AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Tony Sly - 12 Song Program Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Tony Sly - 12 Song Program

Reviewed by: Deborah Remus (02/16/10)
Tony Sly12 Song Program
Record Label: Fat Wreck Chords
Release Date: February 16, 2010

Tony Sly probably doesn’t need much of an introduction to people on this site. He’s already released many discs through Fat Wreck Chords, but this time the No Use For A Name front man is ditching the loud, distorted guitars for something softer. 12 Song Program is Sly’s first acoustic solo full-length and he proves he's capable of more than just playing pop-punk.

Back in December, the first taste of the record came when “The Shortest Pier” was posted and it’s a fitting example of what to expect. It’s retrospective and mellow, the tone and chorus depicting the lonely album art perfectly. The record closer “Fireball” is especially bittersweet and the way Sly sings the verses make it one of the album’s stronger tracks. It almost sounds as if he's actually in the room playing for you.

But that’s not to say there isn’t any fast-paced energy here. Some of the recognizable vibe from Acoustic, a split record with Lagwagon’s Joey Cape is present. “Second Act (End Credits)” is catchy and you can imagine it being played with a full band, much like you could when you listened to the stripped down version of the fist-pumping NUFAN tune “International You Day.” “Toaster in the Bathtub” is a cheesy song title, but it’s got an upbeat chorus and has some electric guitar underneath the strumming of acoustic chords and hand claps. He can still rock, even without a full band behind him.

Sly’s voice sounds as good as ever and he is responsible for most of the simple instrumentation, including the keyboard on tracks like “AM,” but he still gets some help. Karina Denike from ska-punk outfit Dance Hall Crashers never takes a solo, but she does contribute back-up vocals that blend in well with Sly’s on many of the tracks. The upbeat “Via Munich” features a violin and some accordion. Cape also sings a few lines of “Amends.”

At just a little over half an hour, Sly has created a nice collection of stripped down songs that’s actually a little shorter than some NUFAN records. If you’re looking for some great acoustic pop songs, or if you’re simply someone who has been anticipating this release since Acoustic came out, 12 Song Program doesn’t disappoint.

Track Listing1. Capo, 4th Fret
2. Via Munich
3. The Shortest Pier
4. Already Won
5. AM
6. Expired
7. Keira
8. Toaster in the Bathtub
9. Love, Sick Love
10. Amends
11. Second Act (End Credits)
12. Fireball

Recommended If You LikeNo Use For a Name, Joey Cape, Frank Turner

LinksCheck out Tony Sly on MySpace
Preview/Buy the Album at Amazon MP3

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
08:29 AM on 02/16/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice review. This album is really good.
08:34 AM on 02/16/10
*Ro'
www.playitloudfuckers.com
User Info.
Don't really think it sounds like Frank Turner, but great review!
09:46 AM on 02/16/10
satanisanerd
User Info.
Good review. This is actually an album that I really want to own.
10:00 AM on 02/16/10
RX XR
User Info.
always been a tony sly fan, gotta check this out.
10:20 AM on 02/16/10
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Good review, can't wait to pick this up.
10:46 AM on 02/16/10
jpgretzky15
undefeated
User Info.
Love his band, can't wait to hear this
11:05 AM on 02/16/10
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
nice review!

i love this album.
11:06 AM on 02/16/10
James RE Hughey
User Info.
Don't really think it sounds like Frank Turner, but great review!
I can hear a resemblance to Turner and also there is the fact of both guys doing something acoustic with their roots in punk that should be enough to connect them as RIYL bedmates.

Great review to this album.

The album on the listening party section of Spinner so everyone can listen to the whole thing now. I fell for it within the first few minutes.
11:42 AM on 02/16/10
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Thanks for all the kind words everyone! It means a lot, especially since this is my first review as staff.
12:14 PM on 02/16/10
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
awesome review. awesome record. love tony sly. such an underrated songwriter, has been for years & years.
02:14 PM on 02/16/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Great first review, Deborah -- glad to have a fellow punk enthusiast on board! I love this record. Probably gonna end up in my top 10. Tony is a fantastic songwriter, and this is the best work he's done in awhile. He hasn't been this good with NUFAN for some time (not to say they're bad or anything). It's focused and still different while keeping a nice intimacy to it all. Reminds me of Trever Keith's solo effort from a few years back.
09:27 AM on 02/23/10
tpnations
Tired and wired we ruin too easy...
User Info.
Very nice! I haven't listened to NUFAN in so long since my old CDs of theirs didn't survive the transfer over to digital. I love all things acoustic and always really liked Tony, so I'm definitely picking this up when I get home.
04:41 PM on 02/23/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Finally streamed the album, and it sounds great! Never been a huge fan of NUFAN, but I have a couple of their albums. I'm a sucker for the acoustic minimalist approach, so I'm giving this one a go.
07:13 PM on 02/23/10
tpnations
Tired and wired we ruin too easy...
User Info.
"Capo, 4th Fret" is easily one of my favorite songs in this early year. Dude's voice is as good as ever.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums