AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Album Leaf, The - A Chorus of Storytellers Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 7.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.38
Musicianship 4.13
Lyrics 3.38
Production 4
Creativity 3.13
Lasting Value 4.13
Reviewer Tilt 3.88
Average: 37%

Album Leaf, The - A Chorus of Storytellers

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (02/04/10)
The Album Leaf - A Chorus of Storytellers
Record Label: Sub Pop
Release Date: February 2, 2010

A Chorus of Storytellers is about fifty minutes of delicate ambient pop with light electronic textures and some vocals here and there. If you're at all familiar with The Album Leaf, that shouldn't come as any kind of surprise. The fifth full-length from the (formerly) solo project of Jimmy LaValle (also of Tristeza and formerly of several other bands, including Swing Kids) falls squarely in line with his previous offerings (despite the fact that he's now recording with a full band), and depending on what you're looking for, this can be a good or a bad thing. Fans will likely be satisfied by yet another consistent release, but those seeking some signs of artistic growth won't be finding it here. It would be unfair to expect LaValle to suddenly start making more pulse-pounding music, but even so, Storytellers doesn't offer much in the way of new ideas.

"Perro" ushers the album in with a mellow drone and what sound like ghostly field-recorded voices. "Blank Pages" continues in a very up-the-middle Album Leaf fashion with electric piano, electronic percussion and lazily weaving strings, and it's followed by "There Is a Wind", the disc's first vocal track. In the span of these first three songs, the newcomer is offered a succinct summary of The Album Leaf's discography thus far. Across LaValle's catalog, you'll find various combinations of the near-silent hum of the opener, the slow-building creep of the comparatively rhythmic second song, and the occasional vocal piece, which usually takes The One AM Radio's hushed indie electronic style and adds a dash of hopefulness.

"Within Dreams" is beautifully melodic with lush orchestration, but it also brings into sharp focus one issue I've always had with The Album Leaf. When you have otherwise organic arrangements, the glitchy electronic beats can make something that could be warm and majestic sound slightly cold and clinical. Still, it stands as the strongest cut on The Chorus of Storytellers and perhaps my favorite that LaValle has released under his solo moniker. "Falling From the Sun" highlights another drawback. It's one of the vocal tunes sprinkled throughout the album, and its repetitive "chorus" ("find a way to fall") detracts from the fact that it's one of the more interesting tracks musically.

More so than any other songs here, "Stand Still" and "We Are" put the "rock" in The Album Leaf's post-rock (at least comparatively speaking). The focus of the instrumental parts is rooted much more in melody than in texture, but unfortunately the former is a little too circular to completely command attention for five full minutes, and the latter features more of LaValle's reserved but run-of-the-mill vocals. Considerably softer is the appropriately titled "Summer Fog", which rolls in slowly and lingers awhile before lifting softly, as if being burned off by the rising sun. Similar is "Tied Knots", whose slide guitar washes bring the album to a gentle close.

When it comes down to it, I guess everyone has their niche, and as The Album Leaf, LaValle seems comfortable being the man making laid-back soundtracks for nocturnal reflection. For what it is, A Chorus of Storytellers is a steady, if predictable, addition to his catalog. In comparison with the current post-rock landscape, it's largely uninteresting, but in creating a palatable easy-listening experience, it's a definite success. Like its predecessors, though, this is one story that's probably best told at bedtime.

Track Listing1. Perro (2:55)
2. Blank Pages (4:28)
3. There Is a Wind (5:47)
4. Within Dreams (4:46)
5. Falling From the Sun (4:56)
6. Stand Still (4:50)
7. Summer Fog (4:43)
8. Until the Last (4:16)
9. We Are (4:04)
10. Almost There (4:54)
11. Tied Knots (4:18)

LinksCheck out The Album Leaf on Myspace and last.fm.
Preview/Buy the album at Amazon MP3

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
05:38 PM on 02/04/10
thousandssteps
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the cd is good, better then is last
06:02 PM on 02/04/10
Grammercy Riffs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Definitely sounds interesting!
06:27 PM on 02/04/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I like this record but only if I'm in the exact same mood as lavalle was in when he recorded it.
07:09 PM on 02/04/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I actually really love this record. I love the wistful, breezy nature of it. I hadn't really listened to much of their stuff before this disc, so maybe that's why it has such an impact. But I really do love it.
04:52 AM on 02/05/10
thechetearly
thechetearly
User Info.
SO SO SO SO SO GOOD.

I wish there was a lot less singing. Or like...no singing.

But other than that the freaking Album Leaf ROCKS.
05:14 AM on 02/05/10
jrtbighurt
[SOMEONEcallANambulance]
User Info.
much love for the album leaf.
06:52 AM on 02/05/10
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
Will have to check out. Love Album Leaf.
08:02 AM on 02/05/10
thousandssteps
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
SO SO SO SO SO GOOD.

I wish there was a lot less singing. Or like...no singing.

But other than that the freaking Album Leaf ROCKS.
i agree,,,im not a fan of the singing
08:29 AM on 02/05/10
sweetforever
User Info.
Need to listen to this more
12:17 PM on 02/05/10
Tristan Needler
This is forever.
User Info.
I have to check this out. Love The Album Leaf.
12:34 PM on 02/05/10
roberthuston
User Info.
Predictable release for this band is a-okay for me. I love them.
05:23 PM on 02/05/10
oldwirehands
pherm
User Info.
Its a great Album Leaf. Plain and simple.
11:32 PM on 02/05/10
MarkyMark1984
****** of the funky bunch
User Info.
I usually use the album leaf as falling asleep music... used it for studying when i was in college. Good relaxing type music for me... i'll be sure to check it out!
08:43 AM on 02/06/10
Alison1488
____
User Info.
I love the Album Leaf. I discovered them on a whim, and have never turned back since. I always listen to "One Day I'll Be on Time" when it's bed time because it is so calming. Beautiful music. I can't wait to hear this album.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS