Album Review

The Word Alive - Empire EP Album Cover

The Word Alive - Empire EP

Reviewed by
The Word Alive - Empire EP
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: July 21, 2009
Who?

Craig Mabbitt's (Escape the Fate) former side-project and one of Fearless Records' newest signies hailing from Phoenix, Arizona. The Word Alive, Tyler Smith (lead vocal), Zack Hansen (back-up vocals and rhythm guitar), Tony Pizzuti (lead guitar and backup vocals), Nick Urlacher (bass), Dusty Riach (keyboards, piano, programming, and synths), and Tony Aguilera (drums and percussion), are a post-hardcore band sure to please any headbanger looking for a good breakdown. Combining piercing vocals and bellowing growls, The Word Alive pound away at a tried-and-true formula, bringing the listener uncomfortably close to the trials and tribulations of life.

How is it?

Pretty damn brutal. The 6-song, debut EP is a relentless journey, never letting the listener take a break from their inevitable head-banging session. Using sick breakdowns and slick synth beats, coupled with the dichotomy of the two vocalist, The Word Alive creates a debut worth noting. From the opening track, "Battle Royal," the brutality is etched in stone. If you are looking for a breather, you are not going to find one here. Track after track, The Word Alive cease to let up. The last track, "How To Build An Empire" is easily the best of the EP, with its crushing breakdowns, 80s-esq guitar solo, and honest lyrics ("These words that you're saying / They fall from your lips and I'm not even listening / We've wasted so much time / Pretending that you cared"). The EP is not without its faults: the lyrical content is repetitive (count how many times The Word Alive reference "breathing"), the production value is just average, and well, we have heard the same songs from The Devil Wears Prada. However, in the end, this is a very solid debut. The Word Alive have definitely placed themselves on a "Must Keep An Eye On" list.

Recommended If You Likepost-hardcore; The Devil Wears Prada; A Skylit Drive - Define the Great Line; turning your iPod's volume up to the max

myspace.com/thewordalive
This review is a user submitted review from Meeze. You can see all of Meeze's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
05:40 PM on 08/24/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
I wrote up a review for this as well.
Good review.
10:51 PM on 08/24/09
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
A Skylit Drive - Define the Great Line

I think Underoath's "Wires and the Concept of Breathing" should also be under the RIYL section.

In all seriousness, I do like this EP. Battle Royale is a favorite, though I prefer the demo of Casanova Rodeo over the album version.
10:52 PM on 08/24/09
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Um, I do hope you know Define The Great Line was an album by UnderOath, not A Skylit Whine. Hoping it was a typo.
11:47 PM on 08/24/09
dancelukedance
My body is a bomb
User Info.
A Skylit Drive - Define the Great Line

I think Underoath's "Wires and the Concept of Breathing" should also be under the RIYL section.

In all seriousness, I do like this EP. Battle Royale is a favorite, though I prefer the demo of Casanova Rodeo over the album version.

That would have been Craig Mabbit's version.

Decent review, i quite enjoyed the EP too

My favourite track would be battle royale
12:23 AM on 08/25/09
bjm1702
User Info.
The vocalist Tyler does not play guitar on this EP, just thought I would point that out.

Been following the band for a while and I quite like this EP.
01:35 AM on 08/25/09
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
i've never been able to get into these guys, going by my music collection i should, maybe i should try again..
02:38 AM on 08/25/09
silent_platypus
Elected Asskicker
User Info.
The vocalist Tyler does not play guitar on this EP, just thought I would point that out.

Been following the band for a while and I quite like this EP.
^This. Also, Zack does most of the leads, solos, and other guitar work you'd consider "fancy" i'm pretty sure...

I also think that they fit more closely under metalcore, but same ball park, whatever.

May I also mention that the synth work is the sickest fucking thing you will hear out of any of these bands with someone on keys?
06:05 AM on 08/25/09
2hxc4you
I hate my username so much
User Info.
Good review, I love this EP.
06:06 AM on 08/25/09
Supernovacaine
givin'er
User Info.
This EP exceeded my expectations. A good, concise review!
07:52 AM on 08/25/09
the daniel
Colors
User Info.
I think Tony P's guitaring is different than any out out there in the "scene" right now. He shreds like a beast.
08:47 AM on 08/25/09
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
Was it even relevant to note Craig Mabbitt's connection to this band?
08:49 AM on 08/25/09
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Was it even relevant to note Craig Mabbitt's connection to this band?
thought i'd throw it in there for those who were familiar with the band prior to this new lineup
08:51 AM on 08/25/09
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Um, I do hope you know Define The Great Line was an album by UnderOath, not A Skylit Whine. Hoping it was a typo.
yeah, the intention was that they sound like the band (A Skylit Drive) and they also sound like Underoath's "Define The Great Line"...i can see how that looks different. my bad.
08:52 AM on 08/25/09
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
^This. Also, Zack does most of the leads, solos, and other guitar work you'd consider "fancy" i'm pretty sure...

I also think that they fit more closely under metalcore, but same ball park, whatever.

May I also mention that the synth work is the sickest fucking thing you will hear out of any of these bands with someone on keys?
yeah i agree...the synth work is legit

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version