Username
Password

Comments: Page 21
Displaying posts 300 - 315 of 611
02:42 PM on 12/07/09
coryatlarge
Damn good coffee. And hot!
User Info.
well spin freezes up my computer so i wont read the article but wow. radiohead is a mainstream band. are they over rated? i would think that its about the same argument as are the beatles over rated. i mean there is always going to be someone that doesnt like that band but the majority of people in the world know/ have heard of radiohead/the beatles.
Analog Rebellion
User Info.
Indie has become a buzzword for songs that aren't verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus.
I think the misuse of the term isn't quite that broad, but the entire situation is funny, since some of the most quintessentially 'indie' music actually is verse chorus verse chorus...
poppa Q
LBTBG
User Info.
Radiohead is the band that people who don't know anything about music claim to love just because it's Radiohead.
Clearly, because people who don't know anything about music know something about Radiohead.

Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
stars are blind or whatever was heavily aired.

besides, the music was total pandering. and her body was the main selling point, IMO.

but I laughed because it shows what this thread has got to in terms of what being talked about.
Most threads on this site get way off topic, but at least the discussion in this one is interesting.
02:43 PM on 12/07/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
Indie has become a buzzword for songs that aren't verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus.
We think alike.
02:45 PM on 12/07/09
Holly HoX!
User Info.
A lot of things that you would call indie these days is mainstream. You're doing really awesome in this thread. Keep it up.
I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. Most movies/commercials are using music that is under the 'indie' umbrella...passion pit and phoenix are both on various commercials. At what point does 'indie' sound become so widespread that it isn't really 'indie' anymore. Basically, 'indie' is mainstream right now. I think on a mass level, 'indie' music is becoming the popular form of music. MGMT is another great example.
02:46 PM on 12/07/09
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Most threads on this site get way off topic, but at least the discussion in this one is interesting.
I'd disagree with it being interesting but I am here, aren't i? Lame of me.

I just see definitions being debated, and occasionally slandered over.

edit: I like it better when people disagree over concrete things or events, instead of simply agreeing but using different words.

edit2: shall I pronounce Indie dead?
Analog Rebellion
User Info.
Kind of like pop punk is a widely misused term. Like how Blink's self titles is called "pop punk". Total buzzword.
k1guitar
Keep calm and BLEGH!
User Info.
this article is purely meant to piss off people from someone who isin't a huge fan of the post kid a output. he still admits that the first three albums were amazing, but thinks their a little too full of themselves. does everyone need to kill each other over some dude's oppinion?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think the misuse of the term isn't quite that broad, but the entire situation is funny, since some of the most quintessentially 'indie' music actually is verse chorus verse chorus...
Indie is supposed to represent independent but, with the advent of the Internet and the popular indie bands getting signed to labels and all other bands that spawned that started to sound like that (and having the same faux mindset using it to attract teens trying to be against the major label grain), the entire meaning has been lost. I took an entire class on this in college and earned a lot of respect for Ani DiFranco because of how she does music for a living.
02:47 PM on 12/07/09
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
.. which is why the entire discussion has been rooted in subjectivity.

.. it was never like that BTW.
I know I was just calling it like it is, thats the problem with message boards sometimes. Sarcasm and humor don't always get across, the whole problem with bands in general is how people classify them. Completely unrelated to Radiohead at all but a good example of genre confusion would be Trivium. Because their breakthrough record "Ascendancy" came out and featured screaming, they wore black, were young, many lumped them into the metalcore genre because their record came out towards the end of metalcore's popularity. Because of that many called them a metalcore band, but they aren't one, nor were they ever. How people classify bands has always and probably will always be debated.
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. Most movies/commercials are using music that is under the 'indie' umbrella...passion pit and phoenix are both on various commercials. At what point does 'indie' sound become so widespread that it isn't really 'indie' anymore. Basically, 'indie' is mainstream right now. I think on a mass level, 'indie' music is becoming the popular form of music. MGMT is another great example.
Bingo.

dino dna
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
Death Cab and The Shins are verse chorus etc. bands that are commonly referred to as indie. I think it's more that it has become synonymous with the term "experimental", since most popular indie bands also stray outside the 2 guitars, bass, drums set up as well.
02:48 PM on 12/07/09
Analog Rebellion
User Info.
Indie music crossed over much earlier than MGMT.
02:48 PM on 12/07/09
wkebrder35
Driver F / Tyler
User Info.
I will totally agree with this, or what about Phoenix being in a Cadillac commercial that I saw at least 23243454x a day. I will definitely say "indie" is more in the mainstream than it has ever been. And I'm not saying that's good or bad, just an observation.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos