1. How did you get your band name?
When the band first began, I was reading a book by the name of The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin. The book had heavy themes of life decisions and regrets and I thought it really fit well into how we all felt as a band at that particular moment in time. Therefore we decided to name the band after it. We also wanted people to get us confused with The Movie Life ; )
2. How did this band get started?
Nick, Judcody, and I came together about two years ago after all of our bands broke up. We were really just looking to start something small and not dedicate too much time to it. Judcody and I were already burnt out from playing in our previous band. Nick pushed the project to a point that Judcody and I finished some demos and things seem to just pick up from there.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
All of us come from different backgrounds in our taste. Probably as a band, one of our major influencers would probably be Brand New. For me personally, I take a lot of influence from bands like The Get Up Kids, Glassjaw, and Desaparecidos
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
That’s such a difficult question, but if I could pick anyone from any time it would have to be Ben Folds, Brand New, or Jeffster.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Mudkip, because he is both ground and water type. You can’t go wrong with that combination.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
I would hope, because they think we’re good. We aren’t some kind of side show with bright colors and cool sunglasses. We really try to make music that we not only like, but also music that truly means something to us. We are very appreciative of all the feedback we get from people who listen to us. To share that connection with people is amazing.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
It’s a tough chose, but I would have to say “We All Left Something Behind.” That song has nice combination of all the instruments. I may not be as difficult as “Green Hills and High Tides,” but at least it would be fun.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would most definitely thank my family, more specifically my sister, who funds a lot of the things that we do as a band. I’d also probably thank Bruce Springsteen for being the man.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
To begin with, everything. More specifically the way music is disturbed. We’re in time where the concept of an “album” is slowly dying at the hands of iTunes and singles.
10. Memorable tour experience?
One time we were driving through New Mexico. It was late at night and it was raining really hard. Not only that, we were driving through NM’s odd, out of place forest region. I was driving and I have a lot of anxieties with driving, so this drive was really rough. During my drive the song “Deathnotronic” by Reggie and the Full Effect came on. That song became the soundtrack to my death as we drove down these really steep wet roads. I seriously thought I was going to crash and kill us all. I guess the combination of screaming, techno beats, and not being able to see ten feet ahead of me got me a little freaked out. When we finally got down the mountain, I came out of the car shaking.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Everything. It is an amazing site to find whatever you need in music. The varieties of people on the site really give it such large appeal. It certainly keeps me busy when I’m writing papers for school.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
We have new song called “Falling Asleep.” I love playing that song because our guitarist Al shows off some wicked cool dance moves that always make me laugh.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Anywhere that is colder than Southern California.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Musicals and the Godzilla Soundtrack
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The ability to control time with an Ocarina. So I can save the world from that douche bag Gannon.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No way. It’s hard to have a “We made it attitude” without coming off as somewhat hubristic. I suppose it’s up to the fans to determine something like that.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I was a big theater geek in high school. Yeah, I was cool. In fact, I still am a huge theater person. If you ask me anything about musical theater or theater in general, I could talk for a long time.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving, because when it’s over, you still have another holiday to look forward to.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Reading is always fun. If not that, I play a lot of video games. Left 4 Dead or Rock Band is always good fun.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can sing the theme song to Pokemon.