AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Five and Alive: Dripping Wax in 2009

Posted by - 11:15 AM on 11/13/09
Vinyl nerds discuss! These are my top five picks this year for the resurgence of wax. What 12", 7" or 10" records did you guys pick up this year, and won't be bringing back to sit in the used bin?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 82
11:15 AM on 11/13/09
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Five and Alive1) Thrice's The Alchemy Index Vol 1-4 --- Did this one take forever, or what? Talk about being well worth the wait. A book with each page as a sleeve, four separate colors, gold numbered, etc. Maybe Beggars is going to be signed and contains full artwork, but the packaging for the four album EP is incredible. It also didn't hurt that for some reason I received an extra copy of Vol 4: Earth with my package - my favorite Index.

2) Rx Bandits' Mandala --- One of my favorite bands returned with a stellar album, and an even more stellar vinyl release. The cover feels as smooth as the artwork, and the eye cutout on the gatefold is just the icing on the cake. Now, if I can just get a release of Progress on wax, my collection will be complete.

3) Narrows' New Distances --- Something about this cover gets me. I think it's how the cover art of glossy city streets are blended with the background, or the fact that the cover art is so good, that you kind of have to own a larger copy of it. I'm still scratching my noggin over why I love this one, but I honestly just do since the first time I picked it up.

4) Pelican/These Arms Are Snakes' Split --- Browsing eBay, there's plenty of hardcore/post-hardcore splits from back in the day containing choice bands and choice cuts. Of all the splits I have, this was one I had to own. The cover is great (working with the same glossy set-up as New Distances in fact), and the four colors came out great as well.

5) Sunny Day Real Estate's Diary (re-issue) --- I went to buy Brand New's Daisy, but ended up having to order it. I picked this one up instead, and relived what good music used to be about. The full booklet and 2xLP pink pressing is great, and mine is now signed by Jeremy Enigk and William Goldsmith.
11:20 AM on 11/13/09
YoTengoRabbi
Black Metal Jesus
User Info.
Pre-ordered Battle Studies on vinyl... impatiently waiting for it.
11:26 AM on 11/13/09
gspinn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
which ones did i get? thats a silly question... a whole lot.

favs were television - marquee moon, david bazan - curse your branches, sass dragons/the brokedowns split 7", ryan adams - easy tiger, spoon - gagagaga
11:29 AM on 11/13/09
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
I bought a lot of vinyl this year, it was my first year getting into it. So I mainly started out with a bunch of classics and now that I have most of those filled, I keep up on new releases that I like.
11:40 AM on 11/13/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
I started getting into collecting vinyl this year. So far I've picked up:

Thrice - Alchemy Index box set
Brand New - Daisy
Coheed and Cambria - No World for Tomorrow
Weatherbox - The Cosmic Drama
Say Anything - ...Is a Real Boy
Thursday - Common Existence
Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
Paramore - Riot!

I still need to pick up Mandala
11:43 AM on 11/13/09
evvandflow
full of shit and free beer
User Info.
Sunny Day Real Estate is a great edition to my collection
12:04 PM on 11/13/09
TSTLSOOM
Hayley > Hayley
User Info.
im so close to getting the green day box set for promoting a band. not a bad deal, since i like the band im promoting. also i picked up blinks enema and buddah
12:05 PM on 11/13/09
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Awesome collection. I'm anxiously awaiting my copies of Blink 182's Enema of the State and Coverge's Axe to Fall to arrive.
12:24 PM on 11/13/09
AmIWrong
Mickey is Sexy
User Info.
Fun - Aim & Ignite
New Found Glory - Not Without a Fight

Besides that I have just been picking up some of my older favorites.
Alkaline Trio - Godamnit
Alkaline Trio - From Here to the Infirmary
Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile
Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About
Minus the Bear - Acoustics
Fall Out Boy - Evening Out With Your Girlfriend
12:28 PM on 11/13/09
TheMike_orcycle
Daytrader
User Info.
Just got Cheshire Cat on vinyl. The one with the red eyes. I'm freakin' out.
12:28 PM on 11/13/09
katiebaima
last.fm/user/humhallelujah
User Info.
new junk aesthetic.
12:29 PM on 11/13/09
CaryGrant
The Romantic Egoist
User Info.
Normally my hipster-tool instincts would suggest contempt for so many new people getting into vinyl, but I'm really loving all the new people getting into it because it's making a lot more records available and it's fun sharing love of the format with others. I'd say these have been my favorite releases on vinyl of the year:
1) Minus the Bear - Acoustics
So crisp, so beautifully done, and with a really great tracklist. The baby blue/cream swirl is gorgeous, too.
2) As Tall As Lions - You Can't Take It With You
Great album, and the vinyl had a bunch of great bonus tracks. Picked mine up at their in-store acoustic set at Rasputin, so they signed my copy (along with my self-titled and Into The Flood) to me and my now-fiancee.
3) Discovery - LP
Just a really fun record. It has its ups and downs but it's a great party album to throw onto the turntable.
4) Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
180 gram double-LP with gorgeous artwork, and you can really feel the warmth on this record. This was actually a birthday present for my fiancee.
5) Matt & Kim - Grand
Albums like this one just work so well as a cohesive work, I think someone is robbing themselves of an experience when they just play at track or two from it. Definitely the pair's best.
12:35 PM on 11/13/09
marky2468
boomboom
User Info.
the Last Lights record packaging is incredible!
the wonder years-distances.
polar bear club chasing hamburg
the swellers- welcome back riders
fireworks- AIHTOIMOC
have heart the things we carry

way too much moreeee
12:35 PM on 11/13/09
spartanfan10
User Info.
New Distances kicks ass, so glad you're repping it. Axe to Fall on vinyl is absolutely disgustingly awesome. I was very stoked to pick up Wilco - Summerteeth and The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About in terms of older stuff. Expecting the Kevin Devine - Brother's Blood vinyl to be badass. Though I didn't love the album, the art for Portugal. the Man - The Satanic Satanist is superb.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos