Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Weekly Nostalgia: Matthew Good Band

Posted by: Deborah Remus (02/17/10)
Even if you prefer Matthew Good’s recent solo efforts, I think it’s hard to deny that some very excellent records came out of his time in the Matthew Good Band. The Canadian alternative rock act formed in the early 90’s and released a record called Last of the Ghetto Astronauts before hitting it big with Underdogs in 1997. That album’s opener “Deep Six” has a catchy chorus that still pulls me in even to this day and “Apparitions” is one hauntingly beautiful track. My personal favourite though is Beautiful Midnight. It also happens to be their most commercially successful release, since the singles gained heavy radio rotation and earned the band two Junos. Even today you'll hear those singles on commercial Canadian radio sometimes and I think it's safe to say most people know at least on of those songs. The record itself celebrated its tenth anniversary last year and I remember watching the captivating music videos for “Strange Days” and Load Me Up” on MuchMusic. It was short lived though. Their last effort The Audio of Being was released in 2001 and the next year the Matthew Good Band dissolved due to tensions within the group. Do you remember the days when it wasn't just Matthew Good, but the Matthew Good Band? Feel free to share your memories in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
09:52 AM on 02/17/10
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Matthew Good Band"Indestructible"

"Hello Time Bomb"

"Load Me Up"

"Strange Days"

10:02 AM on 02/17/10
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
Believe it or not, i'm American and I love MGB. I got into them right before Beautiful Midnight came out and fell in love. Even though I never quite understood why they had a monkey on the disc haha. But still, 'Strange Days' was amazing and the intro into 'Giant' is nothing short of greatness.
10:08 AM on 02/17/10
TheOtherAndrew
[UNINTELLIGIBLE SCREAMING]
User Info.
Matthew Good's solo material is gold.
10:11 AM on 02/17/10
Wisher
eh
User Info.
as far as matthew good goes, born losers = effing awesome.
10:20 AM on 02/17/10
messiguy01
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My kind of nostalgia.

Def. with kennedy. Back when muchmusic was pumped in with all the other satellite channels, unsung Canadian heroes dug into my heart. Serial Joe, Treble Charger, GOB...bands I'd never have even heard otherwise, became instant favorites. But Matthew Good (Band) took hold like no other band/artist since, American or otherwise. I have every release since B.M. and to this day could easily put in any of the lot and listen start to finish. Stinging lyrics, haunting guitars...Good just has the whole package for me. "Suburbia" still plays me to peace and is probably my favorite MGB song.
10:31 AM on 02/17/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Excellent choice. My favorite is by far beautiful midnight. Was also a huge fan of the audio of being.
10:37 AM on 02/17/10
ARo2431
User Info.
I love his band From First To Last. Kidding, I know it's not the same person. This isn't too bad though I'll have to check out more.
10:45 AM on 02/17/10
Smash Adams
Ain't no thing like me, except me
User Info.
I always think he was in Watchmen
11:02 AM on 02/17/10
Supernovacaine
givin'er
User Info.
oh man this brings me back
11:15 AM on 02/17/10
ProudlyLastPlac
We Who Shall Inherit The Earth
User Info.
K-I-C-K-A-S-S That's the way we spell success!

Yeah, I have to agree with everything you said about Beautiful Midnight, and Load Me Up is still one of my favorite songs to this day.
11:27 AM on 02/17/10
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
My kind of nostalgia.

Def. with kennedy. Back when muchmusic was pumped in with all the other satellite channels, unsung Canadian heroes dug into my heart. Serial Joe, Treble Charger, GOB...bands I'd never have even heard otherwise, became instant favorites. But Matthew Good (Band) took hold like no other band/artist since, American or otherwise. I have every release since B.M. and to this day could easily put in any of the lot and listen start to finish. Stinging lyrics, haunting guitars...Good just has the whole package for me. "Suburbia" still plays me to peace and is probably my favorite MGB song.

Awesome comments like this make me even more sad to see what MuchMusic has become now. They should seriously take a cue from MTV and just drop the word "music" from their brand because they only care about reality TV and those really annoying comedians that they've hired now. Today you'd never know that I discovered Refused or Belvedere through that station. Nor do any of the VJs they've hired in the last few years come close to being as talented as George Stroumboulopoulos.
11:32 AM on 02/17/10
mgrogan048
User Info.
Really odd my friend and I were JUST talking about him 2 days ago. I've been on a huge MGB kick since then. Well played.
11:37 AM on 02/17/10
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.
Didn't he kick everyone out of the band and is still touring and recording?

Either way, the man knows rock/pop songwriting and penned some incredible tunes back in the day.
11:38 AM on 02/17/10
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
Matt Good is amazing. The Audio of Being is a stellar album and my personal favourite MGB album, although out of all of his work I have to say I like Hospital Music the best. Hospital Music is honestly one of the most haunting records I have ever heard, dealing with his depression and attempted suicide... great album.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests