I bought a lot of vinyl this year, it was my first year getting into it. So I mainly started out with a bunch of classics and now that I have most of those filled, I keep up on new releases that I like.
I started getting into collecting vinyl this year. So far I've picked up:
Thrice - Alchemy Index box set
Brand New - Daisy
Coheed and Cambria - No World for Tomorrow
Weatherbox - The Cosmic Drama
Say Anything - ...Is a Real Boy
Thursday - Common Existence
Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
Paramore - Riot!
Fun - Aim & Ignite
New Found Glory - Not Without a Fight
Besides that I have just been picking up some of my older favorites.
Alkaline Trio - Godamnit
Alkaline Trio - From Here to the Infirmary
Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile
Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About
Minus the Bear - Acoustics
Fall Out Boy - Evening Out With Your Girlfriend
Normally my hipster-tool instincts would suggest contempt for so many new people getting into vinyl, but I'm really loving all the new people getting into it because it's making a lot more records available and it's fun sharing love of the format with others. I'd say these have been my favorite releases on vinyl of the year:
1) Minus the Bear - Acoustics So crisp, so beautifully done, and with a really great tracklist. The baby blue/cream swirl is gorgeous, too.
2) As Tall As Lions - You Can't Take It With You Great album, and the vinyl had a bunch of great bonus tracks. Picked mine up at their in-store acoustic set at Rasputin, so they signed my copy (along with my self-titled and Into The Flood) to me and my now-fiancee.
3) Discovery - LP Just a really fun record. It has its ups and downs but it's a great party album to throw onto the turntable.
4) Andrew Bird - Noble Beast 180 gram double-LP with gorgeous artwork, and you can really feel the warmth on this record. This was actually a birthday present for my fiancee.
5) Matt & Kim - Grand Albums like this one just work so well as a cohesive work, I think someone is robbing themselves of an experience when they just play at track or two from it. Definitely the pair's best.
New Distances kicks ass, so glad you're repping it. Axe to Fall on vinyl is absolutely disgustingly awesome. I was very stoked to pick up Wilco - Summerteeth and The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About in terms of older stuff. Expecting the Kevin Devine - Brother's Blood vinyl to be badass. Though I didn't love the album, the art for Portugal. the Man - The Satanic Satanist is superb.