Username
Password

02:43 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
bard
No Avatar Selected
Fort Worth, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
i think not. if my tattoos are not offensive in any way and i have a clean record, i dont see why i cannot represent anything or anybody.
you are correct in thinking this, but that just isn't the way the world works.

sucks.

btw, what and where are your tattoos anyways?
02:43 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
well, i saw sum1 here say its the same with models, u may not be hired because of a tattoo. but that doesnt apply, a model is literally hired for his/her physical looks. at TSA my physical appearance doesn't matter. it is discrimination.

i hate when i hear people say that the company has to be taken seriously or that tattoos let off a bad image. that's ignorant as hell. the reason tattoos let off a "bad image" or aren't taken seriously is because the big companies require those with tattoos to cover them or won't hire them at all. that translates into the public, who are ignorant and discriminative, to think there must be something wrong with tattoos if the people who have them are not chosen to represent the company regardless of w/e they have already completely or accomplished to become an employee of the company. it's ridiculous.

just like how the military is very picky about letting people sign up with tattoos but god forbid there's a draft, every1 is going. tattoos or not. so they won't let us defend the country because we want to but when the country's back is against the wall, they'll force us in. that's bullshit.

another good point is this. if there is a doctor who is magnificent at heart transplants and you needed 1 but he had a huge tattoo on his hand of god-knows-what, would you deem him incapable of performing the surgery? or would you not take him seriously? or on a less serious note, if you were at the beach and you got dragged under by a riptide and a lifeguard with a throat full of tattoos jumped in to save you, would you turn him down? would you deny him giving you cpr because you think his throat tattoos make him look dirty?

i think not. if my tattoos are not offensive in any way and i have a clean record, i dont see why i cannot represent anything or anybody.
You seem to be responding as if we think tattoos are bad. We don't, we're just talking about the general public's perceptions of tattoos.
02:45 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
gabrielM
i read so many ppl saying tattoos are unprofessional but that's ignorant. im sorry. but it is. it's ignorant to deny someone the opportunity to better themself because of a tattoo. because of a love for art. because of someone wanting to get a mark of a special time in their life or be creative or express something that moves them. it sucks. it's sad.

this country isnt equal and that proves it completely.
02:47 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
bard
No Avatar Selected
Fort Worth, TX
Male - 27 Years Old
i read so many ppl saying tattoos are unprofessional but that's ignorant. im sorry. but it is. it's ignorant to deny someone the opportunity to better themself because of a tattoo. because of a love for art. because of someone wanting to get a mark of a special time in their life or be creative or express something that moves them. it sucks. it's sad.

this country isnt equal and that proves it completely.
are you even reading the discussion in this thread?

everyone is saying that they don't think tattoos aren't professional, in their personal opinion. they're just saying that business DO think they're unprofessional, and that sucks. it's just the truth.
02:49 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
gabrielM
someone asked what my tats were. the visible 1s on my hands are a rose on my right hand with the words STAY TRUE around it. Last Hope across my fingers. Believe In Me... in cursive on my palms. and Vena Amoris on my left ring finger.

and ur rite perceptrons, im sorry. i know you all dont think tats are bad or are even saying that. but im just trying to say that look how we all know that tats are supposed to be bad or unprofessional. but why do we know that? because it was forced upon us. we may not believe it but we know it. and it's a shame.

it's a big time letdown and it's kinda disgusting that in a country as strong as ours, that's a problem.
02:52 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
gabrielM
tattoos being unprofessional, wether we believe it or not, should no longer be floating around. they are not unprofessional if you master your craft or are good at your job. what makes me professional is how i carry myself and speak to the public or co-workers (whoever i interact with at my job), how i work and how well i can do my job, the respect i give those around me. not the fact of me having a tattoo on my hand or throat.
03:11 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
kbi the crowing
dr( )ning the days away
discrimination is not hiring someone because of race or something. something they didn't get to choose.

you sound like Fred Phelps
03:14 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
kbi the crowing
dr( )ning the days away
hey everyone, i recently had a big problem with the tattoos on my skin. i love my tattoos with everything in me and i dont regret them. i have tats down my arms, my chest, my hands and my fingers. none of them are gang/drug related or sexual. theyre all symbols of indivitualism and artwork i personally love and tell or hold stories within them.

anyhow, the problem is this; over a year and a half ago i had applied for work with TSA (transportation security association), for those who arent sure what that is, it's the security at the airport. it's a great job to build a career from, with great pay, great benefits and great opportunities to continue to work for the federal government. i know other people who work there as well. now, since it's security at the airport and the government is involved, it has a very extensive hiring process which i've been in for a year and a half. i passed background checks, credit checks, medical exams including eye and ear tests, general knowledge tests, xray tests, color exams and even had to collect information for the past 10 years of my job and living history. the process was really long but i was feeling good and confident i would get the job soon because i was passing all of those exams and tests. i even had a face to face interview with a superior in TSA. during the interview he saw my tattoos on my hands and said that those may be a problem in the future with TSA but not to become an entry level officer because i would be required to wear gloves at the checkpoints anyhow. i said ok, that's not a problem, i'll cross that bridge when i get there. i just wanted to get my foot in the door. he even went as far as telling me how nice my tattoos were and how some of the employees for TSA have some and i told him about the employees i knew who also had some tattoos. so i passed that interview as well.

the problem came when i got a call last week from TSA Miami and i thought i was going to be set up for my final training and finally be hired. instead they told me they had new policies and had to ask me a few questions. 1st they asked if i had worked for TSA before and i said no. the next question was "do u have any tattoos that the TSA uniform cannot cover?" i said yes, but i was told they wouldn't be a problem to be an entry level officer for TSA and i would have to wear gloves at the checkpoints to deal with the public anyhow. the woman said that gloves are not considered part of the uniform even though i would have to wear them. she then told me i wouldnt be hired or considered for hiring because of the tattoos on my hands.

what bothered me the most is that i was told that the real reason i wont be hired is because of my tattoos. even more so, TSA prides itself on being "an equal opportunity employer" when in all reality my opportunity was taken from me because of tattoos on my hand. tattoos neither make me more or less qualified to do a job but they basically told me i was unqualified to do the job because of the tattoos on my hands.

i currently work for my county and represent them very well as a process server and my tattoos are not a problem. i'm shocked and disgusted that in a country as diverse and equal as ours, i was denied a job because of my tattoos. i was trying to get a good job and better myself and my situation and i was denied that because of my love for artwork.

the worst part is that i called a free legal hotline in my area and they told me that what was done to me is not ilegal because a tattoo is an external marking. it's something i added to my body. i still feel cheated and i still feel bad about what has happened to me. there's acts in place to defend religion, race, sexual orientation and gender in the work field but tattoos and those who have them don't get the same respect. it's a shame.

anyone have any ideas, opinions or just similar stories they wanna share?

I feel for you dude, my condolences.
03:15 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
optimusrob
I will haunt your dreams
Ellicottville, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Discrimination against the color of your skin
03:54 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 28 Years Old
That's fine, good for you. Be prepared to find employment elsewhere. YOU are the one asking for employment (in this hypothetical situation). You need them, not the other way around.

I'm not "mindlessly" siding with business. You have every right to make choices about your body, and businesses have every right to make choices that will allow them to be as successful and profitable as possible (with the exception of unfair discrimination, and I don't believe visible tattoos fall under that category).

The reason i'm saying you're mindlessly buying corporate bullshit is because you're ignoring the point that public perception of tattoos is completely different than it was twenty years ago.
04:04 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
anthonythings
libertarian.
Boston, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
It's pretty humorous reading some of the posts here.

Ideally, it wouldn't matter. But it does.

Ask your HR rep at work why they don't hire people with uncoverable tattoos. It's the same reason they require a "professional appearance" at work. You represent the company and the image they would like to project. If you can't adhere to that image, then good luck finding work elsewhere.
04:19 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
five inch taint
Bust Yo Spine
Citrus Heights, CA
Male
http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/foia/T...NAL_070621.pdf

"(6) Tattoos: Tattoos must be covered at all times and not visible to the general public. Officers whose tattoos are visible when wearing a short sleeve shirt must wear a long sleeve shirt on duty. Officers with visible arm tattoos should order long sleeve shirts when placing their initial uniform orders. Exceptions may be granted by the FSD only when the tattoo is covered by an acceptable band that does not detract from the uniform."

The Air Force is going to prevent some individuals with tattoos from re-enlisting.
04:36 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
SlappedActor
Tread lightly.
The reason i'm saying you're mindlessly buying corporate bullshit is because you're ignoring the point that public perception of tattoos is completely different than it was twenty years ago.

How did I ignore that exactly? I never said public perception hasn't changed. But obviously it hasn't changed enough, or the original post would never have been made. I'm still not sure what bullshit I'm supposedly buying.

Regardless of where public opinion on tattoos swings, tattoos are still a choice, and because of that, businesses still have the choice of choosing whether or not to incorporate tattoos into their company image. It simply makes it much less of an issue, or a non-issue entirely, if the public proves that they are accepting of doing business with people who have them, which hasn't happened (enough) yet.
04:40 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 28 Years Old
i'm just pro-people living how they want to and not having their jobs dictate their lifestyle.
04:47 PM on 12/09/09 
User Info.
ambulance
Minutes away, but miles apart
Atlanta, GA
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm getting tired of repeating myself. There are many, many jobs in which your appearance can be directly tied to your ability to do the job, aka MERIT. You've even agreed with this, I don't know why you keep driving this argument into the ground. Businesses want to make money. If it can be proven that you having visible tattoos can prevent them from making as much money as possible, they have every right to find somebody else who can do the job.

Look, I know how businesses work, you don't have to keep telling me. You keep ignoring the point I'm making. THIS SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE. IT IS DISCRIMINATION. I'm proposing that we need to move past this, and continuing to perpetuate this idea of what 'professionalism' LOOKS like is idiotic. Businesses, and people, need to move past this and the only way it's going to happen is from the businesses side. Should I even bring up race? Do you really expect the people to just magically realize that people with tattoos can be just as 'professional' and qualified as any other person in a suit and tie if they aren't given the chance to prove it? You are really getting annoying.

Nobody is limiting your freedom. Your body is your own, get as many tattoos as you want. Lots of people do it and do just fine in their lives. Unless you get some hardcore facial tattoos, you'll probably still be able to find a job somewhere, but it might not be the one you want. You just don't want to deal with any possible consequences of your choices.

Okay let me run this scenario by you, (you even said it yourself). 1. You want to get a tattoo 2. You don't because you realize it won't allow you to take full advantage of the job market 3. Your freedom has been limited.
Sure you still have 'freedom' in the existential sense, you can do what you want with your life and your body. The facticity of our life, however, prevents us from taking advantage of our full freedom. This is a superfluous limit on our freedom. It's discrimination.

Aren't you the one asking for employment? God forbid you actually have to meet some requirements to work for a company. Why should businesses have to to cater to you based on YOUR CHOICES? If you don't want to adapt to them, they'll find somebody else who can probably do the job just as good or better.

Yeah, you want to WORK for the business, not look pretty. If you meet those requirements you shouldn't be denied a job just because you have tattoos.

They shouldn't be catering, it should be a non-issue altogether.

Well, you make it so easy.

THIS FUCKING GUY.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS