AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
You Me At Six - Take Off Your Colors Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.67
Musicianship 9.83
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.75
Creativity 9.33
Lasting Value 9.67
Reviewer Tilt 9.92
Average: 97%
Inside AP.net

You Me At Six - Take Off Your Colors

Reviewed by: iheartmusic043 (11/30/09)
You Me At Six - Take Off Your Colors
Record Label: Slam Dunk/ Epitaph
Release Date:October 6, 2008(UK), July 21, 2009 (US release/deluxe edition), September 14, 2009 (UK re-release/deluxe edition)

Catchy, fun, British, and fresh. Those are just some of the words that come to mind when I listen to You Me At Six. YM@6 are a young, promising pop/rock/punk band from Surrey, UK. Though new to the states, they have become relatively popular in their home land due to many festival performances and tours, such as a recent tour with Paramore. For US fans, 20 tracks for a cd may seem like alot of songs to put out for a debut cd, but this cd is actually a deluxe edition of their UK release.

Take Off Your Colors is an example of good modern pop/rock cd. It's rediculously catchy with memorable melodies, distinctive hooks, and paces that keep you on your toes. Their songs vary in tempo from fast paced rock with "Save It For The Bedroom", a slow ballad, "Always Attract", and mid tempo diddies, such as "Finders Keepers". The things that makes this band different from similar bands in this genre are that this band has surprisingly witty lyrics that aren't cliche-laden like most pop/rock songs, they have a talented singer, Josh Franceschi, who can sing earnestly but also rock out, and they are legitimately talented musicians (they are just as good live as they are on the album).

What they lack in originality (ie. their main sujects are girls, some songs are repetitive) they make up for in pure catchiness. "Finders Keepers" is a stellar track that stands out from the rest of the cd because it's a little more pop than rock. It has surprisingly good lyrics, especially in the chorus: "Finders Keepers will you keep me in mind? I like secrets cause they keep me in line. Old habits die hard, but I'm too young to die..." Another stand out track is "Kiss and Tell", which about a girl that plays with guys' minds. A typical band that sing songs about this subject (ie. The Maine) would would have written unoriginal lyrics, but something about YMA6's lyrics are fresh. With a lyric like "Kiss and tell everybody else. You're at your best when I'm making, making baby steps", it sounds more original than your average kiss off song. They may not be the next Beatles, but they definitely have more lasting power than most of their contemporaries. Josh, along with Dan Flint (drums), Max Heyler (rythm guitar/backing vocals), Chris Miller (lead guitar), and Matt Barnes (bass) make up one of the best new bands to come out of 2009.

If you don't buy the cd, at least check out "Finders Keepers", "Kiss and Tell", "Save It For the Bedroom", Jealous Minds Think Alike", and "If I Were In Your Shoes".

Track Listing:

1.The Truth Is A Terrible Thing
2.Gossip
3.Call That A Comeback
4.Jealous Minds Thinks Alike
5.Save It For The Bedroom
6.Take Off Your Colors
7.You've Made You're Bed (So Sleep In It)
8.If You Run
9.Tigers And Sharks
10.If I Were In Your Shoes
11.Always Attract (featuting Elissa Franceschi)
12.Nasty Habits
13.The Rumor
14.Kiss And Tell
15.Finders Keepers
16.Sweet Feet
17.All Your Fault
18.Blue Eyes Don't Lie
19.Save It For The Bedroom (acoustic)
29.Finders Keepers (acoustic)

myspace.com/youmeatsix

purevolume.com/youmeatsix

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
11:55 AM on 12/22/09
J.Hearne
Is This It
User Info.
brilliant review of my favourite record ever
01:21 PM on 12/22/09
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Those lyrics are awful.
04:14 PM on 12/22/09
fanberlinboy
Having trouble inside my skin...
User Info.
Good review. Love this band. Nice RIYL, too haha.
01:22 PM on 12/26/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band sold out so fast.
09:58 PM on 12/30/09
iheartmusic043
KKCO
User Info.
brilliant review of my favourite record ever

Good review. Love this band. Nice RIYL, too haha.

Thanks guys. Love this band. Heard their 2 new songs and I'm not sure if it's gonna be as good as this album. I'm sick of bands putting out good first albums or eps and then make a terrible 2nd albulm or ep.
10:13 PM on 12/30/09
fanberlinboy
Having trouble inside my skin...
User Info.
Thanks guys. Love this band. Heard their 2 new songs and I'm not sure if it's gonna be as good as this album. I'm sick of bands putting out good first albums or eps and then make a terrible 2nd albulm or ep.
I liked the clips that they had in that video preview thing.
04:30 PM on 12/31/09
J.Hearne
Is This It
User Info.

the two new songs are really good in my opinion especially the concequence if you've heard it. i think this record will be awsome and i'm seeing them live on the day it comes out :)
07:38 PM on 12/31/09
iheartmusic043
KKCO
User Info.
the two new songs are really good in my opinion especially the concequence if you've heard it. i think this record will be awsome and i'm seeing them live on the day it comes out :)

The songs are good but not great in comparison to the songs off of TOYC. Their first album was full of hit after hit and the two new songs are just decent.
10:02 PM on 01/03/10
nathaniel
User Info.
I met this band, they are cool guys. It's a nice album with a lot of tracks, but in all honesty about 3/4 of the songs exactly the same.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums