Lukasandtell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
personally, I loved this record
10:12 AM on 03/29/07
brentkid
I am no king.
User Info.
What a terrible thing to say that with Jason Call gone they might get out of their funk -- it's as if you're saying he was holding them back. I really am appalled by that comment. I don't see what's wrong with the Marching Band Intro, in fact it's a great lead into their first single. The lyrics are the same as before you say? Not really. Look at "To Struggle, Love & Mercy, No One Is, Iron in the, etc. -- totally darker than the last album. A 5 in creativity? Right, because the cello, trumpet, banjo, accordion, harp, harmonica, keyboards, marching band percussion, and french horn among other instruments were not nearly as creative as the past album that lacked all of those things. This album deserves at LEAST an 80% -- if that. I agree with the album being the better with the first and last track but it was a much better album than the last one -- not just a little bit -- a lot.
It's pretty obvious he meant that someone new may help them steer in a new direction. Don't let the sand in your vagina get to you like that.
11:09 AM on 03/29/07
mortal soldier
User Info.
"Daphne have all the song writing ability and stirring musicianship down pat; proving undeserving of asshole Fall Out Boy comparisons amongst other snide review tools to degrade these guys to the level of some band riding the waves of Something Corporate and Copeland’s success."

Did you actually read the review you linked to? It actually encourages the reader to disavow any comparison to bands like Fall Out Boy and is far from "asshole"ish. There's no snide attitude or degradation; it actually gives a more positive review of the album then you do.

Here are some quotes from that review:

"Daphne Loves Derby is, far and away, miles ahead better and more intelligent than the bands they vaguely resemble"

"Essentially by the time you’re about three tracks in and thoroughly enjoying “Iron In The Backseat,” you realize that the Fall Out Boy comparisons were a bit foolish, now"
11:37 AM on 03/29/07
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
i have yet to hear this album, but plan on picking it up. i love old daphne stuff, but it seems like this album is either hit or miss with most people.

and why the hate for punchline and the audition? those are solid bands in my book.
11:49 AM on 03/29/07
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
i have yet to hear this album, but plan on picking it up. i love old daphne stuff, but it seems like this album is either hit or miss with most people.

and why the hate for punchline and the audition? those are solid bands in my book.
Punchline is probably the worst band around playing pop-punk. How people can enjoy that empty, off-tune, lifeless pop-punk is beyond me.
12:08 PM on 03/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Quote:
snide review tools to degrade these guys to the level of some band riding the waves of Something Corporate and Copeland’s success.

In my opinion, DLD always has been and always will be a far less engaging, watered-down version of Copeland, just like the hundreds of other bands trying to follow in Copeland's wake. Not trying to knock the review in the least...just thought I would share my opinion on the band.
12:12 PM on 03/29/07
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
In my opinion, DLD always has been and always will be a far less engaging, watered-down version of Copeland, just like the hundreds of other bands trying to follow in Copeland's wake. Not trying to knock the review in the least...just thought I would share my opinion on the band.
I've never even thought to compare the two bands, considering how much more upbeat and poppy Daphne's music is as a whole. I wouldn't even put them in the same sentence personally.
12:15 PM on 03/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I've never even thought to compare the two bands, considering how much more upbeat and poppy Daphne's music is as a whole. I wouldn't even put them in the same sentence personally.
Okay - to each his own. First time I ever heard them, thats the parallel I drew, and I know tons of others think the same thing. Listen to a song like "Debussy" and tell me you don't hear any similarities.
12:36 PM on 03/29/07
eclipsegts1
User Info.
you guys should also notice how a lot of the lyrics on the new album refer to a lot of lyrics of their past songs. it's pretty neat to find them.
03:05 PM on 03/29/07
SureShot9
godspeed us to sea
User Info.
I'm kinda upset that this review didn't mention "Cue The Sun!" which is, by far, the best track on the album. That's where the bands talent really shines, and it seems like it only comes through on that one track. I am a huge fan of the Acoustic EP they released, and Closing Down The Pattern Department, but the last 2 full lengths just haven't done it for me. They need to find a producer they really click with.
04:28 PM on 03/29/07
shaki324
likes songs with clapping
User Info.
thanks for the review! i'm going to their CD release show tonight but oddly enough i'm a little more excited to see Self Against City play. that's not how it should be here's hoping Daphne can change my mind.
09:52 PM on 03/29/07
Vismund_Cygnus
User Info.
They're a great band...but still doubtful about this album.

Maybe later...
10:50 PM on 03/29/07
Jawknee
Blue moon, where are you today?
User Info.
Okay - to each his own. First time I ever heard them, thats the parallel I drew, and I know tons of others think the same thing. Listen to a song like "Debussy" and tell me you don't hear any similarities.
I don't actually. I never once thought to compare them to Copeland. Might just be you.
10:54 PM on 03/29/07
Jawknee
Blue moon, where are you today?
User Info.
Couple comments:

I was very dissapointed by the production, I'm just not a Squire fan and I think he really held them back. Too many tricks.

The Audition is mediocre. Punchline is one of the worst bands in the scene.

Jawknee is a gigantic Daphne fan and he's going to argue anything you have to say about them if it isn't super nice.

The end.
Sorta true not really. You have Gatsbys, I have Daphne.

The first time I listened to this new Daphne release -- it started off really good. It started to die down, then it picked up again at the end. So just like the reviewer said -- strong entrance, strong ending, sorta jumbled middle. But once I listened again -- I fell in love. I hate judging albums on first listens (even movies with a first watch -- yes, sometimes I watch a movie more than once to make a final opinion). The new record is for sure a better record than the last and they're going in a great direction -- maybe a bit slowly, but they're getting there. I do apologize for any exaggeration in earlier posts.
02:55 AM on 03/31/07
loveandwar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is their sophmore album, and its stronger than the first. which is very hard to find these days. the boys are still very young. they stick to their format in writing and it creates success. you can't judge an album by one listen. the copeland comparison is lame. they are influenced by copeland, but by no means watered down. they are poppier, but still have slower melodies in the album. doing that shows they have variety in stlyes. expect huge things from daphne. they have alot to come. i will say the early demos will always be the best for me, but the new material is great and shows maturity.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums