AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Armor For Sleep - 01.05.07

Armor For Sleep - 01.05.07

Interviewed by
Armor For Sleep - 01.05.07What can we expect with the new album? Will it be a departure from your previous work?

I think so, but I think no matter what we're going to sound like this. We're not going to come out with a record thatís a completely different style of music; youíre definitely going to be able to recognize itís us. I think the biggest difference is going to be the people that are still listening to us are used to being involved in the story of What To Do When You AreDead. Obviously it's not that record, it's going to be a completely new idea behind the record.

Why the change from Equal Vision to Sire?

Our contract with Equal Vision Records was rode out. A lot of people think either we got bought out from the label or we left before our contract was done, but our contract was up and we just wanted to make the next step. We could have stayed on Equal Vision, and I'm sure we would have made a great record, but I think for us we felt like it was time for a change.

A few years ago at a show at The Downtown Gabe Saporta came out during one of your songs. Is there a chance you'll ever collaborate with Gabe or tour with Cobra Starship?

Yeah, I mean I'd love to tour with Cobra. We talked about collaborating when he was working on the Cobra Starship album, but it never happened. Gabe, I feel like he was the first person to ever get passionate about our band and he managed us for the first year we were a band. So we definitely owe where we are to him. I would love to work on something with him in the
future, and I'm sure we will. I mean we're on the same management company and we know all the same people, and we're always around each other and heís like a brother to me basically.

Whatís your biggest inspiration when writing?

My biggest inspiration I would say is trying not to have any. I think if I get inspired by something and then sit down and write a song right after it probably wouldnít work out the way I wanted it to. People talk about it like when they have a creative burst, when you have a completely original idea that somehow pops into your head or was inspired by something, I think thatís the most important thing. I have to know when those things are happening because nothing else can influence you as much as that little burst of creativity or that little fresh idea in your head. And it's really important to get that down on paper as soon as I have it.

Do you find the stuff that motivated you when the band first started still motivates you to this day?

I definitely do. I think that when I sit down to write songs I tap into a side of my brain that I normally donít tap into. When I sit down to write a song that's the only time it comes out. I think that when I first started writing songs for Armor For Sleep when I was 17 the situations were different from the situations that I'm tapping into now, but I feel like no matter what the situations are it's coming from the same place. I feel like I was born an outsider no matter how hard I try to run away from it in real life and about the weird friends surrounding me am always beat up about it. When I sit down that's just whatís coming out, whether it's Dream To Make Believe or this next album it's going to be from that perspective.

Has the writing process been any different for the new album as opposed to when you wrote the first two?

I think the main difference is the amount of time we had. We had written like over twice as much, maybe three times as much on this cd as we did on the last one. I think you get to a point where you're like what are we going to do thatís different, that's still cool and fun. We went through a period of time where we were like we canít keep writing any more songs. I think you kind of have to go through that period to break through to the other side. I think we had a bunch of moments where we were like "we have to step up our game".

Who's producing the new album?

Ben Gross.

When can we expect the album?

People at the label are talking about it coming out maybe late spring/early summer. You know shit always changes; I wouldnít be surprised if it comes out later than that. Basically don't hold your breath.

When can we expect a song or something?

Thatís a good question. I'm not sure, maybe they'll release a single before the album, but I doubt it. I donít know, nobody really fills me in on that stuff. Right now I'm just working in the studio and I have the same questions you do.

How far along are you into the recording process?

We're about 1/3 of the way done. Basically we've tracked a bunch of songs and we took Christmas break off. We're going to come back, the rest of the band is in N.J. now and they're going to come back in a few days and then we're going to record the other ten songs for the record. So we're still really deep into it right now.

How many songs did you go into the studio with and how many will make the final cut?

We have completely written 35 songs from front to back. We're bringing about 15 into the studio to put on the record.

Do you have a title for the new album yet?

Yeah.

Can you announce it yet?

I can't say.

Aside from the tour with Taking Back Sunday and Underoath do you have any other tour plans?

We don't as of now. That's going to take us through April and we're still looking around to see what we're going to do after that.

Whatís your favorite memory of touring/recording thus far?

I guess my favorite memory of recording so far has been out here. I think that doing pre-production on the songs that we worked on so far was an amazing experience. I think Ben Gross has really helped us out with the first batch of songs that we bought into him. My favorite memory of touring is probably Bamboozle last year. I think that's the biggest show we've ever played to look out and see twenty thousand people. It's kind of ridiculous and I feel that will always be burned into my memory.

Is there any meaning behind Armor For Sleep?

Yes and no. I think the most important meaning behind the name is people are still asking that question. I think that I wanted a name that could mean a lot of different things, and I think it served its purpose because people always seem to be scratching their head at the name. Armor For Sleep to me is about trading in security in life and just not caring, and I think thatís what being in a band is. Because you open yourself to a ridiculous life and to a lot of people being able to criticize something you poured your heart and soul into. I'm not trying to whine because I feel completely lucky and amazed that I have everything in my life, but at the same time there are really hard aspects of it that it's like I chose that path. I guess thatís what the name means.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
12:18 PM on 01/15/07
zach26
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
very nice. i would to have liked to know if "the way out is broken" made it to the record though.

on an unrelated note...wheres that mxpx interview???
12:19 PM on 01/15/07
xearlynovemberx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
very nice. i would to have liked to know if "the way out is broken" made it to the record though.

haha, no idea
12:21 PM on 01/15/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
Seems like a cool guy.
12:23 PM on 01/15/07
DeuceZukes13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so are we to assume this won't be a concept album
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.

Never heard back from their camp about it. I'm going to follow up soon.
Greg
User Info.
how'd your GC intrview go?
12:24 PM on 01/15/07
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
And too bad AFS is horrendous live. Their music on CD is all right.
12:25 PM on 01/15/07
butt_code
User Info.
Awesome interview. I cant wait for the new album
12:25 PM on 01/15/07
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Good interview. I hope the record comes out sometime soon.
12:28 PM on 01/15/07
thisismyname
User Info.
There last record was deffinately solid, I hope this one gets even better.
12:32 PM on 01/15/07
ProudlyLastPlac
We Who Shall Inherit The Earth
User Info.
And too bad AFS is horrendous live. Their music on CD is all right.

I'm inclined to disagree.

I've never thought they were bad live.

The only complaint that I had, was I saw them do a headlining tour with Chiodos and Boys Night Out, and everyone came for Chiodos and just kinda stuck around for the following 2 bands. I hate it when people do that.
12:32 PM on 01/15/07
xearlynovemberx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
how'd your GC intrview go?

haha, good i hope we can get it up soon!
12:36 PM on 01/15/07
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.

I've never thought they were bad live.

The only complaint that I had, was I saw them do a headlining tour with Chiodos and Boys Night Out, and everyone came for Chiodos and just kinda stuck around for the following 2 bands. I hate it when people do that.
I saw them on that tour and they bored the shit out of me, and then they vied with Senses Fail for worst performance of Warped Tour 2006.
12:37 PM on 01/15/07
thisismyname
User Info.
Quote:

I've never thought they were bad live

I dont think they're bad live, musically they sound pretty good. But I found them to be boring, there just isnt any excitement in there live show.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos