AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
You Say Party! We Say Die! - Lose All Time Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 6
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 85%

You Say Party! We Say Die! - Lose All Time

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (03/20/07)
You Say Party! We Say Die!Lose All Time
Label: Paper Bag Records
Release Date: March 20, 2007

Lose All Time is an album title that delivers. It is very easy to get lost in Becky Ninkovic’s mesmerizing voice. Somewhere between a pubescent boy and Karen O, Ninkovic has way more balls than both. You Say Party! We Say Die! have all the ingredients to be a force of (insert any qualifier here)-punk. However, I’m going to believe that all they want me to do is burn a hole in my new Airwalks while dancing to the grooving bass lines and poppy pianos.

You Say Party! We Say Die! mesh an impressive array of songs and structures into Lose All Time. “Monster”, one of the many standout tracks, is a mid-tempo song in which Krista Loewen’s keyboards shine among the simple, melodic repetition of “Our Hearts”. “Like I Give A Care” features scratchy, distorted vocals. The track is a fist-pumping punk track about, you guessed it, not caring about anyone else. “Moon” opens with a blistering guitar riff and terse vocals from Ninkovic. The repetition of (ironic) gang vocal outro “It was for the sun” will strain your vocal chords without testing your patience.

The biggest surprise of Lose All Time is easily “Dancefloor Destroyer”. This song will still have you on the floor, but you will be holding the hands of a loved one, gently swaying back and forth (trying to keep “Willie” at bay, we’ve all been there). The song is just Ninkovic over a classical piano. Right when all I thought she did was a controlled whelp, Ninkovic stunned me. Her beautiful alto would sound better in a concert hall than in the inevitable indie/dive bars the band will perform.

In a matter of days, You Say Party! We Say Die! have taken over my life. I missed lunch yesterday. I forgot to brush my teeth, and I have been wearing the same underwear for far too long. I’m sad that the initial shock of the greatness that is Lose All Time has worn off. I could try going without my fix cold turkey. But as most experts say, relapse is the rule, not the exception.

Recommended If You Like: Tapes N' Tapes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, solar eclipses, Tokyo Police Club, the Virgin Mary

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
08:10 PM on 03/20/07
Mike Kraft
It'll get you drunk!
User Info.
People still wear Airwalks?
11:07 AM on 03/21/07
theshareef
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
:) Noice review, got me listening to these guys and I'm actually really digging it.
04:18 PM on 03/21/07
.KillMoneen.
User Info.
i love the old cd hope this one adds up
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles