Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 51
10:34 PM on 03/28/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
I would consider The Audition far better than Daphne Loves Derby, personally.

Really? Wow. That's unfortunate Steve.

10:37 PM on 03/28/07
fecalman2
Yoshioguppy
User Info.
I love this album. I see what everyone's saying about the marching band intro, but I think it's just creative. This band is awesome, and they were incredibly nice guys too. Did you know Kenny Choi is like 6'3"? The guy is a lot bigger than I thought.
11:12 PM on 03/28/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Uh? It's by no means "average" as 50's imply. Average is bands like The Audition or Punchline.

It's average to me. I don't find much enjoyment out of this album.
11:21 PM on 03/28/07
Jawknee
Blue moon, where are you today?
User Info.
What a terrible thing to say that with Jason Call gone they might get out of their funk -- it's as if you're saying he was holding them back. I really am appalled by that comment. I don't see what's wrong with the Marching Band Intro, in fact it's a great lead into their first single. The lyrics are the same as before you say? Not really. Look at "To Struggle, Love & Mercy, No One Is, Iron in the, etc. -- totally darker than the last album. A 5 in creativity? Right, because the cello, trumpet, banjo, accordion, harp, harmonica, keyboards, marching band percussion, and french horn among other instruments were not nearly as creative as the past album that lacked all of those things. This album deserves at LEAST an 80% -- if that. I agree with the album being the better with the first and last track but it was a much better album than the last one -- not just a little bit -- a lot.
11:25 PM on 03/28/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
The lyrics are the same as before you say? A 5 in creativity?

You're a moron for saying that when clearly I said the opposite.

As for Jason's departure, I only implied adding "fresh blood" to the band may inspire a new direction.

Get off your fucking high horse, and quit being "appalled" by the smallest things.
11:40 PM on 03/28/07
Jawknee
Blue moon, where are you today?
User Info.

As for Jason's departure, I only implied adding "fresh blood" to the band may inspire a new direction.

Get off your fucking high horse, and quit being "appalled" by the smallest things.
Wow, first of all, I have every right to make remarks on your review - if you can't handle someone doing that without calling names then don't write a review at all.

"Lyrically, this is about as straightforward as Kenny has gone. There’s not nearly as much imagination here found in past songs such as 'A Year On An Airplane'." I took that as, "the lyrics are pretty simple and were better on the last album," if that's not what you meant, then by all means I apologize.

And I can get appalled at anything I want. Grow up. Act like you're staff here, not a 16 year old brat.
11:57 PM on 03/28/07
Imtheotherguy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
that marching band intro is so cheesy. sounds like they did all the instruments on a roland electric drumset.
05:22 AM on 03/29/07
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
I would have rated it much lower overall, but the number is pretty irrelevant. I liked this CD a lot less than you did.

I feel like the band took a couple steps back in everything except for self-indulgence. The songs came off as almost artificial at times, unlike the majority of the last album.

And to the guy ranting that this album deserves an 80% or more, read the review instead of the numbers. Scott pointed out the good and bad parts of the album, which is a hell of a lot more important than a stupid number to sum it up. Stop worrying about two digits. It will save everyone here a lot of aggravation responding to it and other users the irritation of reading it over and over again.
05:38 AM on 03/29/07
TheArdentLove
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think I touched on that...

I know you did. I didn't say you didn't touch on that...

I just had the same feeling on it.

My remark wasn't aimed toward your review as much as it was aimed at everyone in general. You did a good job reviewing it though.
06:45 AM on 03/29/07
Brett9
a creative username?
User Info.
great review, Scott! I was surprised by this album when I listened to the full stream on Fuse. I think I'll be picking it up - though I agree with almost everything you said about the band as a whole. It's almost frustrating to see this band not living up to their potential with each release. The talent is definitely there, but for some reason, they can't bring it all together to make it work. This album, in my opinion, is at least a step in the right direction.
07:33 AM on 03/29/07
blinkredstar
User Info.
Am I the only one who absolutely loved this album?
07:36 AM on 03/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.

Settle down, killa. Pick your battles.
07:41 AM on 03/29/07
TheArdentLove
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Am I the only one who absolutely loved this album?

I absolutely love it.
08:11 AM on 03/29/07
Johnnydcp
User Info.
I second Steve's comment about the Audition
08:28 AM on 03/29/07
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Couple comments:

I was very dissapointed by the production, I'm just not a Squire fan and I think he really held them back. Too many tricks.

The Audition is mediocre. Punchline is one of the worst bands in the scene.

Jawknee is a gigantic Daphne fan and he's going to argue anything you have to say about them if it isn't super nice.

The end.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version