AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sherwood - QU Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.54
Musicianship 8.46
Lyrics 8.21
Production 8.1
Creativity 7.71
Lasting Value 7.98
Reviewer Tilt 8.29
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net

Sherwood - QU

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (10/12/09)
Sherwood - QU
Record Label: Myspace Records
Release Date: Oct. 13, 2009

Few California bands have been as skilled at recreating the sun-drenched melodies of The Beach Boys better than San Luis Obispo's Sherwood. While their songs take on hints of pop-punk at times, the group's core is the melodic zest of guitarist Dan Koch and the sweetly harmonic vocals of frontman Nate Henry. Though the tandem are not the band's only assets (keys player Mikey Leibovich is a dynamic force, both live and in studio; and drummer Joe Greenetz is a skilled percussionist) their contributions anchor the band, allowing the quintet to craft another dazzling disc, that is most definitely their finest work to date. Whereas on prior efforts the band let Koch tackle all the songwriting, QU features collaborative help from vocalist Henry, keys player Leibovich and a few friends.

Opening with the 40-second acapella treat "Shelter," QU begins with a gentle grace that is both warm and inviting. "Maybe This Time" builds on the cheery vibe of the opener but goes even further. A surefire arena-ready anthem this is a tune with a soaring chorus, driving guitars and snappy percussion. An inspired acoustic guitar begins the unabashed pop-rock smash "Hit the Bottom," which is an undeniable must-listen and another aurally pleasing nugget from a band that may arguably be California's best pop songwriters. The blatant placement of the acoustic guitar is a point worth noting in listening to the rest of the effort. Whereas previous Sherwood discs featured copious amounts of electric guitars, QU features large doses of acoustic guitar, piano and layers of genial percussion.

An autumnal album with somber themes it is the exact record Sherwood needed to make. Four straight albums of saccharine pop goodness is pleasant and infectious, but a shift needed to be made and thankfully Sherwood did so. Though the album represents a sea change of sorts for the quintet, it does not represent a departure from their trademark pop hooks. As evidence of this, fourth track "Make It Through" is the first half's second surefire standout and features a magnetic, midtempo movement that is slightly peppy, sincere and incredibly warmhearted. "You Are" ends what is essentially the disc's first half and it's another inspired and thought-provoking piece. Buoyant and bubbly it is arguably another radio-ready chorus from a band that seems to have the formula for pop simplicity down pat.

"Ground Beneath My Feet" features a set of lines that pretty much sums up the entire album, "'I've got a funny feeling that it's my day to leave, shoulders down, the sweat drips across my cheek, as I turn I can taste the salt in the shallow sea." Though its a rehash, the song is tangible proof that lyricist Dan Koch is a first-rate wordsmith whose simple, unadorned poetry is both understated, underrated and utterly beautiful. "Around You" is another meander through midtempo territory with the guitar and piano providing a calm and cerebral tone to the disc's second half. The band picks up the pace on "What Are You Waiting For?," a cheery pop ditty thats spunky, and vigorous. Ninth track "Not Gonna Love," which appeared on a 2009 EP of the same name is a warm piano-based cut with airy vocals that is captivating and coruscate.

"Worn" is easily Sherwood's most mature recording to date. A simple, acoustic duet between Henry and singer/songwriter Molly Jenson, it's a bittersweet, barroom ballad about the suckerpunches of a failed romance, highlighted by the lines “You always come home to those empty rooms and wonder what’s left to lose, folding sheets ‘cause you can never stop.” Penultimate track "Free" is a is another full-throttle, hip-shaking anthem about clarity and is really the album's only dud. That it comes ten songs in is refreshing and not all that disappointing. Truth be told, for as pedestrian as it might be, it still beats the hell out of a lot of songs passing for pop these days.

And as the album nears finish it is at this point that the crystalline production of Brad Wood is worth applauding. The veteran producer whose had a hand in aiding the careers of Pete Yorn, Liz Phair and Smashing Pumpkins to name a few, has once again inserted his Midas touch on a band that most clearly benefitted from his instruction. Perhaps the best example of this is the stirring album closer "No Better," a sincere and contemplative look at divorce that's as rich and probing as anything released this year. Stark, candid and empathetic, "No Better," cuts to the bone and stirs the soul. Aside from "Lake Tahoe," has Sherwood ever been this poignant?

The album's only error, aside from "Free," is that three of the songs on the disc also appeared on the aforementioned Not Gonna Love EP. Granted those three songs are irresistible, but one can make the argument that the group could have easily penned three more equally irresistible pop charmers. All minor complaints aside, this disc is a dynamo. From start to finish, QU is a surefire winner, backed by sterling arrangements, Henry's finest vocal work to date and easily the most confident and polished work of their career. Equal parts cohesive, stimulating and musically stunning, QU is the sound of a band at their apex and fully realizing their potential. If this doesn't turn some heads, the music industry is truly dead inside.

Track Listing 1. Shelter
2. Maybe This Time
3. Hit the Bottom
4. Make it Through
5. You Are
6. Ground Beneath My Feet
7. Around You
8. What Are You Waiting For?
9. Not Gonna Love
10. Worn
11. Free
12. No Better

Sherwood is Nate Henry -bass/vocals
Dan Koch - lead guitar/background vocals
Mikey Leibovich - keys/percussion
Joe Greenetz - drums
Dave Provenzano - rhythm guitar

Recommended If You Like Fun's Aim and Ignite, Jackson Browne's Running on Empty, Brian Wilson's Smile, The Beatles' Norwegian Wood

Find Them Here Myspace
Official Website
AP Profile
Twitter

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 139
09:21 AM on 10/12/09
Croggs
No I will not make out with you
User Info.
88%, wow. I am excited for this. I love Sing, but Keep Going. A Different Light was pretty fun, but did not get many spins after a month or so.
09:22 AM on 10/12/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
88%, wow. I am excited for this. I love Sing, but Keep Going. A Different Light was pretty fun, but did not get many spins after a month or so.
I'm with you on a A Different Light. Pretty blah for me actually, too. This one is a huge step forward. Don't let A Different Light steer you away. Get this, now!
09:24 AM on 10/12/09
radxbandit
i don't know
User Info.
can't. wait.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you wrote a great review for this album, Greg.
09:26 AM on 10/12/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Woah, long review here...

I find this album strange. It sounds so different from ADL - to the point where it drifts away from the modern norms of pop-punk. This is not necessarily a bad thing though.
09:27 AM on 10/12/09
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
Such a vastly overrated band.
09:28 AM on 10/12/09
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
User Info.
This review is full of hyperbole. I enjoyed the album, but 88%? Really?
09:32 AM on 10/12/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Sweet review dude, thanks!
09:33 AM on 10/12/09
Skees
User Info.
This is an awesome album. I'm on board for this one.
09:33 AM on 10/12/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Whoa, didn't expect this to get such a praising review. I haven't listened yet, but now I'm definitely really looking forward to it
09:35 AM on 10/12/09
*Ro'
www.playitloudfuckers.com
User Info.
Too many references to the EP, but good review and very good album.
09:42 AM on 10/12/09
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
I absolutely love this album.
09:48 AM on 10/12/09
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
The album's good, but c'mon an 88%... Also, this band is just a tad overrated.
09:50 AM on 10/12/09
TheSkyline
www.pillowtalktn.bandcamp .com
User Info.
Cool. I saw these guys open for Copeland and they were really good. I'll be sure to check out the album!
09:51 AM on 10/12/09
cates
User Info.
I really like track 10, Free.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music