia for that matter. But I absolutely adore Deas Vail, which seems to be reasonably close to these kinds of bands. I should try some more I guess..
07:50 PM on 08/21/09
BlackpoolLights
Music Connoisseur
User Info.
"Breathtaking" is one word.

Good album.
01:31 AM on 08/22/09
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
I love this band. In the top 10 albums of the year for sure.
02:27 PM on 09/22/09
jebbbbzzzdebebz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I want to, but just can't get into this band. They seem like a Lydia knock-off to me.

oh no, not even close

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version